Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
airport warning
28 Posts
Sorry to hear of another report of baggage broken into in Bourgas, a problem that has been reported numerous times on various forums this year. I have travelled through that airport and Varna 20+ times and have never had any problems. I always carry any valuables in my hand luggage. You should be covered under your travel insurance.
I am very sorry to hear this, I hope you get some form of recompense for the monetary value, although that won't help if the jewelry has any sort of sentimental value and it also won't help with the anger and outrage at somebody having been through your personal belongings.

It is always your first instinct to blame it on the staff in the country and airport that you were on holiday in, however it could easily have happened when your luggage arrived back in the UK and the handlers are dealing with it here. I often wonder what takes so long for the luggage from being off loaded from the plane to then arriving on the luggage reclaim carousel, and what is being done to it during this period.

We are just back from Tunisia and we were the only flight arriving at Glasgow late at night, the luggage was getting off loaded from the plane even before we were even getting off the plane, yet it still took 45 minutes before the first cases started to came through on the carousel.
Glasgow is a small airport so where were the cases and what was being done to them for this amount of time ? this wasn't a one off, this has happened the last 3 times we have flown from Glasgow.
Whichever side it happened, its absolutely disgraceful. As you say - what about terrorism issues. OK the things will be covered under the insurance - but that's not the point. I never, ever take any decent jewellery on holidays, apart from my rings which I wear all the time. I just buy costume stuff and carry them in my hand luggage.
I wouldn't count on the items being covered by insurance as most policies don't cover valuables in hold baggage.

luci :wave
People have been complaining for years about luggage being tampered with on flights from Bourgas.It is about time something was done about it. So sorry for your daughter,try your tour company and see if they can help.
its happened to me a couple of times.both when flying into bourgas from birmingham.nothing was taken but the first time something was added.it was about 1986 we first went to sunny beach,when i opened my suitcase at our hotel some one had put a book about communism in. :que and a couple of years ago when we went i had new suitcases but i didn't lock them.we arrived at the hotel and one of the locks was re set to a new number.it took my daughter ages to find the combination by starting at1 and going through the digits. :yikes we can laugh now but at the time it was not so nice.at least nothing was stolen
thanks for your comments.
this robbery happened in Burgas, I can assure you.
we were not the last checked in but our case was the very first one on to the carousel at this end, which suggests it was held back over there and when it was violated it was put on to the aircraft last minute in order for it to come off first.
I understand hindsight is a wonderful thing but, in todays climate of airport security and terrorism its the last thing you expect.
what would have happened to me if they put a gun or drugs in to my case to be picked up at this end? I would still be getting interrogated thats what! Banged up.

As for the authorities in Burgas airport, I think they are as guilty for allowing this to happen because thay obviosly know about it and are doing nothing to sort it. SCUM
stb24, I think t your theory is wrong, If your bag was last on plane and first off as you say, it would be at the bottom of the load, be it trolley or lorry, so would have not been first in arrivals. I have flown to Bulgaria on 21 occassions and never had a problem either end. Tonyt
I have removed a post from this topic and edited another.

Please refrain from making personal and offensive remarks.

kath HT Admin
I've never had problems either over countless visits, but I've used either Varna or Sofia airports, never Burgas. I think you are the same, Tony.

There have been reports about Burgas airport for years. There were fewer reports last year strangely enough, but this year they are back with a bang. Seems there is systemic thieving going on there, rather like at 'Thiefrow'.

I still maintain that its taking place at departure airports because there's more time. When cases are tampered with on arrival at Burgas I'm sure it's taken place in the UK (or Eire etc).

I agree it's not on, and sympathise with those ripped off.

Peter
Tony T you dont know what you are talking about.
I WAS ROBBED by some one in Burgas airport.
I will not correspond with any one sticking up for Thieves.
I will no longer be visiting this site.
Maybe next year it will happen to you. see how we feel then. goodbye. Happy hoildays
stb, I don't think TonyT was sticking up for thieves, he was merely giving his opinion as to how your case might have arrived on the carousel first.

I have flown out of Burgas on 3 occasions without a hitch but what I remember is We had less than an hours wait to board and that isn't a lot of time to thieve. Clearly it could well be delayed flights give an opportunity.

We are all too quick to blame Bulgarians, but I recall Heathrow has the worst reputation for thieving in the world.

The one piece of advice I would give any traveller is to take hard back cases with built in locks , I do, and no-where in the world have I been subject to theft.( touch wood )

:sun2 Toonman
or hardback as the case may be. (sorry about that couldn't resist) ;)
:offtop here toonman,
but would just like to say we use 1 hardback suitcase..got to egypt and it had been smashed to bits :yikes we were kindly given some sellotape to stick it back together :que

sharon
I always thought i would be safe with a hard back combination lock suitcase but if someone wants what you have in your case they will open it no matter what sort of case you have. The only solution is DO NOT PUT VALUABLES in your case.This year my lock was broken on my return from bourgas but thankfully all i had was dirty washing, which they did not want.
I have travelled through that airport and Varna 20+ times and have never had any problems. I always carry any valuables in my hand luggage. You should be covered under your travel insurance.

Varna Airport is horrible. I was roasting for two hours waiting for my plane in that abandoned warehouse Airport!

Bourgas was much, much nicer and luggage was immediatly put onto the conveyor belt. Was out of the plane and out to the coaches no longer than 15 minutes and I was with 6 people.
Varna Airport is horrible. I was roasting for two hours waiting for my plane in that abandoned warehouse Airport!

Why didn't you go outside on the viewing terrace?

Horrible is relative. Having your luggage rifled through and items stolen is horrible, and there are few reports of this at Varna airport, but many at Burgas.

Peter
Why sit inside, it is only two minutes to your gate from the viewing area outside. Tonyt
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.