Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
Hi, I am in the same boat (pardon the pun!), well not exactly. We are going on our first cruise in September and I use a wheelchair. Of course this is my favourite website but I`m sure they wouldn`t mind me pointing you in the direction of http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk they are a dedicated cruise website with a very active forum. If you look on their Disabled Cruise Forum you will find lots of information about getting around ports with a wheelchair. have a great time. I would love to hear how you get on when you come back. :)
ramsey i run a mobility company in roquetas de mar and have recently came back from a cruise round the med with thompsons,most taxis waiting at the port and buses take wheelchairs as my mother is in need of one we had to be sure it was ok and we had no problem at all.just a word of warning elec/scooters are not allowed on ship
hope this is usefull
Keith. I have been on 5 cruises, the last one a week ago and have taken a small mobility scooter on 4 of them without a problem although I have never cruised with Thompsons. But on a couple of the cruises I have spoken to people who have been told they were not allowed scooters which made their holiday much more difficult yet I did take mine. Go figure as they say.
Hi I am disabled in a wheelchair and have done lots of cruises.
At each port cruise lines have coaches to take everyone to the towns. Sometimes there are free (P&O) and sometimes you pay and small amount ($5) If a disabled person in the wheelchair cannot climb the bus steps and there is no lift to get the chair on the bus if you ask the cruise lines, better to ask before you go, about this problem a GOOD cruise line will pay for you to get a taxi to the town. you keep the receipt. And give them in and they will just charge you the same as everybody else.
But you must ask and get it in writing if you can ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.