General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Personally, the jump seat in the flight deck or better still the left seat when in light aircraft!

I prefer a window seat, ideally just in front or behind the wing so I can see what's going on and it's the best place to get window shots (photos) while having the most interesting parts of the aircraft (flight surfaces engine) in view.

Darren
being quite tall i need to get seats where i can stretch my legs, and on ryanair i try (and usually succeeed) in getting seats 1A,1C or 1D.
failing that i will try for one of the overwing seats.
i like an aisle seat, and absolutely hate getting stuck in a middle seat.
On our last few flights we have been lucky enough to have been allocated emergency exit seats, due to a family member working at check-in and arranging it for us before we arrive at the airport ;)

Failing this, I try to get an aisle seat as I'm quite claustrophobic on a plane and like to know that I can get up and walk about without bothering anybody. I usually head for the area of the plane around the wings but on our long haul flight back from Dom Rep last summer we found ourselves in the very back row. This wasn't as bad as I thought, as we had lots of peace and quiet apart from when the stewards were preparing the food etc.
A window seat away from the wing as I love to look out and opposite side to the sun, i always have this worked out if traveling Easyjet and you grab your own seat
Just wondering if anyone has checked in as early as they can and got seats together without pre-booking? I have always prebooked before but as there is just me and hubby (no kids for a change) this year we aren't going to bother and just sit where ever they put us, Thanks all , happy hols..xx
giugi,

Yes, but some airlines now pre-assign seating before the flight checks in so it can't be done anymore. For example Thomson Airways.

Darren
Hi guigi,

I have never pre booked seats and have always sat with OH on outbound flight. Inbound we have sometimes been sat together or sometimes just opposite each other in aisle seats.

For just the 2 of us on short haul I won't waste the money pre booking!!!
If we get the chance I like to sit right at the front, that way we don't have to drag the children all the way along the plane and back and we can get off first! I wouldn't bother pre-booking seats though as I'm not that bothred where we sit and we normally get to board first as we have young children.
some airlines now pre-assign seating before the flight checks in so it can't be done anymore. For example Thomson Airways

A good point Darren

Our flight to/from Tunisia a few weeks ago was with Thomson Airways and a lot of people ended up separated from their friends, families and partners on both legs of the trip, I commented at the time that I had never seen so many people complaining about being seperated.
we dont bother pre booking seats but as we check in early we have nearly always ended up sat together...
we dont bother pre booking seats but as we check in early we have nearly always ended up sat together...

Those days are starting to go, Mrs Kiltie and I were number 1&2 to check-in at Glasgow and we were still seperated :que
I'm glad I don't use the charters often - they don't serve the destinations I prefer to holiday in, so I don't get all this hassle with seats and turning up early. I just ring up, airline ask for required seats as per the seatmap provided on the airlines website and I usually get them, no extra charge.
thanks all for your replies....I will just sit where put, I'm not one to keep getting up, just hope I don't sit with someone who does! lol. I think they have enough money off people without charging extra, I think I might try and ask to sit by the pilot!! happy jolly hols...xx
On short haul I don't bother pre booking seats, but I do when I go longhaul. Last week I booked our seats to Mexico. We are flying premium and wanted one of the 'two seats'. I was very surprised when the staff told me there were only 3 sets of 'two seats' left (we don't fly until September). In fact now I have booked our seats there is only one set left.! Wouldn't like to spend 11 hours in a plane being split up from my hubby. Well worth the £24 to me!
So do airlines ( Thomson especially) make a point of pre assigning your seats before check in so you all get kept together if your travelling with young children / infants .
TUCKER,

You'll find more information about how seating is allocated on the Thomson Airways topic, but they use a computer model to assign seating the day before the flight based on a number of factors in order to seat people the best they can and minimise anyone being split up. Because of the nature of aircraft seating, it's inevitable some will be, but the system minimises it. Those that have pre-booked seating together are allocated seating together on the model to guarantee they are together. In effect, they are given a higher priorty when seating is allocated. Some airlines still allocate seating on a first come, first served basis at check-in, for example Monarch.

Darren
Tucker

I never prebook seats with my kids as they are already pre-allocated to you. I found this out when asking to prebook a couple of yrs back. Thomson actually told me they have no option but to pre-allocate as the kids use different masks to adults (must be smaller) and these are only in certain places on the plane. So you'll be grand but still double check.

Jen
I dont care where I sit so long as I can have an aisle seat :tup
I don't mind too much - have premium seats this holiday so good leg room anyway
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.