Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Hi Dazza,

This is the Varosha area of Famagusta on the east coast of the island. Briefly (and trying to remain non-political), the Turkish army requested that everyone leave there in 1974. They were given just hours to leave - this included residents and tourists (Famagusta having been the 'jewel of the med' for tourism at the time). Most people thought it would be a temporary measure, and so, added to the short amount of time allowed, they left pretty much with the clothes on their backs.

Since then the town has remained unoccupied, but there are photos of what has happened to it if you search the web (try googling Return to Varosha).

No-one is allowed in there now, although you can stand on the beach and see the bomb damaged and neglected hotels that stand there to this day.

The ghost town remains a political football, and there are often talks of re-opening it, but, even if the political obstacles are addressed, its unlikely any of the buildings could be repaired, and the whole town would have to be flattened.

Its a very sad but fascinating place to visit, but you can only observe the town from outside. Steens restaurant and The Big Red Bus operate tours around there.

Richie
"requested" yeah thats a good way of putting it ! :yikes
Ha Ha -as I said Steve - "trying to remain non-political"! Actually, haven't you got a few snaps of the beach area - not that you're allowed to take pictures of course ;)
we have yet to do the over the boarder trip... so not got any personal photos... can't bring myself to go and look at what its done to the people, the area and the Island as a whole if I'm honest.. I know I really should.. I've been to the famagusta zoo look out point and watched the videos are looked at all the information there, done the normal big red bus tour several times but so far not crossed over....
You should go Steve - Most of the locals I've spoken to are glad - even surprised - that tourists take an interest in it - and even more so that we are aware of the circumstances. The Big Red Bus Tour is a very GC sympathetic organisation (as you'll know from the villages tour) and while I've not been on their trip I would imagine its done very sympathetically. I'd imagine Steens to be very similar.

Can't say it isn't upsetting - particularly for someone with an affinity for Cyprus - but worth doing.
As Baggieboy says, you aren't allowed to take photos or video

These are mine ;) here

And the video is here

I am a member (if a quiet one) at Return to Varosha so other members (Baggieboy ;)) may have already seen these.
Note to mods/admin. I confirm that these are my own images and video
I have some fabulous photos taken on Famagusta beach in 1961.
My husband was stationed nearby and he reckons it was the best posting he had. :sun2
They seemed to spend every afternoon on the beach which I have always wanted to visit.
The nearest I got was on a boat from Ayia Napa in 2003.
nice pictures Ade

did you get near the Ford dealership, they left an early 60's mk1 cortina [consul trim] in the showroom
Thanks Brian, had to take them when the guards backs were turned so not as good as they might have been.
That's about as close as you can get to Varosha. The barbed wire is right next to the front of the hotel, beach side.
Didn't know about the cortina, but I have seen photos of the 1974 datsuns all lined up covered in dust and sand.
nice pics, seems wierd people on the beach when you have abandoned city behind you, kind of eerie!!
I love the Red Bus Trip village trip but have to say the one to Famagusta was a bit of a let down perhaps because my expectations might have been too high. I expected to have a guided tour of Famagusta but all you basically do is take the bus to Famagusta, get dropped off with a map to wander around the town, do some shopping and have something to eat, pick up and go to Palm Beach for about 30 minutes to view Varosha on the way back to the RoC. The beach is lovely and the sea warmer than Protaras. The shops are full of overpriced fake rubbish and you can't window shop because it is very much Turkish and you get the hassle. There is a very marked difference between the ROC and the TRNC. Because of my own personal beliefs it took me a number of years before I ventured over the green line. In a way I'm glad I did it but won't be doing it again. You can understand though why the area was known as the jewel in the Med, must have been beautiful pre 74.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.