America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi there, if you go into the city break forum you'll find my trip report on the New York thread so that'll give you ideas as to what you can fit in. Went went Thurs am to Tues night (our return flight was 10pm so we gained a whole extra day :D )
I'd saved £1000 for our 5 night stay and that covered everything from clothes shopping (excluding Jimmy Choos and Tiffany) to food and we did bring some back.
We went in May but I do know its very cold in January. You will need to wrap up warm.
You'll find PD's trip report HERE.

While you're waiting for further replies do use the search function at the top of the page, you'll find a huge amount of NY info :wink:

Pippy :D
Im going for 3 nights next month, which I think is enough to do the big attractions but perhaps not get to the nitty gritty of NTC itself.

Im taking £1000 - im not really into the shopping.
New York in January- the weather is much the same as in the UK. Very cold.
Thanks for all the replies so far. Think i'm looking at taking at least £1k. Better to have too much than too little...:)

Decided to book the flight and hotel seperate, as it's working out cheaper. After looking at several different places (namely Radio City Apartments and the Sofitel New York), almost settled on the Casablanca. Outstanding reviews, and quite competitively priced. Looks fantastic.
Thats the key - take as much as you can afford, then if you do see that luxury purchase you can get it.

Also allows you to not scrimp on trips/ visits to all the top attractions.

Hve a great time. I loved NYC, never managed to write my trip report on here, but had an amzaing time.
hi notlongtogo :lol: , if you shop at macy's don't forget to get your 11% visitors discount! think you get it from customer services but ask when you get in there...happy shopping :wave ps we went in feb 06 and 2 foot of snow fell just before we got there and it was great but absolutely freezing especially on top of the open top bus's!!
Two more question's i've thought of -

This probably sounds like a really, really, really stupid question - but does New York have any restriction on shop opening hours on a Sunday?

That question came about because of my next question...

We can either arrive at New York on Friday lunch time or Sunday lunch time, meaning we have the rest of that day. Will it make any difference which day I choose?

Sorry if they are two stupid questions :oops:
No, no restrictions. It is the city that never sleeps after all!
Sorry to be the party pooper but aren't you are restricted to what you can bring back into the UK from the USA.

200 cigarettes; or 100 cigarillos; or 50 cigars; or 250g of tobacco
60cc of perfume
2 litres of still table wine
250cc of eau de toilette
1 litre of spirits or strong liqueurs over 22 per cent volume; or 2 litres of fortified wine*, sparkling wine or other liqueurs *such as port or sherry and
£145 worth of all other goods including gifts and souvenirs.

I guess Customs have a great time checking Christmas time flights coming from NY.

Do they fine you or confiscate the goods? :cry:
Spiner - the trick is to take off the labels from your clothes and throw away your receipts once you've made sure you're keeping them. That way they can't prove you've only just bought them.
Infact we deliberately didn't take many clothes and had worn most of the ones we bought.
Same applies to skincare stuff, throw all your packaging away and pack in your toiletry bag.
With regards to my expensive shoes, I kept the receipt and packed them in the box in my case without any problem.
We didn't bother with any duty free stuff.
Whilst puddleduck2 is almost correct, you should keep a few receipts and a few items with tags on, customs are not stupid, if you are stopped on your return and have NOTHING with tags / receipts this will raise suspicion :wink:

HTH

Driver02
ustoms are not stupid, if you are stopped on your return and have NOTHING with tags / receipts this will raise suspicion

Do you think so Driver? It might be hard to imagine but not everyone goes to NYC for the shopping (our friends don't, for instance) so how would customs know?
Puddle

Yes I do.

I work for a major Americian Company, I visit the States on a regular basis, including NYC on business, and I'm speaking from my personal experience.

You have given specific advice to the FM regarding shopping tips, albeit somewhat dishonest, that's your choice.

This forum is for expressing our opinions & experiences, that's what I've done, the FM is under no obligation to take my or anyone else's advice.

Driver02
Hi Driver, I didn't mean to offend you, I was asking you a genuine question.
We've only been to NYC once and when asked we just said we were there on holiday (which we were) so I was curious as to how customs would know if it was a shopping or another trip?
I saw the label removing tip widely given both on here and on Trip Advisor before we went and yes, it is dishonest but only if you cut them out of stuff you haven't worn :) I kept my receipts and for my Jimmy Choos and Tiffany jewelry and no-one asked to see them.
Sorry if you thought I was having a dig. I wasn't.
Cheers.
Hi Puddle

No problem, I misunderstood your post, which I'm sorry for :wink: :wink:
Hi notlongtogo
I am in new york in jan from 12th to 19th, i also went jan06 and the weather was very warm in fact i think
they said it was the warmist jan for 70 years.
But i will be packing cold weather clothes cos i cant see me walking around time square
in jeans and a t-shirt again.
If it is cold in new york its very cold with an icey wind (as i found out in easter this year),
Try and make the most of your time there and look on the net for places you want to go to.

This will be my forth trip to nyc and i still have places to see and things to do!!.

Have fun in nyc if you see a man in jeans and a t-shirt in time square it may be me lol. :D :D :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.