America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi Dan & Alex :wave:

For Heathrow info you may get a better response HERE.

Pippy :)
Thanks Pippy we will post on that thread :-o
Sizes are different in the US for ladies clothes. A UK size 12 would be about a US 8-10, but best to try things on or take a tape measure with you as I have taken the same size over there as I take here, it just depends on the make.

Yes a minimum of 15% tip is expected for all service industries, eg in restaurants, taxis drivers, etc. In Vegas we tip $1 per drink and $2-3 for 2 bags.

luci :wave
Hi Dan & Alex,

It's best to try on to be honest as I found it all I found it depended on what item of clothing I was buying. I'm a size depending on where I shop 8/10 in the UK and I ended up buying a size 2 cargo pant, size 4 skirt and size 6 strapless dress - all in the same shop!

I've done the online check-in with Continental to Newark - we just checked in the day before and gave our printed boarding passes to a rep at the airport, she then directed us to a desk to drop off our luggage and that was it. Coming back from Newark they had self serve check in where you even printed your own hold baggage labels!
when my Mum and brother went a week ago, they were on the T. Mobile mast in NYC. They used to txt etc, but not sure yet how much it cost.
Thanks everyone!

I'm planning on spending a far amount, some new jeans, shoes, bag and can't wait to get to the Clinique counter either (I have a shopping list from my mum too)! I suppose it's probably best if i just try on lots of different sizes when I get there, I never seem to be the same in all shops back in the UK.
Less than a week to go and we can't wait!

Thanks again for all your help
Alex
x
Quick thought,
Remember customs, legally, you are only allowed to bring so much back before having to pay import tax.
I think it's either $135 or £135 worth, but don't quote me on that, still enjoy NYC, you'll have a ball
You are allowed to take back £145 of goods duty free per person, including children.

luci :wave
Remember to go to the gift wrapping department in Macy's and ask for a 11% discount card.
You are allowed to take back £145 of goods duty free per person, including children.

Blimey how much are children then? :rofl
Ooh, thanks Lesley I forgot to tell Alex about that. You can't discounts on certain things though, such as cosmetics.
I don't think my mum would be too pleased if i brought back a child!!!!
Thanks for letting me know about the customs thing, are they quite strict? (I'm worried now)
11% at Macy's sounds like heaven, Dan kept that one quiet!!

Thanks all, 4 days to go and I cannot wait!!!

Alex
Hi Alex,
Upon return, we just went through the usual channel and we were never asked at customs about anything we'd bought back.
We bought quite a few clothes the total value of which took us over the limit, however we had worn most of them and so had cut out the labels anyway and thrown away the receipts. I had a pair of Jimmy Choo's in their box (with the receipt in) that I bought in my case, I did wear them in NYC but wanted to keep the box. I had my Tiffany jewelry in my handbag.
Hope that helps!
I used my mobile over there in Dec with no problems and excellent call quality. I am on O2. You need a quad band phone however. Also, calls are not cheap, worked out nearly £1 a minute so use it sparingly. I used it mainly for texts.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.