General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
just say no thank you,and keep walking
depends on where you are and what they are selling..the best one i know for timeshare toughts is sorry we have our own apartment in XYZ eg if in Pafos i tell them premera if on one of the Greek island then on Zzz [another island] usually works
Just a polite no thankyou usually does it. After a few days they get to know your face and stop asking. :lol:
Tell them you are an undischarged bankrupt.

fwh
Just have a scratchcard and say 'just my luck, only two beeping monkeys!!!' :)
A polite no thanks or 'already eaten' usually works for me, but that's the places I go. I really couldn't bear to be accosted by timeshare touts and people trying to get me into their bars for a free shot any more.

I remember some woman in Malta was actually completely hostile towards us when we told her not interested in her timeshare scratch cards etc. Very rude!

I am quite happy to be asked by restaurant and bar owners if they stay at the doorway of their premises, after all they want business. Any more than that and it really puts a dampener on a holiday for me.
Hi SandC,
Wonder if it was the same one who accosted me and the missus in Malta, when we said we wer`nt interested; she really went off on one saying we must be stupid & thick etc, could`nt believe it :shock: Also had foul mouthed ones in the Algarve when we would`nt go to their presentation to pick up our "winnings" after falling for the scratchcard trick.
Regards, Brigger
If you have blond hair, I find its useful to pretend you are Swedish and don't speak good english - most hawkers don't know enough to understand that a poor command of english is highly unlikely in a swedish person ! ...... :D
If I'm not in Turkey, then I speak Turkish to them - it totally baffles them!
If I am in Turkey, then I either say that I've already eaten, or that I'll maybe try them some other night, but I do emphasis the maybe.
Very rude it may be :oops: but I have found that it is easier to simply say nothing and continue on. It is only when you are polite and get into a conversation that things develop. I always feel a bit guilty, but continue to be rude! Jenny
I've been reading up on Turkish websites and they do tell you that you can be blunt and they don't take offence to it. If you are not blunt they think they are 'in with a chance'. It does somewhat go against us brits and our ingrained politeness (I'm sure all us lot on here are very polite) but it is often the only way.
I always speak Welsh if I am really not interested - worked until Turkey last year when it turns out he had studied in Bangor !! - said his North Walian welsh was too heavily accented for a valley girl to understand ,but we still had a "siared" every night after that
lally
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.