Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Have a look here:- http://www.germany-tourism.de/e/dest_cities_duesseldorf_e.html

I was looking at going for the Christmas Markets and from my research, the City looks like a great place to visit. Stunning architecture, great shopping, loads of bars/cafes (they call the Old Town the 'longest bar in Europe'!

HTH :D
Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it and will start doing some research once I've got over the shock of being back at work again :(
For shopping Dusseldorf is OK, but I prefer Koln. If the weather is nice a boat trip between the two cities is really nice.

The Altstadt in Dusseldorf is well worth a visit for all your drinking and eating requirements :wink:

Local and longer distance train services are excellent. No need for a car.
We've been to Cologne a couple of times now and have loved all of it that we have seen. A boat ride is nice. The Cathedral is excellent! Shopping is great.... Chocolate Museum is well worth a visit. The little bars are lovely and if you are lucky enough as we were to sit in the square and sample the many different wines from the vineyards in and around Koln. We started off with the cheapest and then ended up paying £12 a bottle by the end... 3 sheets to the wind! Very funny hic! :lol:

Loads of brilliant restaurants and if you are into Salsa there are loads of bars that provide that too down by the river. Very interesting city - you will have a great time!
Thanks for the info. I've just come back here now that I'm starting to get some proper plans together.

I was surprised to see that both Donkey shirt and Sue are recommending the boat trip from Dusseldorf to Cologne because I was thinking about doing that, but other people have told me that the area between the two cities is very industrialised and I'd be better off getting a train and spending the extra few hours in Cologne. Not sure what to do now :?

Also, I've seen a brief mention about an "aqua zoo" in Nordpark. Has anyone been there? I love the big walk-through aquariums where you have sharks and stingrays swimming all around you - is there one of those there?
Guten Tag!

We just went from the quay in Cologne and went up the river for about 1.5 hours boat trip. You can buy a meal and drinks on the boat. Didnt go as far as Dusseldorf. It is a bit industrialised, big factories and smoky chimneys. We got back from Recklinghausen last night and flew from Dusseldorf-Weeze with Ryannair from Stansted. Very easy journey, but that is industrialised with lots of canals too. I think the prettiest places are further south. Try Kochem - lovely little old fashioned village by the river. Lovely cafes and wine bars, quaint shops. All very typical German, Pied Piper stuff! Castle on the hill with birds of prey displays. Also, there is a chair lift (I didnt try that, my husband did) that takes you to the top of a mountain with fantastic views. The train service is very good and within an hour or so you can be in the mountains.

Back to Cologne... you can hire bikes which is a simple way of touring the city... great fun!

All in all Cologne is a great place to visit. Have a great time

Chuus
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.