Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
hi when going abroad it is best to use bottled water than the local tap water ?this can give u a bad stomach ?
We gave our wee fella bottled and all was fine.

Lummie ;)
hi.sam........why not take a small travelling kettle with you then you can boil up the water for the bairn.from the tap.......its safer still then..
regards....j.d.........
Took our then 18 month old last October and she drank plenty of bottled water during our week's stay, that's all she drinks. No adverse problems.
Thanks all! :tup

The villa we are staying in has a kettle so I'll have the option of boiling, although I think I will go down the bottled water route.

Only 15 weeks until we go! :sun2
When our kids were young our health visitor advised us to check bottled water and try and use the one which was lowest in sodium or calcium content.
The reason why you are advised not to use tap water for babies is because a lot of the water in the algrave comes from de-salination plants or artesian wells and hence has a higher mineral content than your baby is used to here. It's perfectly safe to drink and in fact boiling it could be marginally worse than just using it straight from the tap because it will actually raise the % mineral content, especially if you don't empty it completely and refill with fresh tap water each time you boil it.

The best bet is to buy bottled but check the sodium and calcium content as advised. I suggest that you soak off a label from something like 'Highland Spring' here before you go - it has a low salt content - and then you have something to compare the local bottled waters with. I live in an area with naturally soft tap water and hence find that tea made with tap water in a 'hard' water area tastes awful with the result that in places like Portugal I always use low mineral content bottled water for tea etc. Not because it's unsafe but because I can't stand the taste or the scum that forms in the cup when you drink tea made with hard water without milk!

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.