Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Airtours
40 Posts
By sending the vouchers I would say they are admitting you have a claim. I would speak to Ros Fernihough who is a travel law lawyer and assists our members. She will offer you free legal advice - give her a call on 01922 621114
We had vouchers from Airtours a few years ago after a very disappointing holiday and had big problems using them, you have to book direct with them, they won't let you use them on a last minute priced holiday, in fact we couldn't find anything they would let us use them against except full brochure prices.
After booking yet again and not being allowed to use them, they were getting close to their use by date, so I copied them as proof and sent them back listing all the booking refs we hadn't been allowed to use them against and demanding a cheque, they did eventually send a cheque but with all the phoning over 4 holidays trying to redeem them it must have cost me a fortune in phone calls let alone the stress.

Good Luck
Lynn
I would have to agree with Glynis, this does sound like they are admitting you have a valid claim.

Having read many posts on this topic I can't remember having read of anybody else receiving ANY form of compensation, perhaps other posters can confirm what they have received, if anything.

Hope you get it sorted
Graham

I see Lynn has posted a reply just before me and she got vouchers, but was eventually able to get a cash refund, so stick with it :)
Hi Trevor

Wellcome to holidaytruths. Hope you get this sorted. Do phone Ros see if she can help. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

All the best
FB
We got moved to the Gran Costa Real after Hurricane Emily trashed our original hotel. We hated it and flew home rather than stay there so I understand your disapointment.
In the end we got some of our money back but nothing for our time at the Gran Costa Real as it had been all that was available.
Was there much of a price difference between the 2 hotels? Although our original hotel was much nicer with better facilities the price difference wasnt that much.

Good luck
Bridd
Further to Kiltman Graham's post, I can confirm that I have received compensation (in vouchers and cheque) from a couple of TO's including My Travel who are the umbrella company for Airtours. It has always been received on a 'without prejudice' basis.
We have had the vouchers I mentioned in my last post and just last month Roz the travel solicitor got us a cheque payout from MyTravel which was not over generous in the circumstances but it was more than we could have negotiated by ourselves, I doubt they will be given the opportunity to mess up any more holidays for us.

Lynn
iv just found this page and im very worried as im supposed to be going to the tucan in december with airtours. has anyone found out anything elses about this?
You can email the toucan 6 weeks before departure and see if they have your reservation. If not I suggest you call Airtours and if you do get to speak to someone thn you should challange them as to why your reservation is not at the hotel. Do not let them fob you off.

Check with the hotel every day and if after 4 weekds before depature they do not have your reservation but have others reservations from the dates you are travelling I would again phone them and request a refund and compensation.

Good lUCK.
:D
Just wanted to round this post off, received CHEQUE this morning for the full amount I requested. Had a lot of hassle getting it though, loads of calls and two further letters.

One thing is for sure; I will never use this company again. Be persistent, it does pay off.

Thanks for all your help.

TAE
airtours are a waste of space :roll:
Here, Here.... Airtours are the worst!
And just to prove my point about Airtours, I had a letter from them the other day refusing my compensation claim. And still not answering any of my questions despite me insisting on this. They just don't give a damn about their customers. I have given them a chance to redeem themselves by doing the right thing. And they have just tried to fob me off with a letter.
:(
Useless.
this link http://www.abta.com/ will access the ABTA web site and in the upper right corner you'll see a box offering a PDF download of the Code of Conduct. Look at section 2.2 which discusses Significant Alterations To Travel Arrangements by Principles (the Tour Op usually). and in particular clause (iii), sub-claus (iii) wherein the suggestion that you should have been provided with alternate accommodation comparable to the original (if possible).

Appendix 4, point B 4 clause (ii) strongly reinforces the change of accommodation for one opf a lower category and/or price as being a Significant Change.

This link http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1992/Uksi_19923288_en_1.htm gives you the juicy details of The Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992.

section 12, Significant Alterations to Essential Terms is worth a look as is Section 13 (2) (b) which specifically explains about the difference in price.

Neither document specifically permits the tour operator to provide compensation by way of vouchers. Both documents refer to the refunding of monies and my interpretation of such is the refund of monies you have already paid - ie. cash, or a cheque drawn on a Sterling Account, or a refund to your credit card.

If a tour operator insists on issuing vouchers this would increase it's liabilities. They would in effect be offering 'promisory notes'. As such they should increase the value of the bond they have lodged with the regulatory bodies. Vouchers are of course only valid whilst the company exists. If they went into receivership you would become a creditor - and not a preferential one at that. Even a take-over could effect the validity of the vouchers.

Threaten to report Airtours to ABTA unless they exchange the £495 vouchers for cash. Keep a copy of the vouchers for proof of thei acceptance of liability if you are asked to return them before cash is sent. You should place a max. of 14 days timescale on this acceptance.

Mike
Hi Mike

Wow you seem to know a lot! Thanks for the info by the way I am sure all member here will appreciate your help.

FB
Update On Direct Holidays.

Have sent final letter off and have given them 14 days to return deposit after which time I am handing it over to a solicitor without warning.

Keep U posted.
There is a lot of help and assistance regarding Travel Laws together with all the links in our Holiday Advice Centre :wink:
Glynis :wave

I wish they had adivce on travel problems even before you went on holiday like the miss selling of holidays or wedding packages. Advice on what to do if a tour op or agent ignores all your letters and emails in your efforts to hurry the matter and they take over 52 days to reply etc.
Surely these companies have a moral obligation to their customers to reply at least within 28 days or sooner if the matter is seen as urgent.

It would be nice if these matters were given some attention in the holidays advice section. As many writers are experiencing long delays in the TA responding to them. :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.