Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
I think you are going to have to call Atlanta again. It isn't expensive at all, only 0.5p/min SEE HERE

luci :wave
Ok, I did speak to Atlanta again.......now denying that they've received the mailed documents, and stating very bluntly that "they will not accept e-mailed claims". (despite what the e-mail response I had states)

What makes me dubious about this so-called "customer care" line is that they told me yesterday that the last record they have of my bag is at Amsterdam, which is incorrect, as I have been told by them that it was traced as far as Detroit, scanned as being loaded in Detroit, but reported as not being received in Vegas.

So, to try to clear this log jam (again) I have today sent further copies by DHL to Atlanta. I can track where the envelope is and know when it has been received by Delta.

I'm thinking of going to small claims court in a few weeks time; what d'you thinK?
Do they have a UK office? I'm just wondering if our courts will deal with a USA problem if not.
That thought occurred to me too, Glynis.
I don't know the answer.

BUT, it's very clear that going to court should always be the last resort, after trying arbitration, mediation and ombudsmen schemes.
If you can't demonstrate that you tried all other methods before going down the Small Claims Court route, a judge may hold that against you when considering awarding costs.

Mark successfully took a Tour Operator to court and his tips and advice is in a thread above this one.
It might be worth reading through that before you consider legal action.
May I ask where you stand with regards to claiming for your lost baggage off insurance? If I wasn't getting anywhere with the airline bag handling company I think I'd try and claim from my holiday insurance although this would probably incur an excess payment. I'm not really clear on what situation you would claim from the airline or the insurance :think
As you are thinking of taking action against an American company, might I suggest that you contact the Better Business Bureau in the city where Delta is registered, as they would be interested in hearing your grievance and may well be able to lever in your favour.
The package is on its way by DHL, somewhere over the Atlantic right now. I'm off back to Vegas in 3 and a bit weeks, so I'll give it until I return before deciding on my next move.
Thanks! I didn't know about the Better Business Bureau; I have contacted the Altanta BBB, and have now filed a complaint with them; they have reviewed it, and agreed that I have a valid complaint, so they have passed it to Delta's BBB Representative, and Delta have a month to sort it out. So thanks again, that may just have done something!

(Oh, and by the way the DHL package has arrived there too, and has been signed for at Delta ( very impressive, DHL, thanks)
Got the Atlanta BBB involved; also found the direct e-mail address of the CEO. E-mailed him, and - surprise surprise - got a detailed reply from the Baggage Services department the very next day; this said that they had received the first set of papers I sent ( a change of direction, there, having previously denied receiving them).

I have since been away for three weeks - back to Vegas, of course - and had an e-mail from the BBB saying that Delta had responded to the complaint, and a cheque was in the post.

Got home, had three letters from Delta -two proffering yet more apologies, and one - dated 16 June - saying basically, yes, we've lost your luggage so we're paying up. The cheque is being sent under separate cover, and will arrive "within 10 days".

Finally, today, the cheque arrived, 20 days after they said it would take 10 days, and exacly 100 days since they lost the bag.

The whole experience of dealing with the Baggage Serices has been hugely depressing. They are very long on apology, and massively short in action.

Sorry, Delta, you may have paid up, but not even a free round the world first class ticket would tempt me back to your aircraft ever again.
Am sorry to hear of your awful experience Sancho but glad to hear you got your cheque in the end :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.