Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
Hi

I was out in Tenerife in January and a couple of bar owners were telling me
that the Canarian Goverment is looking into scrapping all AI in Tenerife due to the pressure
of Local Buisness people.

Has anyone heard of this.

Regards

Dave :que :que
All inclusive.Hadnt heard anything about it being scrapped though
The best one's are outside of PDLA in Playa Paraiso, about a 10 to 12 Euro taxi ride away.
They are (in no particular order)...
Bahia Principe
Dunas Paraiso
Roca Nivaria
I have found a place called Marylanza - it looks like it is in between Las Americas and Los Cristiano - this is AI and it says it is walking distance to main Las Americas - It looks really good so I'm looking to book for next year. Good luck. Let me know if you find it.
Hi there,
I can agree with the hotels listed by crocket as I have stayed in both B.P. and D.P. and both are excellent. We're actually going to Bahia Principe AGAIN this October. Another hotel worth considering if you're wanting to be near more of the beaches, shops and bars is the Melia Jardines Del Teide, which is located in Costa Adeje (costa adeje is the new upmarket suburb of PDLA). This is a 4 star all inclusive hotel and is excellent. We stayed here in May 2007 and had a fantastic time. I dont think any of the major British tour operators do this hotel however, it is available on ALL of the accomodation only websites: Travelrepublic, Broadway, Alpha rooms etc.
I hope you find what you're wanting and have a good time.
I for one do hope that AI is scrapped here.

Not only does it have an awful effect on local businesses, why would anyone want to eat in the same place for their entire holiday when there are plenty of really good reasonablly priced restaurants about.

Please reconsider going AI, there is so much to see and do in Tenerife which is lost when going AI
Hi

I agree with Jackie,AI is ok for family,s with Kids in Tenerife,but not for adults,there is
too many bars and resturants to visit and at good prices.

I cannot get my head round eating in the same hotel for a week or two in a great place
like Tenerife,very boring.

Daveyboy

:( :(

PS; Playa Paraiso is not a good location stay in Costa Adeja/Fanabe :wave:
Thanks for your advice.Personally i wouldnt go AI in Tenerife either as I have been there every year for the last 6 years either HB or self catering but this was a suggestion from 2 of our party. Think I will persuade them otherwise!! :sun2
Just had a week AI in Las Americas (Fanabe region) at the Ocean Resort with First Choice. Is was excellent value for money, great food but extremely weak alcoholic drinks. I think this is because it is a family resort and they can't afford to have drunk adults walking around with so many children. We had 1 night out and the beer and wine with the meal hit the spot immediately.
Sorry to disagree but right now if you are a British holiday maker changing your pounds sterling into Euros's eating out at restaurants in Las Americas/cristianos is anything but cheap!

Whilst I appreciate its not good for the bar and restaurant owners..staying half board or even AI at a decent hotel is currently the most economically sound reason for your bank balance to visit Tenerife!
Smam,

Incredible, I got back from the Ocean Resort on Tuesday (well, Wednesday actually, thanks to a 3 hour delay) so must have been there at the same time as you! I agree 100% about the drinks, and was a little disappointed that only one brand of beer seemed to be included in the 'All Inclusive.' I was also a little disappointed that everything finished at 11:45pm on the dot, and the security guy seemed to be ushering everyone to bed - weren't even allowed to play pool. As you say, it was a very family orientated hotel, so we usually ended up at bars outside the hotel once the entertainment had finished.

We found the food in the main restaurant a little bit repetetive and not really to our liking, and hence only ate there twice in our seven night stay. On the plus side, the First Choice reps and entertainers were fantastic, and seemed to be working non-stop!

On the subject of food and drink prices in Playa de las Americas, we found a few excellent places that offered great value during the day. Managed to get a Full English breakfast and a pint of San Miguel for just 3 euros, and many places were offering a pint for a euro "until 6pm." For evening meals, it did seem a little more expensive than in the past. One thing I've also noticed is that portions seem to be relatively small in most of the restaurants we visited.
We did all-inc at the Caledonia Park, came home two weeks ago. Yes, the food was repetative and towards the end of the holiday I couldn't be bothered with mealtimes anymore, but the drinks were good, and not too "weak". There are some lovely places around PDLA to have a good value-for-money meal, but they all charge silly prices for drinks with the meal.
With the current exchange rate the way it is, I would say AI is a good option, even if you just use it for your drinks during the day and drinks in the evening before/after going out for a proper meal.
It's a shame for local businesses if they feel that AI isn't good for trade, but they should consider the prices of their drinks, and how much us it is costing us holidaymakers to be there, especially now we're only getting 1.20€ to the £1 :shock:
There is another thread about this HERE
I was out in Tenerife in January and a couple of bar owners were telling me
that the Canarian Goverment is looking into scrapping all AI in Tenerife due to the pressure
of Local Buisness people

What right do the local business people have to tell folks, where to spend there money.

