Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Airline Meals
171 Posts
You only get a 'shoebox' containing sandwiches on Air Europa flights. Regardless of whether you have paid for them or not, I do not call two sandwiches a "meal".
Every year I pay for the meals and every year I say 'never again' :roll: I don't know what they put in them but they always give me heartburn, regardless of whether it's breakfast, lunch or dinner. And why do they insist on giving you sausage, egg and beans at 4 o'clock in the morning? Having said that, it does break up the flight a bit, and adds to the fun of what to do when the person in the window seat needs the loo while the person(s) in the aisle seat are still eating... :roll:
Monarch for example will feed you regardless if you have paid for it
We travelled with Monarch on a short flight to Gerona a couple of years ago, never paid for meals, asked at check-in if meals were provided, was told 'not if you haven't pre-booked them', so we bought Pringles, drinks, sweets etc in the airport, and then were given meals on the flight anyway...
We travelled to Cyprus last month with Airtours on a British Midland charter, we didn't book or pay for the meals and the tickets stated "no meal" but the cabin crew insisted we should have one as they "were complimentary and anyway you can't sit here for 4 hours without food" Thanks BMI and very nice they were too :)
ellie_meg wrote:
we didnt pay for a meal with thomson nor did we get one, as someone else stated the plane was sectioned with people that had paid for meals at the front

I think that may have been me HERE (Scroll down to the eleventh post on that page.)
I am going to Malta with Thomson next July, they asked about what type of meal we would like but not about charges.

At the moment the flight is with Air Malta, what is the status with this?

ETA: Sorted they are free.
:D Just travelled back from tenerife with air europe, the food on this airline was disgusting, just the look of it turned my stomach, and it tasted even worse. Going was pasta and chicken,(With gravy!), stale bread bun, and a small lemon slice. Coming back was even worse, beans, half a slice of wafer thin ham (Or should I saw wafer thin gristle), and a yellow/greeny mound of (what I think was suppose to resemble) scrambelled egg, another stale bread roll, and a mini coissant!

When booking, (My travel- direct hols,)I did try to get them to deduct the meals from the price, but they said the meal was included in the price, and they couldn't do that! . This is by far the worst meal ever! Regards, BBB.
last few years gone with first choice excellent meals always enjoy them nice starter very good hot main meal cheese and crackers bun cake to die for role on tuesday for my next one :P :P :P
I have finally solved the puzzle about who gets free meal and who has to pay when travelling on an XL flight.....If when you book, the flight has the letter `V` next to the flight number you have to pay if you want a meal.If it doesnt then the meal is already included in the price of the flight.

Got that from Xl themselves today after an embarassing gaff on their part and now have a £20 refund to come....

They will try and kid you it applies only to standard meals...It doesnt
The fact of the matter is many operators consider its a cost to be specific about the number of meals to be ordered and placed on board aircraft for various sectors - in most cases food is loaded for short medium haul legs both for the out bound and in bound leg at the (say) UK airport. They know the passenger load and quite frankly order that load amount of meals. The crew and ticketing agents (especially for return flights from holiday destinations to the UK) cant be bothered in a lot of circumstances of figuring out where to allocate and seat pax who are having a meal or otherwise on board the aircraft.

Nivsy
We had the option of paying for meals on our Excel flight and declined. We got meals both ways - you got handed a box wrapped in a corrugated mat which you spread out, then the box contained breadbun, pudding, a wrapped Malteser Sweet from Celebrations and you cutlery, napking and a bag. Your hot meal was then delivered in ready meal style onto the mat.

Going out we had chicken something or other - chicken, rice, courgette, mushroom and whilst it smelt nice it looked like something the dog had just barffed. the lemon pudding was VERY nice tho'.

Coming back we had chicken, gravy, mash and veggies and chocolate pudding but as I was feeling ill from nasty case of holiday tum I couldn't face either.
Nice to see this option which was I first found last year in the UK when using Thomson has spread a little further.

I liked the small white plastic bag which you hook over the tray catch in front of you to place all of your rubbish !

CJB
We always look forward to our meals on the plane it's part of the holiday. Travelled with Thomsons to Santorini this year and the meals were great. I'd rather pay for these than the exorbitant prices at the airport. It's just a huge rip off.
The best meal of my whole recent holiday to Majorca was guess where.......and it was only £ 5 each way . Thomsonfly .
Come on -airline food quoted as "great food"? You need to get out more maybe? :shock:
I think the meal should be classed a entertainment ,the surprise of looking to see whats in the little tray and whats edible. At least it fills a little bit time amd even better if you get it and haven't paid for it!! CBG
On recent flights to Canaries/Spain we paid extra (£12 per person) for inflight meals.
I have a friend who also travelled to Spain recently and didn't pay the extra but received a free meal.
How does the flight attendant know who has not paid for a meal as I myself noticed that everybody was handed out meals and not asked whether or not they had paid for one!
On boarding the plane I noticed a print out with all the passengers names which mostly said 'no meals'.
It seems to me if you don't pay the extra for a meal you get one anyway! :?
It very much depends on the airline, for example Portland/TUI when they are using one of their own thomsonfly aircraft have a list of who has paid for meals and tends to sit meal payers at the front of the aircraft to make it easier for the flight attendants.

But it can vary from company to company. Often on Egypt flights which is where I have just come back from there isn't an option to delete the meals and save the money. I guess they think because its 5.5 hour flight people need food & drink (or what passes for it :shock: )

Its a bit hit and miss really.
I think the "optional" meals are causing a lot of problems for the TO's/cabin crew.

Last year on a Thomsonfly flight, the computer had broken down, so we all had to dig out our tickets for the attendants to check whether we had paid for meals. This involved a lot of rummaging in the overhead lockers!

I notice for our summer 07 flight to Majorca, it says no meals available.......so they've obviously abandonded them on short haul?
there is a theory that says if for example you go on a Thomas Cook package but the flights are with another airline eg Thomsonfly then whether you pay for the meals or not you will automatically get them as when they chartered the seats they have to say that all the people will have the meals or none of the people will have the meals so obviously they say everyone will then hope enough people will pay for them to cover costs.

bigbear
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.