Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
:think Keep out of it!!!!!! thats the only advice i can give!!!!! :que let our wife make the desisions, just agree and pay for it!!!!! :tup YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE!!! :bow
BOB.
Have bought from many jewellers in Candolim, but you can't beat Mary's Jewellers on Beach Road.
No pressure, will give you a price, tell you to look around. He is certainly the best, and you can take it back the next season, he will keep is word, give you what you paid for it against an upgrade - be it £10 or £1,000. Also if you want anything copied, he is the man. His name is JAG
Papa
Here's a thread devoted to jewellery which will keep you busy. :D

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=65870

Most people who are return visitors have their favourite (and possibly the reverse) shops.

I notice you've not said where you're staying in Goa.

I always buy from Perry at Living Jewels in Candolim - since 2002. When we go in, there's usually lots of people we've met over the years so he does get a lot of repeat custom.

My advice would be to read the jewellery thread (or at least the more recent posts) and go prepared with a list of jewellers to visit.
Trust your gut instinct - I've been in a couple of shops and immediately been wary - either of the sales style (too pushy) or mis-information.
One jeweller told me (under the impression that I knew nothing about gems and that I was a lady on my own - OH was in a bar :rofl ) that Tanzanite was as hard as diamonds. I knew this to be totally untrue.

Finally - take bobthebus's advice - your wife will have loads of fun deciding on designs & stones.
Thanks prettypollycat,

I have perused the jewellery thread and found it informative but also confusing.One mans honest jeweler can be anothers thief.A bit like the restaurant thread really but of course a mistake can be more costly.

We are staying in Calangute but we always get a scooter so getting around will not be a problem.

Regards

Papa
hi papa,
we always use mustaffa in the santa monica hotel and have done for years, he is a very honest and genuine man, the last ring i bought from him a 1ct diamond just had it valued at three times the price we paid. :D
Hi jellytot,

We are staying at The santa Monica so I will have a look.

Papa
Hi Papa - I was in the same position as you a few years ago - needing to make a substantial purchase but wouldn't know a diamond from a piece of glass.

First, do some reading on diamonds - easy on the 'net. There are 4 "c's" to look for: clarity, carat, cut and another one I can't remember. Get yourself an eyeglass and when you go in the shop drop in a few technical words from your new-found knowledge and use your eyeglass. It really spooked some of the traders because they think you're an expert! Several went to another drawer and started bringing out better stones.

We traipsed round many stores and several were passing off very poor quality diamonds. Even my untrained eye could see there were bubbles and scars in the stones.

We eventually went with Living Jewels in Candolim. They are very nice people and all I can tell you is that the ring we eventually bought was valued over here at more than twice the price I paid for it. Many customers claim a much bigger gain than this. They made a perfect copy of the ring we wanted from a photograph - said if we didn't like it, they'd just put into stock and we didn't need to buy it. Friends have also bought goods and been pleased with subsequent valuations.

There are some really ropey diamonds in Goa and you need to be on your toes.
The guys in Living Jewels are aware of Holiday Truths - they know that one bad deal will be common knowledge in double time, so mention it when talking to them.

Hope you get sorted out and let us know how you go on! :tup
Roma. that sounds like really good advice. even i'm going to bear that in mind. :bow
BOB. :cheers
like prettypolly i have used living jewels and been well pleased.we have also bought from guru and were pleased with uk valuations.will be paying them both a visit this year hopefully.
I've never bought from Guru - but I HAVE spent some time with my nose pressed against the window waiting for my OH to change money next door in the Elephant Shop. :rofl

The guys there seem nice (as they try to entice me into the shop) and the quality looks good.

Roma has given some great advice - the 4 'C's are clarity, cut, carat - and colour.

Here's a link to a website that has some information on the 4 'C's:
http://www.diamondgeezer.com/
Click on 'Know your diamonds' at the bottom left hand side.

If you click on 'Diamonds' on the top of the screen, you can play about with diamond shape, weight, colour, cut and clarity to give you an idea of how the price changes.
The picture of a diamond at the side shows what inclusions you can expect as you change the clarity.

For example, a 1 carat VVS1 (very, very slightly included) colour D (the best and colourless) could cost you (on the website) £9261.00.
If you drop down to a .9 carat, colour G, VS1 (very slightly included) it would cost £3416.00.

Usually there's a price leap if you go over a certain weight, for example a 1 carat stone with exactly the same other properties as a .99 carat one will be exponentially more expensive. Same with a 1.5 carat against a 1.49 carat.

I strongly advise anybody who is considering buying diamonds in Goa to do some research beforehand.
I'd never buy a decent diamond or gemstone that has already been set - choose your loose stone then discuss the setting you want.

If you're thinking of buying other coloured gemstones, this website has some good info on hardness etc:
http://www.gemstv.co.uk/Gemopedia/gem-a-z.jsp

Papa
Perry at Living Jewels made me a new wedding ring last time we were there.
It has 6 round diamonds, 6 baguette diamonds weighing .70 carat and it's fab.
I always ask Perry to put me a lot of gold in my rings.
As he didn't have the quality of diamonds in the shop (he knows I'm quite demanding) , he sent the order off to Mumbai (he has a workshop there) to be made.
He's also on occasions rung his local goldsmith in Goa to pop over to discuss a certain design or stone shape with me.
Both Perry and Harry are very helpful and we pop in their shop most evenings on our way out to eat just to say 'Hello'.
prettypollycat,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply.

Papa
Cheers, Papa - do you get the impression that I'm 'into' jewellery? :rofl

Hey! Here's a thought - if your wife doesn't read this website, how about doing some research in secret so you can amaze her with your knowledge when you go into a jewellers in Goa?

Another thing:
white gold jewellery, especially if worn regularly will gradually lose its colour so you will need to have it treated to regain the white gold colour.

I have a few white gold pieces but because I don't wear them all the time, they are still as I bought them - 4 or 5 years ago.
PPC - I never knew that about white gold, it's amazing what you can learn on HT. :tup I bought a white gold wedding band in Panjim (a jeweller recommended by a trusted Goan friend) can't remember the name of the place as must be 5 years back now. I have had it polished up a couple of times and it looks good again but it soon dulls over - didn't realize it could lose it's colour though. Can you get it retreated in Goa? (probably silly question as they always seem to be able to do anything...................except move the RP (off topic) :D Fizz
Fizzy
I'm only going on what I've been told, but I HAVE found this online which mentions having white gold items re-dipped:

http://www.ringsurf.com/online/2990-white_gold_rings.html

I'm sure that you'd be able to get it done in Goa.

River Princess? :rofl
PPC - I'll take a look at that site. :tup I'd like a white gold solitaire ring to go with my wedding band but I'm useless when buying jewellery, absolutely no knowledge of what to look out for at all :duh (ripe to be conned!) so all these tips are very useful - well they would be if I could persuade other half to buy me some :D
Fizz
One mans honest jeweler can be anothers thief

Yup, but I HAVE to say Harry at 'Living Jewels' is very attentive, very professional and produced a ring to MY design. Very pleased. I told him I'd spread the good word... :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.