France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Are you going on the Ferry or using the chunnel? Cite Europe is near the chunnel exit so a bit further away from Calais.
And please don't forget that the locals will all be stocking up too not just on Christmas goodies but on their regular shopping.

Might I suggest a bit of strategic planning - one trolley per person, and deciding who does what - booze, chocs, coffee, etc so that you each go to a specific area of the store and meet up at the check out ... and no, using mobile phones to check up on what the other is doing, is not a cop out!

Don't forget some tupperware for the cheeses or pates or you might find them very mushy halfway home.

You might also like to look up on each supermarket's website and see if they have a store planner so that you know where to aim for first, and MAKE A WHOPPING SHOPPING LIST!!
If it is purely a booze cruise and no culture then spending 15 mins driving to the Cire de Euripe may be better. Everything under one roof and plenty of places to eat as well from Macdonalds right up to the full French!

Take you Tesco points card if you have one as there is a Tesco Booze store in there as well and they give you your points. The only thing you may not find (we've never seen one) is somewhere to buy cigarettes and tobacco.
Thanks for replies. We are going on the ferry if that makes any difference. Good idea about getting 2 trollies - never even thought of that. We always end up with one that is a balancing act by the end of the trip. I'll leave the wine to my husband and i can look for the rest. Any more suggestions gratefully accepted.
Personally
I would travel down the the Auchan at Boulogne Wouldn't touch the Citie d Europe especially Tesco's very little choice compared to french supermarket and prices a lot higher than just down the road

tips
Make a list

get 2 trolleys -- decide who gets what

don't overload the trolley make 2 trips each if you have to

get cash and only spend that --- that way you'll stick to your budget :wlink
Have already done this shopping trip which was very successful. Did pass by cite europe which was heaving with people. Not my idea of fun.

Madcarravaner, for future reference , how long does it take to drive from calais ferry to boulogne as you think that would be a better experience. Also fancy visiting Boulogne.

Have a good c hristmas all - I will be enjoying my wine from france.
There is a big LeClerc in Boulogne. Calais to Boulogne is about 30/40 mins on the motorway or about a hour the pretty way on the coast road.
ESM posted
for future reference , how long does it take to drive from calais ferry to boulogne as you think that would be a better experience. Also fancy visiting Boulogne.

followed by Hi De Hi
There is a big LeClerc in Boulogne. Calais to Boulogne is about 30/40 mins on the motorway or about a hour the pretty way on the coast road.

Well we usually make Bolougne in around 20-30 mins (my mapping system says 26 minutes so !) and the Auchan is the largest in France there (I wonder why? NOT)

Bolougne is nice as a port town although Calais Town is prettier but by following the road to Bolougne you totally miss Calais town Centre which is a must the beach is best to stop at if you are visiting the town
If you want to eat in Boulogne then in the old town the Swan Restaurant is very good especially for sea food.
I like Cite Europe because of Tesco, I can buy the Australian wine cheaper there, personally we don't buy French Wine!!!

Actually I don't particularly like Wine at all much prefer a cup of tea! However, my husband does like wine but finds the French Wine a bit watery. I have been in a nice wine shop and got some of the recommended wines from there and our friends swear by Corbier sp? but he still prefers Australian, in particular Rosemount and he also likes Hardy's Crest Carbernet. Then again we are not wine buffs and I know some people can be quite offended about there wines. However, one manufacturer of fine Whisky told us it does not matter whether you buy Bells or Isle of Islay its what you actually like that counts.
I like Cite Europe because of Tesco, I can buy the Australian wine cheaper there, personally we don't buy French Wine!!!

I do feel sorry for your husband -- no not being Sarcastic -- just that even though Tesco is cheaper than in the UK you are still being ripped off when it comes to price

It doesn't matter where you buy your Antipodean plonk drive a few miles further and you WILL find the same wine cheaper
Tell me more, the only reason I say I like Tesco is because for me not being a conissour I can buy the brands that I know he likes. I am sure though he will give it a good go and sample plenty of French wine. I have looked for the wines he likes in Mammouth and Carrefour but have never had any joy or its no cheaper. Then again we are talking about the markets in Calais. I am sure if we travel further afield we may be lucky.

We are going to Paizay Le Tort, just up from Cognac and 30 mins from Saint Jean D'Angely so any hints would be gratefully received.
We are going to Paizay Le Tort, just up from Cognac and 30 mins from Saint Jean D'Angely

Right the Supermarche aren't as large there (E L'Clerc and Intermarche you may find an Auchan too)

You can find local wine sat these places very cheaply and other wine is usually more expensive but definitely cheaper than the UK.
What we do is buy single bottles on our first trip taste them then if we like them go back for more
We find that Carrefoure is the most expensive anyway and the closer you are to the docks the more expensive stuff is
You sound like my husband he has in the past soaked the labels off the bottles for me to re purchase if I happen to find one he likes.

Invariably though I can never find the same bottles again if I go back.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/Madcaravanner/my%20stuff/smillie1-1.gif

No not as bad as that
We have found a very nice Brut Cidre at 1€15c that we like though and will get some mor ein May when we go back
kazd wrote:
You sound like my husband he has in the past soaked the labels off the bottles for me to re purchase if I happen to find one he likes.

Invariably though I can never find the same bottles again if I go back.

We use a digital camera to take a picture of the label of wines we enjoy, I then transfer them to a pda which I carry when we shop for wine so we can find the same wine again. If you do not have a pda then just print the pictures in a small size so that you have perhaps 10 on an A4 page,(no need to use photo paper, normal paper will suffice) then you can carry that with you when you shop.

John
I did have a pda, I purchased a Loox something or other when it first came out about 3 years ago but it spent most of the time with the battery flat in my bag so I sold it and bought my lap top. Does not fit in my bag quite so well but much better for using my spreadsheets at my chocolate parties!!

Brut cidre, is that wine or is it cider.
Extra dry Cider in a champagne style bottle 5% vol.

Very thirst quenching straight from the freezer (only half an hour though)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.