Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
If I were going in January I think I would opt for Krabi or Phuket, but make sure you also spend a couple of days in Bangkok :) Try pricing it both DIY and package. The flight prices are a bit frightening just now so a package might come out best.
we are considering thailand for our january holiday - can anyone please advise package holiday companies for this time of year or are we better organising ourselves? weather? best resort to go to? looking for a chilled out holiday for 2 adults (30's/40) loved candolim in goa but just cant be bothered with the visa situation!

Check out flights with Eva Air, they are doing London - Bangkok direct for around £550 just now. I'd definitly have at least 2 or 3 nights in Bangkok. If your looking for chilled out, you could try Koh Lanta.
There's a lot specials right on now with airlines. What I would recommend is doing some research on where and for how long you would like to go (with recommendations of course!) price it up yourself, and then take it to a couple of companies, who will probably offer the same thing cheaper (unless you pick a really random hotel).
Very new to the Thailand forum and would like some advice on which companiies do Package hols to Phuket. Also are April 2010 hols on sale on line yet please?
Hi Shiley h,

There are many operators offering packages and most also offer "tailored" packages - which is a good place to start. Strangely enough you can easily get to Phuket via either Bangkok or Singapore.

First bit of advice - take about 3 days in whichever city you choose as a gateway to Phuket - they are both great.

Not sure how far we can go in naming operators (I'm sure Fiona will slap my wrists if I get it wrong) but as well as DIY we have had good service for Thailand (not package to Phuket) from:

Premier Travel andTrailfinders

I understand that Virgin, Hayes and Jarvis, Kuoni and Tradewinds amongst many others also do packages.

Whilst we have not used them for a couple of years, we always thought Premier Travel were excellent and Trailfinders are great for their advice, flexibility on air fares and all aspects of the booking.

If you are a seasoned visitor to Goa, you may be interested to note that Monarch Holidays (Distant Dreams which used to be Cosmos) now offer packages to Phuket (fortunately using BA, EVA or Etihad for flights not Monarch!).

Good luck and enjoy your planning!

Peter
no problem in naming operators Pete
we travelled to Thailand with Dreamticket in October, flew with Eva and stayed at Cape Panwa. We were looking for something quiet and cape panwa was perfect for us. Not too happy with the flight home though - 8 hours between meals on the plane, no snacks, no trolly dollies.

But all in all a great time - hoping to go back, although dreamticket are using jet airline this year and we don't fancy a stop over in Mumbai.
Tropical Collections, ie Global Holidays are pricing 3nts BK + 10nts at your chosen resort for around £900.
Flights, transfers and B/B
Thai Airways - Heathrow - BK + transfer flight to your resort.
Can do it a bit cheaper flying with Etihad, but that means on/off at Abu Dhabi.
Shirley - April 2010 will be bookable from about June this year.

Have a look and see when Easter is next year, and avoid it if you can.

I like EVA a lot - I had no problem with food as they kept coming around with Pot Noodles (!) between meals, and I kept nipping into the galley for sandwiches and wine which they were happy with!

You can also use Malaysian Airlines for a single change to Phuket, and Cathay via Hong Kong, so KL, Singapore & Bangkok & Hong Kong are all good stopovers possibilities.

Between those airlines you'll get a good deal. I'd say choose your hotel and then your Tour Operator, and then work on price for there. If you're not sure what companies feature the hotel you like, then google the hotels name, and on the right hand side (the paid advertising) you'll get a good indication. These Tour Op's should have the best deal.

i.e. if you Google 'Cape Panwa' you get Key2, Bestat, Thomson, Destinology, Travelmood, Hayes and Jarvis etc, all good UK Tour Op's.
I always stay in Pattaya but spend a week or so in Phuket and go on my own steam to save a bit of cash but its more expensive there every time I go, much more than Pattaya.
I bought a used book (used fiction novel by Stephen Leather) here in Pattaya at the guesthouse I am staying (120baht)and went to trade it in Phuket and was only offered 20baht trade in and another book by the same author in a worse condition was 220baht.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.