Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hi Willapp
Got back from Skala Potamias in Thassos 2 days ago so have just seen your post.
Most people seem to recommend http://www.rentacar-potos.gr who have an office in Golden Beach. We paid €150 for 5 days for a Punto with A/C booked in advance on the net.

I think a £500 budget might be a bit tight. We were paying €6-10 for a snack lunch. You can get pitta gyros for about €2 each. Toasties are about the same price. A 2 course dinner for 2 with 1/2 litre of wine was around €28 - 30. We didn't choose the cheapest things on the menu but not the dearest either. You could eat cheaper in a snack-bar, gyros or souvlaki plates being about €5.
Sunbeds were €7 for 2. Ice creams €1.50. You can drink the tap water. Large draught beer €2 -2.50. Spirits €4 ish. Fruit is cheap and plentiful.

Sorry, cant' help on the weather front.
The wasp situation is not as bad as I had been led to believe, one or two maybe flying round you at lunch time. I did get stung on the knee when I rolled onto one on the sunbed and I saw a child stand on one on the beach and get stung. I really don't think it's too bad though.
For more info try http://www.thassos-forum.com/. the International section is in English. this is a really friendly forum.
Have a good holiday.
Yiamass, Jean
Hi Jean,

Thanks so much for your post. Hope you had a great time on Thassos? Less than 4 weeks to go now, so getting quite excited! I've actually been twice before to Golden Beach, but this was about 12+ years ago!

I think we're going to use Potos for our car hire too, as they've been well recommended just about everwhere. Won't be booking until we get there though, as not sure whether to have it for 2 or 3 days, and I think it'll be a last-minute decision!

Is £500 really too little? We won't be using sunbeds (personally I think they're well overpriced these days) as we're going to bring our own umbrella and towels, so that'll save €7 a day. Also we're going B&B so I think the plan is to eat plenty at breakfast and have a light snack at lunch - €10 tops I'd think, maybe €15 occasionally - that leaves €35 for dinner which should be plenty as my partner doesn't drink alcohol and I won't every night either (honest!)

We'll take our credit card just in case, but I'm hoping our budget is going to stick - obviously we'd rather not have to watch what we spend on holiday, but this year we've got no choice.

Glad to hear the wasps weren't so bad. Honestly I'm not as scared as I used to be, but still don't like them buzzing around whilst we're eating.

Cheers,
Will.
Also I meant to ask: is there anything/place you'd recommend to visit whilst we're there? Or anywhere to avoid? I'm trying to compile a list of places to visit/eat (or avoid) which we can print out and take with us, so we can really get the most from our visit.

Thanks,
Will.
Hi Willapp
I was thinking today that you may actually be okay with £500 especially if you are not big drinkers. Just take your bank card for back-up. There is an ATM in Skala Potamia and in some of the other resorts.
For the beach we bought the roll-up straw mats for €1.50 each from the supermarket. Just keeps your towel a bit fresher and you can chuck em away when you come home.
Many of the tavernas give you a free shot and a plate of melon. We never had a bad meal. We ate in Golden Beach twice and the Fedra was great. It was recommended by a lot of people on the Thassos forum I mentioned.
We went round most of the island in the hire car and there is nowhere I would say to avoid. You can get about on the bus as well although we did't try this. Tickets are sold in supermarkets and the timetables are there. The beaches were very busy but should be less so when you go. We usually get there before 11.30 am though. We liked Aliki, 2 little bays to chose from, Pachis beach and Skala Rachoni. Really it was all very nice and pretty similar. It's the most Greek place we have been to, not just Greece for the English like some places.
Hope this helps,
Yiamass, Jean
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.