America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi La (sounds like I'm singing! :lol: )

Don't forget to check the hotel reviews and if you'd like any hotels added just post here and let me know :wink:

Pippy :D
yup, companies like Expedia have sales in January

You do want to be in Manhattan really because you can walk everywhere easily. You could save money by staying somewhere like New Jersey but I wouldn't advise it personally.
Try these sites -

http://www.airline-network.co.uk
http://www.lodging.com
http://www.hoteldiscount.com

Cheers

TC
I think you will have difficulty finding anywhere for £50 maybe £60 if you don't mind a shared bathroom, try Hotel 17 or Hotel 30. I am travelling solo to NY also in March and had difficulty finding anywhere at a reasonable price for what I wanted. I am paying $200 per night for a studio at the Radio City Apartments in the Times Square a short time ago this worked out at approx £100 per night but with the pound losing it's value somewhat at the moment it may cost me a bit more.
Have you tried Trip Advisor, they have a great NY forum with lots of tips about the city plus Hotel Reviews. http://www.tripadvisor.com
You could stay outside Manhattan but would have to make sure that the hotel was next to a subway station as taking a taxi to hotel would use up any savings made by staying out of the city, and it wouldn't be so easy if you wanted to return to your hotel during the day to drop of purchases or have a rest before hitting the streets again. As the previous poster said one of the good things about staying in Manhattan is the fact that you can walk everywhere.
I can't help you with Airline prices as I will be flying from Germany but the sales on tickets will be initiated by the Airlines with Expedia passing these reductions on.
You need to stay in Manhattan, especially if going on your own. As Judith says any money you'd save by staying out of the city will be eaten up in travel costs. Manhattan IS New York - it's very easy to walk about there to see the main sights, plus the shopping is good.

I would suggest that you look at a map, decide what you want to visit and then you can make a decision as to the area in which you stay. The places around Times Sq/Rockerfeller Centre, are very busy but it's a great location for a first stay (we stayed in RCA).

If you have a limited budget, then make Trip Advisor your first port of call (INVALID URL as you can search for accommodations to match your budget and read the reviews. Unless you are comfortable sharing a bathroom, I'd suggest (if possible) that you up your budget if you can as I doubt you'll get something en suite for £50. You could try a B&B (again look on TA) but again, they aren't as cheap as here in the UK. If you use the NYC forum on TA locals could tell you specific 'budget' areas that would be safe on your own.

As for airline sales, we flew direct to Newark from Manchester and I bought our tickets in January for a May departure. Try registering with airline network for specific routes (see the link TC gave you) as you can get flights from £290 a couple of months in advance. Often though they are only specific dates but that's great if you can be flexible.
thank you for all your replys.
I was a bit uncertain, when I decided I wanted to go I couldnt work out if long island queens and brooklyn were all just different parts of new york, pease excuse my ignorance :oops:
I do agree manhatten does appear to be the most sensible option especially if I go alone.
I have registered with expedia but will now register with airline network.
I was thinking of posibly spending st patricks day out there as I understand there is a big parade.
If my husband goes I was looking at quality inn, long island city, its right near a subway and has good reviews, would it take ages to get into manhatten from there? I am not fussed about shopping main point is to sightsee and take photographs.
Is this a dangerous area for a couple?
I do look on trip advisor but sometimes feel they are a bit short or dismissive when people ask questions, suggesting they google it, I have always had great advice and help on here.

many thanks
hugs la
I can't help with travel times out to Long Island city but speaking from personal experience (our first visit was this past May, mainly for sightseeing) to be perfectly honest you're out all day and the last thing I'd want is to have to travel outside of Manhattan to a hotel. Also, I'm not sure what kind of places there'd be to eat near your hotel and if you're going back into Manhattan to eat on an evening, it could work out expensive (and I know you were looking to save on costs).

Regarding safety, I'm not sure about what's classed as Long Island City but I always thought Long Island was meant to be 'posh'. You might find this site useful - http://www.longisland.com

Do you know that St Pat's day in NYC is a big event? Hotels are traditionally very busy and if you really want to stay then you need to get your skates on and get something booked. I've seen lots of people on TA struggle to find something at a reasonable price at that time of year.

Incidentally, I understand what you meant about TA; there is a huge search facility on there and lots of repetitive threads that I think the locals sometimes get sick of answering the same questions so they just like folks to do a little bit of research before asking what they'd perhaps consider a 'stupid' question. That said there is a lot of info on there, even just reading threads can help; it certainly found me our hotel, and there are some who are really helpful.

Anyway, hope that's of use - anything else, just shout.
oh and I'd recommend that you look on Amazon under New York maps - they have this fab pop up map. It only costs around £3 and it has all the subway routes and all the districts (incl main sights) and it fits into your pocket. We found it invaluable.
thank you so much for all your replys.
I have read everything i can on new york and that includes pages of stuff from TA including their faq's and have picked up lots of information there.
I am going to get the pop up map and think I will book my hotel from airline network so many thanks for the info. had been thinking of the quality inn thats in long island city, it has great reviews but there is not much near it. Another possibility is the pan american in queens, more good reviews and affordable. It looks like I have convinced my husband to go :kiss he has got caught up in my excitement :lol:
now I just need to sort which tours to do, have saved about a million on my favourites and cant remember which is which!
many thanks and a happy new year to you all.

hugs la
Hi La - have you booked your flight yet?
No OAP have not booked flights yet, am waiting till the january sales. also waiting for husbands rota for his time off this year. will give all the details when i do as am so excited.

hugs la
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.