Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Hi lphilli,

first time in Thailand...lucky you. The Sytrain is not the most convenient way to get to the Grand Palace. One way would be to get Suhkumvit line from Nana to Siam interchange with Silom line and get train to Saphan Taksin which links to the River boat sevice. Catch river boat to Tha Chang boat station and then its just a short walk to Grand Palace. Make sure you take no notice of Thais telling you the palace is closed as it won't be.

Some useful info Here on getting around and about.
thankyou so much for your quick response !
Anyone with any other tips for a first timer in bangkok/phuket would be appreciated ! I am 20 and its my first international holiday travelling without my family!
Sunbears directions are of course spot on - and don't worry, skytrain is actually fairly straightforward to navigate. Have a look at our "must dos" sticky at the top of the page as well.
When visiting the Grand Palace it is very hot and, being enclosed, can be draining. Take plenty of water, a sunhat or even a brolly is a must- honestly. Wear sandals with backs that are easy to take on and off, have shoulders covered. The Grand Palace is pretty spectacular :D How long are you in Bangkok for?
I am only in bangkok for 4 nights and 3 full days !
Ive found the 'must do s' sticky really useful!
My plan is to go to the grand palace, see thai boxing, do a trip to the floating markets, chatachauk markets and patpong night district ( just to have look ! :lol: )
I dont think that is too much to fit in the time I have in Bangkok!
On the way to the Grand Palace( by river) you could stop off at Wat Arun. Its worth the visit- so is Wat Pho to see the reclining Buddha. Have a wee look at my report here- Bangkok is the third stop so just skip to the end! :D
i havent had a chance to look at a detailed map yet, but are wat arun, the reclining budha and the grand palace all relatively within the same area ?

Also thankyou for advising that I read your trip report ! Was so useful and very well written ! I couldnt help laughing at the idea of walking through the streets of bangkok dodging water and flour ! You poor thing !! Must have been funny though !

What month were you in Bangkok, your report indicated that you were sweaty after a five minute walk!!
it was funny but I did feel sorry for the folks who turned up for their flight home covered in flour and water- they had been caught on their way out to the taxi!
We were there in April but have also been in July and August. It is always hot :lol: Be prepared for some rain but usuually it does not last long and then clears quickly.
This was outside Chatachuk market. Two hours before there was blue sky sun, one hour later the floods had all but dried up- unbelievable I know. That was the most extreme rain we have had. If you take a brolly it doubles up as protection from the rain and the sun and heat :D Have a look at the rest of the photos from the album as you will find them interesting.
Using the river taxis, you hop off one stop for Wat Arun, get back on and get off for the Grand Palace. Wat Pho is nearby but can't give precise directions as when we went there we were on an organised tour( it was our first time)Sure someone else will though.
To get to Wat Po use the Tha Tien river boat stop. There is also a ferry here that will take you accross river to visit Wat Arun. What ever time of year you'll get a sweat on in Bangkok...hottest place I've been was Chatachuk market which is best visited on a Saturday or Sunday...I've been on a Friday and its a pale imitation of the weekend event.
Fiona that photo is amazing ! Thankyou both for your directions !
Do you know if there is a website or link to a thread that discusses how much I should expect to pay for things (watches, bags, jeans etc. ) at the markets so I can try and make sure I dont get ripped off !!?!
that would be difficult as everyone pays different prices! Have a wonder round the stalls and have a go a couple of times at haggling but walk away without buying. You'll soon get an idea of prices they want :D Even if you want to buy that particular item, say no and walk away after negotiation and see if they call you back :wink:
I am back from my holiday and I had the best two weeks ever !

I really want to say thankyou to both Fiona and Sunbear for their wonderful advice. The directions Sunbear provided were spot on and ensured I got everywhere safetly and with no fuss at all !!

Will write a trip report when I get a chance but just quickly wanted to say thankyou for your contributions! Very much appreciated!
Glad you had a great time :D I'm looking forward to your report and i hope the jetlag isn't too bad!
go on- just a brief report will do :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.