Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
alcohol in cabin
16 Posts
Many have a restriction but, by far the most severe are Norwegian. The cruiselines under the Carnival banner i.e. Carnival, P&O, Cunard, Princess, Ocean V and Costa allow it within reason and do not really check.
Thomsons have no problem with you bringing your own booze for your cabin. They even provided us with ice when we asked! You're not allowed to drink it outside of your cabin, though, which is understandable.
Never had a problem on any line once the stuff is on board(never had a problem getting it on either)

We leave the stuff in plain view and have more than just the stewards and butlers see it no problem(NCL).
This has included wine boxes and 5litre cans of beer.
We have just returned from the Caribbean with Carnival.....
and any spirits bought ashore were picked up by the scanner as you re-entered the ship, confiscated and returned to your cabin on the evening before disembarkation...... :(
With Thomson, on the other hand, you are given flyers whilst on the coach,,,,,giving you the prices at the duty free shop before you board...... :cheers
Same with Royal Caribbean, Princess and Holland America. They will scan all luggage that goes on board and confiscate any booze and return it on the last night.... they treat it like any other smuggling!
They do a body and bag scan as you come back from resorts, also.
They say they do not make any profit on cruise fares, so they have to make it on onboard services.
There are lots of ingenious ways to smuggle, though.
In many european ports the screening is done by local security in the terminal so not a problem.
Every Royal Caribbean ship I''ve ever been on screens you as you enter the ship- body scan and all your possessions go through the machine too, and in every resort too. I know Princess does the same but can't remember about Holland America.
We were able to buy alcohol in port on a Med cruise with Princess and were allowed to keep it. P&O state that they reserve the right to confiscate it, but I think that is to cover them if they need to confiscate it from someone who is obviously under the influence,

luci :wave
thanks for all replies.Would be to nervous to try and smuggle any alcohol on board,I could buy on the ship,is that right? Its put me off a bit,if we book it will be our first time and I am always a bit nervous out of my comfort zone.
jeanie :(
Hi All, do they scan the cases as well as hand luggage? packed a few small bottles of wine in cases
on Costa in Nov with no problem.going with Carnival in May and wonder whether to chance it :que
Ann
My wife loves a Baileys while getting ready for dinner each evening, and we always ask for a bucket of ice to be delivered to the cabin each night. On Thomson this has never been a problem, and the bottle is always on show in the cabin. Also we have purchased alcohol as presents for family, and brought it onto the ships without any problems.

Not too sure if other cruise lines are as relaxed as this.
The NCL boat we were on scans luggage on boarding, if booze shows up it is taken away till you leave the boat! If you go ashore hand luggae is Xrayed on re-boarding and bottles show up. I heard it said that plastic bottles don't show up but cannot confirm that. Buying in the duty free also does not work as they do not hand over the purchase but keep it 'safe' until you depart!

We did Alaska and although the bar prices on board were a bit steep we found that the bars ashore (even the grotty ones used by locals) charged pretty much the same.
We have got wine boxes, through OK on NCL,RCI,Celebrity in checked luggage.

NCL also offer a bar setup so you can pre order for the room if you do no want to carry stuff.

Princess used to sell bottles at the bar($20-$30) but stopped this a few years back.

No cruise line has yet refused boarding if you get caught with stuff against the policy.

Southampton port security(and a lot of the european ports) are fine with alcohol in hand luggage and not all the ships rescan hand luggage so you can take on whatever you like.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.