Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi Gooner .could you just give us an idea if you prefer to stay Self catering or A/I and what size of resort you like .Olu Deniz certainly is stunning. there is plenty going on but with a relaxed feel.
we certainly love it there but the main Belcekiz beach although stunning is not really a family beach . its very stoney and drops quite sharply at the waters edge but there are some lovely private beaches on the Lagoon area where the owners will collect you as long as you spend money at their beach area. As far as distance from the airport you could do a private transfer in under an hour but the T/O coach would probably take an hour and a half.

lyn
i go to turkey 4-5 times a year and ive been going about 25 years now and as lyn says olu is lovely but you would need to visit the lagoon area for the sandy beach and calm waters, this is only 10-15 mins walk or a free dolmus, there are lots of little beaches in the lagoon some are in a conservation area, our favourite is suara beach.

we also love akyaka which is about 45-50 mins from dalaman, beautiful scenery and beach, you have to go into the sea a long way before it gets deep, but its fairly quiet there, deffo no lager louts , so it ticks all your boxes. its best to book diy as i think only anatolian sky do packages there, but not sure if it will be too quiet for you, we love it and my kids love it, have a look on the resorts page, ive also downloaded quite a few photos of akyaka in the gallery. good luck with where ever you decide
If you are thinking of going a/i have a look at the hotels in belek ,they are right on the beach , plenty of water slides and such for the kids , you will not get lager louts there .We go there twice a year and find that it is a very relaxing type of holiday with no stress, oh and it is only 25/30mins transfer from the airport. If i can help you in any way feel free to send me a pm.

Bluepeterno1
thanks for all the replys so far, i should have added, that we plan 4/5 star and probably AI. I shall definitrly have a look at the hotels in belek !

In the past Ive been put off becuase the flights are at ridiculous times, and for two kids 6 its just a lot of hassle.

Incidentally, anyone read the article in todays Mirror, apart rip off prices at the airports ?
yeah but to people that know you take a picnic to the airport or pay for the cip lounge and get a buffet and drinks thrown in
this cost is not to bad i cant remember how much though
The lounge was £12 each this June.We were delayed and looked in the lounge but the seats are very uncomfortable so we declined.Good Job we did as we got transfered to a nearby hotel overnight.
In the lounge you have ONE alcoholic drink included in the price but as much tea, coffee and soft drinks and also as much food as you need.

John
If you are used to 4-5* then your best bet is Side or Alanya. Both are mainly european, so no louts.... flat sand, warm waters, fantastic hotels. History on your doorstep, and proper Turkey!!!

Have a look at the hotel reviews on this site, for starters.... that's how I found somewhere I love.
Club Asteria in Belek is fantastic :D

Its A/I and brilliant for kiddies and adults :lol:
Hi Gooner if you do decide to book in Belek then i would stay away from Grida village we recently had a dreadful week there. Although i cant speak for the rest of Belek. I would hate for someone else to make the same mistake as us, my time is very precious only having 2 weeks off every year and i wished the full week that i was back home at work. Hope you find a great resort and have a fab holiday.
if you still fancy olu Deniz . there are some great A/s right in the town . so not isolated like many A/Is The belcekiz beach only available from thomson/portland), the olu deniz resort hotel or club sun city . I have been to belcekiz beach and sun city . enjoyed both but for quality the BB wins. there is also lykia world a couple of miles from town that looks Fab . all of these get good reviews . You wont have the facilities that some of the larger A/Is around the belek area can offer but you will have a great atmospere, friendly staff and the lovely resort of Olu on your doorstep where you can join in numerous activities like paragliding, boat trips and exsursions for the history lovers. :D
My favourite is the Hemera in Side.It is the number 1 hotel in Side which is beautiful.
Ive just been looking at the Hemera Jay for 2009 :roll: Its been on my shortlist now for a couple of years. Is there somewhere there i.e an on site disco or Bar where my teens can have a boogie in the evenings because looking at the desciption that could be the only thing missing for me with 16 and 17 year olds in tow.

Lyn
Hemera does not have any disco or club. The music after shows only goes on for half an hour............ the shows are good, some okay but could be tedious for teens, and they only serve alcohol to over 18s!There are places outside the hotel, but a lot of locals go there...... depends how street wise they are....
Can Garden in centre of Side has good reviews, and is closer to more bars and clubs generally.
We have just come back from the Titanic at Lara Beach, near Antayla.

Only 15 mins from the airport and the most superb hotel & sandy beach - your kids would love it....as much as you .

Take a look at the reviews - they speak for themselves. :)
Lara Beach.... is there anything outside the hotels or do you have to go into Antalya?
jdbbnsn, Glad you enjoyed Titanic, we were there in May and had a fab holiday. Going next door to Larespark in April, can't wait to go back to Lara Beach. Denny
Hi Perfume. There is not a great deal outside the Hotel. New Bazaars have sprung up and one or two Coffee shops but nothing for children. If you want to go into Antalya then you can take the 105 Dolmuş which passes by every 30 minutes and will drop you in the centre. ( just say ' Centrum ' ) to the driver. It will cost you about 30p each. If you take the Taxi from outside the Hotel and ask him to take you Ã-rnekköy ( pronouced ernek koy ) it will cost you about 10 YTL and is around 4 Km from the Hotel.You will find some shops, Bars, Beach, Restauraunts etc. Little bit like Spain of 30 years ago. The Hotels at Lara Beach are superb and the best in Turkey.

Ian
Can Garden in Side is a hotel which consists of wooden chalets.Not very luxurious but very near the old town.The Can Garden Resort is in Colkali about 8ks from the town of Side.
Lynn,If you are at the Hemera during school holidays your sons will probably meet other teenagers and may not find it so boring.There was a family with teenagers when we were there and they didnt want to go home even though it was not the peak season.Its much better than the Sun City .Jay
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.