Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Dusseldorf
11 Posts
Hi Sliema2,

I haven't visited Dusseldorf myself, but can tell you that it is in the Ruhr valley in the heart of industrial Germany.

That said, there is no reason why you shouldn't have a great time there, as it's a fully-fledged city with lots to see and good restaurants and watering holes.

Try this site http://www.duesseldorf.de and click on the English flag. It should give you the information you need about the city, and from the menu on the left hand side of the page, you can get information about the airport and its links with the city. If you are flying with Ryanair, do check that their destination 'Dusseldorf' actually means the city's airport and not somewhere in the sticks (like Frankfurt Hahn!) Ryanair's website also has info on their destinations so have a look there too.

Shops will be closed on Good Friday, but bars and restaurants should be open.

Have a great time - and do let us know how you got on!
Bonjour Alsacienne, many thanks for your post, the web link is just what I was looking for, we are flying with BA so hopefully it will be straight in to the main airport, the good news that you said is that the bars etc will be open, we went to Dublin last easter which is a city we love, but it was dry on good friday with not a lot to do, so didn't want to go down that road again, we are only going to Dusseldorf for 2 nights, and I am sure that it will be ok and very different for that short a break, if anyone else would like to supply any info then we would be equally gratefull.

Thanks again
Sliema2
Hi,

I am living there.
It is not in the Ruhr valley but in the Rhine valley, and worth to visit.
There is a train form the Airport in the city of Düsseldorf . The BA goes stright to the Duesseldorf International Airport , only Ryanair is landing far away from Duesseldorf .
15 minutes , costs 2 Euros
You can take a 24 hour ticket and use all lokal trains , busses and Metros for only 7 Euros. Look at http://www.vrr.de for details

The city of Duesseldorf is always alive with many bars and restaurants
Visit Uerige http://www.uerige.de/en/index.html with its famour dark beer, called "Alt"

It could be worth to spend one day in Cologne , visit the famous cathedral http://www.koeln.de/en/
Sorry Molineros! You were right and I was wrong about the river running through the valley!

I would strongly advise visiting Cologne cathedral (next to the train station), drink a glass of two of Kölsch (local beer in 0.2l glasses), eat sausages and pork knuckles with mustard, and visit the chocolate museum!

Have a great time!
Many thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to contribute to this thread, we really appreciate all of your help and advice so far, but if anyone has any more info then that will be most appreciated also.

Best wishes to you all
Sliema2
I'm being tempted by 5 nights in Dusseldorf, from 27th December - 1st January, & was wondering if anyone could help with information.

I've been to Cologne a few times, so have no concerns about the region (or beer! :D ), but at this time of year do the majority of the bars, restaurants, shops still open?

Also, if anyone can recommend hotels/ areas to stay, much appreciated.
Bars, shops, all open at that time of year. As well as the crimbo markets :wink:

What price range are you looking at for hotels?
I've been checking out a few hotels, & the Alt Hotel ssems like it would suit me.

"A cheap basic hotel in the centre of the action" according to one review.

I'm not one for lavish hotels on a city break, because I'm never in the place. Bed, bog & shower & I'll stay anywhere!
Then the Altstadt is perfect, say hello to Mo in the Tir na nog, and the lovely barmaids in Fatty's.

Loved living there :lol:
Spent the 5 nights in Dusseldorf, & had a great time. The hotel was excellently located (next door to Fattys :wink: ), bars,restaurants, shops, all easily within walking distance. Also Cologne is less than an hour away on the train, which was an ideal day trip.

Only negatives were, a couple of days were majorly cold, particularly beside the Rhein, & on NYE to compliment the organised fireworks, the Germans think it's a great idea to let off their own. Hundreds of them! & not just a few bangers & crackers, I'm talking about holding rockets in the air at arms length! :shock:

All in all a good trip though, would like to return in summer.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.