Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi Lozza,
Seems to me that you will be spending most of your holiday on buses, just to give you a vague idea, i have used the autobus ( overland coach ) from Fethiye to Istanbul, 500 mile and it took 11 hours with a couple of rest stops.
I have looked on google earth and if i'm right on their exact location your first leg Istanbul to Gallipoli as the croow flies is just over 600 mile, possibly 14 or 15 hours.
Second leg gallipoli to Kusadsi around 600 mile as the crow flies, same again 14 or 15 hours.
Kusadasi to fethiye about 150 mile and the list goes on,
personally speaking although your holiday sounds like it might be fun visiting all of these places, i think you will find it very very tiring, but good luck to you.

:wink: Kev :wink:
Thanks for your response Kev.

I know that my first leg is only about 5hrs according to some of the tour websites I've looked at that take you there and do a 4-5hr tour in the same day. So, I'm hoping it's not 14-15hrs as you guessed!! :)
I'll wait to see if anyone has done the trips and knows the timing, but if you're even close to accurate, you're totally right and we will be very very tired.

If anyone has done the trips and knows how long it will take, I'd love to know.

Thanks. :)
Canakkale to;

Gallipoli Battlefields: ferry & taxi, about 30 minutes (to Kabatepe Information Center & Museum)

Istanbul: 340 km (211 miles) E, 6 hours

Istanbul's Atatürk Int'l Airport: 317 km (197 miles) E, 5 hours

Izmir: 340 km (211 miles) S, 5 hours

Kusadasi to;

Adnan Menderes (Izmir) Airport: 80 km (50 miles), 1.25 hours

Ephesus: 17 km (11 miles), 25 minutes

Istanbul: 705 km (438 miles), 9.5 hours

Izmir: 95 km (59 miles), 1.5 hours

Marmaris: 200 km (124 miles), 4 hours

Pamucak Beach: 8 km (5 miles) N, 15 minutes

Selcuk: 20 km (12 miles), 30 minutes

Fethiye to;

Antalya (coastal route via Kas): 295 km (183 miles) E, 6 hours

Antalya (inland route via Korkuteli): 222 km (138 miles) E, 3.5 hours

Dalyan: 76 km (47 miles) NW, 1.75 hours

Demre (Myra): 150 km (93 miles) SE, 3 hours

Ephesus (Selçuk): 306 km (190 miles) NW, 4.5 hours

Istanbul: 890 km (553 miles) N, 16 hours

Olimpos: 215 km (134 miles) E, 5.75 hours

Ölüdeniz: 8.5 km (5.3 miles) S, 15 minutes

Antalya to Cappadocia ; 586-km (364-mile) 9 hours over night bus from Antalya bus station..

So after all that there are no scary 14-15 hrs bus rides...for the most part 6hrs..except for the Antalya-Goreme route..and still it is not all that bad..

Ps...I am an ex-pat living in Antalya for 11 yrs and we drove ourselves last year from Antalya to Canakkale there and back in 4 nights and 5 days...

whether you take the Fez buses or public buses...either way is good..I would however prefer the independant public buses...so if you change your plans slightly you are not commited to their schedule..

from all the places you have mentioned...public bus service is easily avialable..

my photos;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets/
Hi Caretta,

Thanks heaps for that! I didn't think the journeys were quite that long!!!! Plus, we're from Australia, so driving for 4/5hrs to get somewhere is not that big a deal.

You have also made me a bit more confident on the local buses instead of Fez Bus, after advising me that all routes we have chosen are fairly accessible by domestic buses.

Can't wait until August!!

:sun2
Hi lozza83 ...

And you are more than welcome....a few other tips for you to make your travels as easy as possible..where ever you plan to stay at have the owner/manager help you make your bus tickets in advance..for them it is just a simple telephone call away and they can advise you on the correct means of travel...

Second tip...you are planning to stay in Olympos...which BTW is lovely...if you are looking for the budget acommodations ( mainly the treehouses / bungalows etc ) and are interested in the backpacker party scene then it is a nice place for you..however ..if you are not...consider staying in Cirali instead...same beach ( shared by both villages )...the advantages of staying in Cirali are this..closer to the beach, flames of the Chimaera ( Yanartas ) which is located in the north end of the Cirali village, and Cirali is a bit more quiet than Olympos catering to more families and the mature traveller..

just my thoughts :) have a great trip
Thanks again for your tips!! And your photos are great.

I think we will definitely stay in the treehouses in Olympos, as that is the scene we will be after (well, at least for a few nights on our trip anyway).

So if we book the tickets via the accommodation we plan to stay at, do you think we will get the cheapest/reasonable price, or do they bump it up for the convenience of it? So basically, once we book our accommodation, are you saying we can email them and ask them to book our ticket for our next journey so it's there waiting for us when we arrive from our previous bus journey? That does sounds nice and easy...I like the sound of that! :)
You do not have to pre-book that far ahead for bus tickets...what I was trying to say is any nice hotel owner/manager..( once you are there ) can help you organize or reserve for you by phone your tickets for the next part of your journey..

usually 1 day before or the same day is enough avanced planning..also many of these buses are daily leaving every hour or so to the next town/city...sometimes you just wait along side of the road to board them..

There are frequent busses from Canakkale to Izmir ( Selcuk / Kusadasi ).

The companies working on these routes are Canakkale Truva, Kamil Koc, Metro, and Radar.

and then you could change buses to get to either location...but inquire when buying your tickets with Canakkale Truva as thye might have direct buses to Kusadasi..

Truva Turizm Bus Company

Çanakkale Tel : +90.(0)286.217 48 91 - 217 77 78 - 212 27 640
+90.(0)286. 212 22 22 - 213 31 00 - 217 13 56
\Izmir Tel : +90.(0).232. 472 00 94 (5 lines)
http://www.truvatur.com

Kamil Koc Bus Company

Istanbul Tel : +90.(0)216.418 8485-86
Çanakkale Tel : +90.(0)286.213 75 00
http://www.kamilkoc.com.tr

Radar Turizm Bus Company
Çanakkale Tel : +90.(0)286.213 12 60
+90.(0)286.213 11 60

Hakiki Koc Bus Company
Çanakkale Tel : +90.(0)286.217 1960
+90.(0)286.214 11 78
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.