General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I don't doubt that fumes in aircraft can sometimes cause problems - any enclosed space where you are breathing recycled air can be dodgy but I'm dubious about the science in the link that you provide Hippyjak

Similar organophosphate poisoning has been experienced by people who may have been exposed by inhaling fumes while working in agriculture or horticulture,

Organophosphates can cause the symptoms ascribed to aerotoxic syndrome in agricultural and horticultural workers but this is usually because they have been exposed to them directly over long periods of time rather than by inhaling fumes ie breathing in organophosphates in gas state. They are powerful insecticides and herbicides and are also used in sheepdips and their use is now tightly controlled in the UK for that reason. But it is a major problem for women working in the intensive cut flower industries in Africa and Latin America where they are still heavily used in spraying systems in the hothouses and polytunnels to kill insects and weeds.

Did you use airconditioning whilst you were away? The symptoms that you describe could equally be as a result of what is sometimes referred to as 'sick building syndrome' or of a bacterial or fungal infection within the air conditioning system.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/sbs.html

I try to avoid airconditioning for this reason but sometimes you can't in public buildings but I would certainly never use it overnight in a bedroom.

SM
I'd add that I often get the snuffles or a cough after flying with a certain lowcost carrier. I refer to it as Ryanitis.
Brilliant post SMa - I've never heard of it before, but obvious have of the Aircon in buildings

:rofl Alsa
These people (aircrew whose careers have ended prematurely due to Aerotoxic Syndrome) have been banging on about it for years (and others). Some people refer to it as "the best kept aviation secret ever " and aerotoxic syndrome is not new, if it was conclusively proven (medically), some airlines would need quite a few shillings in the bank to pay out the potential claimants....a bit like Gulf War Syndrome, they won't admit to that either.:wink

http://www.aerotoxic.org/about-aerotoxic-syndrome

Sanji
HippyJak - I am currently collating information on passengers who have been affected by exposure to fumes onboard aircraft. Currently I am dealing with 3 flights. This is a vitally important area and I can assure those within this forum, there is a vast wealth of evidence to support the claims that are made by passengers & crew; in fact the evidence trail can be traced back to the early 1950's. I have had a recent meeting with the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) in Cologne in which it was clear that they simply either do not believe the Consumer story or that they think that in determining the science, it is unimportant! This is a very important issue and one in which I have submitted 3 reports to EASA and the Australian CASA. Parliament is also currently considering this important issue, although the view from there is very industry focussed. I would be grateful if you could look me up via Twitter - @HTWFrank - and I will happily speak with you and guide you on the issues following your flight - Regards, HTWFrank
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.