Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Turkey is a wonderful and beautiful country . Friendly, scenic and very clean . Probably the complete opposite of what many people who havnt been have in their head .
I'm sure you will be converted if you go . I havnt been to Marmaris . It depends what you are looking for but I would say marmaris is the biggest and liveliest resort in Turkey although it would suit all ages and quieter spots can be found I'm sure . Is that the kind of resort you are after ??? Cant help with the hotel sorry . But I'm sure somebody here can .

lyn
I have to confrim what Lynwestie says - Turkey is beautiful, surprisingly green for such a hot country with wonderful scenery and loads of very nice resorts. It is very clean and the people are very, very friendly.

A lot of people are wary of travelling to Turkey for the first time, maybe people are used to going to Europe and the fact that Turkey is in Asia makes a difference, I don't know, but most people who visit love it so much that they return year after year.

I have only visited Marmaris for a day trip and I personlly didn't like it there as much as other resorts. It is very big, lively and noisy, lots of people do love it there though, it is the most popular resort for Brititsh people. If you want a busy, fun holiday then I'm sure it would suit but if you prefer something a little more laid back maybe there are other options too. If you tell us what you like in a holiday someone will be able to say whether Marmaris is the best resort and if so I'm sure someone will be able to tell you about the hotel too.

Kedi
Kedi

Turkey is in europe and asia, its where the continents meet.

There are much nice resorts in the dalaman area than marmaris.
If it worries you that much, stick to what you know.

Travelling should be a pleasure, not a chore, don't let the fear of the unknown make you miss out.
Can only endorse everything that has been said .Great country ,great people and great holiday destination.
This time next year you will be on here giving advise rather than asking for it .After the first time i went to Turkey ,which is many moons ago now ,i felt as if i had been going there for years ,now i have . Enjoy

Bluepeterno1
when are you planning on going, that depends on how busy marmaris can get, the old town of marmaris near the harbour is nice, its the main street of bars, shops, restaurants in the height of season thats too much for me, but i prefer marmaris out of season. but if you go out of the school hols it wont be so busy, icmeler is about 4 miles away and thats quieter and nice, maybe have a look there too. might be best for you to have a read up on resorts as what suits 1 person doesnt suit another. things you need to consider is do you want a nice sandy beach, nice views, plenty of shops, bars etc, the more information you provide the more advise you will get , good luck
can't think of a username wrote:
Turkey is in europe and asia, its where the continents meet

Yes, but all the hoilday resorts on the coast are in Asia, the only part in is Europe is above Istanbul
The only thing I can say is that I wish we'd discovered Turkey a lot sooner. Like many others, I'd never really considered Turkey (I don't really know why not!) but we visited Icmeler a few years back and now we're total Turkey converts!
As others have said, it's a beautiful country - I was really surprised at how lush and green everything was Some of the scenery takes your breath away. I think I'd been expecting it to be a lot drier and dusty. The people though are what really makes Turkey special - they are so friendly and welcoming and their hospitality is second to none.
Marmaris though wasn't for us - far too busy and touristy. Others, however, rave about it. It's all about what YOU want from a holiday, and doing a bit of research beforehand to find out which resort might suit you best. Don't let your reservations put you off visiting Turkey - I'm sure you'd love it too.
very true words go and enjoy the culture people and friendship :tup
Good choice - you will find your money will go further Turkey is still outside the euro zone and the £ has not been affected by the devaluation to any great extent.
Second positive - HOT HOT weather be sure to take loads of sun lotion with you as they do tend to be expensive in the resorts.
Third positive - Friendly and helpful locals you WILL make friends
Fourth positive - Beautiful scenery and landscapes absolutely stunning
Fifth positive - Delicious food - turkish food has to be one of the bests complimented by the availability in many resorts of cuisine from every part of the world you will not go hungry
Sixth positive - I could go on for ever........................but enough said you will enjoy it and return for many years to come
Go on give it a go, you will love it, millions of us can't be wrong can we, try one of the smaller resorts
if your concerned, do let us all know if you go and love/ hate it :sun2
thanks for all your replies,last 2 weeks in june is when we are thinking of going..
:tup
Six years ago I was like you - had never even considered Turkey for a holiday and when I imagined what it would be like, didn't fancy it all. Then my daughter said she was all "Spained out" and would like to try somewhere different and had found a cheapie holiday in Turkey. I decided that I would give it a try - wow, I'm glad I did. We loved our holiday so much that we came home and immediately booked again at the same place the next year. When I landed at Bodrum airport the next year I felt that I had gone home!! Since then we have never gone anywhere else for a holiday and love the place so much that we have now bought a house out there and visit five or six times a year (it would be more often and for longer each time if work didn't keep getting in the way).

Admittedly that was Gumbet and not Marmaris and when I tried Marmaris one year, I didn't like it as much. But for all the Gumbet, Bitez, Side, Kemer, Fethiye lovers you will find, you will find just as many Marmaris lovers.

Go with an open mind and I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time. Enjoy the people, the great food, the fantastic scenery, etc, etc, etc - you'll have a whale of a time.
Friends of ours stayed at Cetia Hotel and had a really good time, this was their first trip to Turkey too.

You aare close to Icmeler so can pop there for a change, plenty of boat trips and other excursions, so no time to get bored,

I think you will have a great time. Since we discovered Turkey we have never gone anywhere else,
Cettia is a good choice.Its in a nice area in Armutalan,there are some nice bars and restaurants around it.No 3 dolmus will take you to the centre,if walking to the seafront and long beach where the nightlife starts,will take you about 15 minutes.You wont be disappointed if you go here,we stay close to the Cettia,and also go into Icmeler for the day,or evening.I think you will be surprised how nice it is.Beautiful scenery,and lovely people.I wouldnt want to go anywhere else in Europe again,Ive booked 2 holidays for this year,to Marmaris and Icmeler. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.