Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Hi Paulpud we did Bangkok- Koh Samui in 2006. I would personally recommend doing Bangkok at the beginning rather than the end of the holiday. It is such a busy, manic city it makes you appreciate the tranquility of the beach even more when you get there.
We only stayed 1 night and managed to do most of the things we wanted to and I wouldnt have wanted to stay any longer. However it really depends on how much you want to see and what pace you go at. We were flat out for a day and a half but we then had 12 days of chilling out to look forward to. :sun2
have to say the opposite :D Bangkok jetlagged can be a bit of an ordeal, to someone who has not been there before. I do think that the majority who aren't mad keen on Bangkok would have felt differently if they had not been jetlagged.
I would recommend 3 clear days in Bangkok. ( I have spent 7 days at one go without getting bored :) )It also makes the return journey a bit easier as you will have done one leg of it already. I usually find that my flights out of Bangkok are really late on eg close to midnight so you can have a clear day in Bangkok and then vacate your room and have dinner before heading off to the airport. I also feel that if you do the beach part last, if you are like me, you begin to do the countdown to going home. When you are in Bangkok you have other things to think about and enjoy.
I have to agree with Fiona and do beach first, Bangkok last.
When we did Bangkok first - I have to say we were too tired to enjoy it properly. Luckily we had booked Bangkok at the end of our beach resort as well.
When we go on holiday to asia we usually aim to arrive in the afternoon/evening.
By going straight to the beach you can relax and get over the journey. We also find that we need the first couple of days to unwind as we both have busy jobs.
If there are any delays on your flight from the beach resort to Bangkok, you do not have to worry about connecting flights if you spend time in the city before catching the flight home. :)
Thanks for the advice.

I think that's pretty much made up my mind to do Bangkok at the end. I think after spending 10 or 11 days on the beach I'll be suitably chilled and a little more familiar with Thailand before tackling the city. As has been mentioned, being in Bangkok ready for the flight home means I don't have to worry about any hiccups there either.

So now it's the itiniery and time to go. I've been considering Maenam beach in Koh Samui, and would welcome opinions on that, but also I can't make my mind up on when to go. We can go 2nd week March or 2nd week May. I've checked out the weather on Wunderground but there doesn't seem much difference. I know accomodation can be a little cheaper in May but, again, there doesn't seem too much difference at most places so that alone wouldn't really influence my decision.
Maenam would be fine- and its not too far from Chaweng if you want a busier nightlife.
Not sure which month would be better for sure but think it would be March.
We also put Bangkok at the end for two or three nights...its a great city to visit,a bit of a culture shock you need a few days to appreciate it.

Another beach you could look at on Samui is Cheong Mon, which is quieter,a nicer beach than Maenam, but only a short ride to the life of Chaweng. If you go in March you could also consider the Andaman coast of Thailand...the likes of Phuket, Krabi, Khao Lak.

There's some superb flight offers using Singapore Airlines out to Thailand and the Far East at the moment.
Thanks again for all the help

I've just booked flights with Singapore. I missed out on the sale flights, but they were still offering the best price I could get for March at 472.00 and they do look a decent airline.

Just internal flights, resort and hotels now :)
Thai Airways now also have a couple of flights per day from BKK to Samui. Prices same as Bangkok Airways but some people will be able to use Airmiles for these flights I'm sure.
thanks for that- been a while since I've been to KS. :tup
We did Bangkok last..and we still found it a nightmare. On the other hand, I loved the quieter part of Phuket in kata Noi and also Ao Nang on the mainland.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.