Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Asian long haul budget carrier launched

Low fare flights from Malaysia to Europe, China and India are to be launched this summer by start-up carrier AirAsia X.

Fares are expected to be about half the rate of regular long-haul scheduled services when flights start in July from a low cost terminal at Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

AirAsia X operator Fly Asian Xpress has signed a deal with local budget airline Air Asia to allow its brand to be franchised to the start-up.

The airline is in the process of finalising its fleet requirements with Boeing 777s and Airbus A330s in the frame.

Daily flights to unnamed popular destinations in China, India and Europe are planned, including the UK.

Virgin Atlantic and EasyJet had previously denied being potential partners with AirAsia in the project.

Air Asia CEO Tony Fernandes, a director and founder of FAX, reportedly said: "AirAsia X will offer an innovative product offering, ensuring passengers will enjoy a level of comfort and convenience suited for long haul travel.

"While AirAsia and AirAsia X will be two seprate legal entities and have separate management team, I believe AirAsia X and AirAsia will have a symbiotic relationship.

"Both carriers will enhance the feed of passengers into each others operations and ensure passengers enjoy a seamless experience by flying with both carriers. We intend to leverage from the global popularity of AirAsia in creating the awareness of AirAsia X."

With permission from Travelmole
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.