Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Air Asia X
5 Posts
After the Air Maldives, Phuket Air, Oasis fiascos I really have to say - i'll believe it when I see it!
Hi Sam

As an ex-pat I've only heard of Phuket Air and I wouldn't have flown with them for a gold clock and a pension.

The AAX story has been around for at least a year and there is a lot of information on the web about it. However, it seems to be actually happening... our own airport website has info http://www.melbourneairport.com.au/about_airport/media_releases.asp

I understand your own Mr Branson has a 16% share in it... he's canny with his money so hopefully it'll come to fruition. :cheers

Cheers Geri
I think Oz - KL is feasable as it allows the airline to complete a return circuit everyday. But with Europe being 12-13 hours away it just means they need such a bigger fleet, and more costly maintainence.

I also noticed they said on their website: "A key principle of the AirAsia X business model is high frequency, point-to-point medium to long-haul services. Covering destinations between four and eight hours in flight duration from Kuala Lumpur"

Phuket Air were a (PR) disaster in the end. I'm not sure if one of their aircraft is still (metaphorically!) clamped at Gatwick for unpaid landing fees, but it was for many years!

The one strength that Air Asia X would have over them and Oasis is that they use newer, more fuel efficient aircraft where both Oasis and Air Asia were using second hand fuel guzzlers, and they got destroyed by fuel costs.

But the reason why I don't think they would work is because -

Flight prices in the UK are already very competitive, especially at the moment (£414 on Etihad inc taxes), and the simple truth is that most scheduled airlines to an extent subsidize economy class passengers (especially the cheapest ones!) with expensive flexible business passengers, and business class fares (price up Malaysia or Singapore Airlines - you won't get anything under £3,500 in business).

So, Air Asia X will get plenty of people paying the 'headline' fares of £50 + tax (which will equate to £350ish). But if they fill the plane with people paying £350, then they won't make money. So of course, Supply and Demand will mean first come first served, and there will be higher fares, of course going up in small increments, but if you had the choice of Air Asia at £450 or Etihad, or Emirates for the same price, what would you choose?

Or Air Asia at £450 and Malaysian at £500 as they currently are? Especially when you have to take into account luggage and food costs and seating costs are all additional.

And in their 'Business Class' cabin - well Oasis had plenty of leisure travellers switching from Premium Economy on BA & Virgin to try it out. But Business Travellers? Wouldn't touch em with a barge pole. If you are going to fly Business, you want to be sufficiently rested to work when you arrive, and also book an airline with the capacity to be reliable and be able to re-book you should their be a problem, which Oasis never had.

Anyway, this is of course, just me hypothetisising (sp?), so just my opinion, but they have repeatedly delayed (for 3 years now?) their UK flights. I'd be surprised to ever see them happen, especially at the moment!
Hey found this blog is quite useful as it highlighted all the hidden charges and do all the calculation about the Air Asia X. For those who considering flying with Air Asia to London, better take a look.

tinyurl.com/airasiax

Hope it helps!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.