Local business will want All inclusive stopping, so people can venture out and spend in bars and restaurants.

I personally dont like a/i, but for some people it works, they pay for there holiday and then don't have to worry about spend.

I've gone down this route in the other drink thead.

las americas at easter was buzzing during the day, but at night it was dead. Bars were half empty if not empty.

And it's all to do with the drop in the euro and the price of drinks.

10 years ago when in tenerife i was out every night, in different bars, now not anymore, we go out later, or we stay in some nights, having a drink on the balcony.

10 euros for a pint and a vodka tonic isn't on.
Thanks for all the info. We have now booked AI at the Caledonia Park for a week in October.Cant wait.
:sun2
I have to disagree with a number of you also.

As someone that has visited Tenerife at least twice a year for the past ten years, I have become sick and tired of prices that are rocketing, service and standards that are falling, and complaints from the local businesses about how bad tourism has become. I hate to say it to them, but guess what... it's their fault!

I now take my family to an all inclusive resort (The Bahia Principe) as it is very well priced, good quality, and a pleasure to stay at. When we fancy a change we dip into PDLA or LC, but to be honest we don't need to venture out often. We don't feel ripped off, we don't have to think about money very often, and I don't get that sickening feeling when handing over upwards of £60 in a cafe for some mediocre food and drinks (or £100 in a half-decent restaurant in the evening). Yes, it's not the most luxurious of hotels (and we've stayed at the Mare Nostrum, Bahia Del Duque, Villa Cortes and a few other of the islands "best hotels" in the past), but we keep going back because it's luxurious enough and good value. Drinks are strong enough, the bars are open long enough, the food is good (bordering on excellent often) and the kids entertainment is great.

Ok, I would love to go back 7 or 8 years to the time when we spent two weeks eating out at different restaurants every night, drinking all night, and feeling like we'd had a great holiday without being fleeced. But unfortunately, until Tenerife gets a dose of reality (possibly from the backlash of the credit crunch in the UK) those days seem to be long gone.

So, local businesses, if you want my trade the message is simple. Get back to the basics of good service, good food and drink, and reasonable prices and I will gladly give you my custom. Until then, I'm very happy with my AI holiday thank you! And if the local government wants to ban AI, then guess what, we'll find somewhere else...

Cheers,
Gary D.
I have to agree with GaryD regarding the all inclusive issue.

I am also a twice a year visitor to tenerife and like gary have visited many of the quality hotels in Tenerife (something which tenerife has in abundance). We have also chosen the Bahia principe as our favourite place because of all the excellent amenities, food and drink. We usually have our main holiday here and try one of the other quality A.I. hotels for our other holiday. There is a new hotel opening shortly in playa la arena, hotel costa los gigantes, which is 4 star All Inclusive and part of the spring hoteles group. If it is anything like the other hotels in the spring group then it will be another excellent addition to tenerife's growing list of quality all inclusive hotels. We have already booked for our may 2009 holiday.

One subject i must raise is the prices/exchage rate issue. In my opinion I dont think that rocketing prices issue is a problem only for tenerife/the canaries. In the last week or so I've spoken to numerous people who have just returned from holidays throughout the med and the first thing they've mentioned was how expensive things were. Is this down to exchange rates ? possibly. Also, i've been browsing various discussion forums on this website and a lot of questions people are posting is "how much is this" or "how much is that". I feel that people are still taking their holidays as normal but are maybe not spending as much once they arrive, or are more careful. Possibly because of the credit crunch or maybe poor exchange rates?

Anyway, back to the all inclusive issue. I have noticed a few posts mentioning people going out of business, possibly due to all inclusive hotels and the canarian government are to intervene. I am no economic expert but surely wont these all inclusive hotels create more jobs for locals?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.