Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Alcohol
19 Posts
definately worth taking a bottle - spirits are very expensive - and I know a lot of people don't agree with me, buth the beers weak, and the wines awful - apart from that Tunisia's great

kev
Definitely agree with Kev regarding spirits but quite like the wine, especially the Magon (red) which is produced in Tunisia. If you like liqueurs try the Cedratine which is based on lemons and quite strong. I've never managed to get it in the UK unfortunately but am having a glass now as I brought a bottle back last time. Boukha and Thibarine are local drinks based on figs and not to everyone's taste (including mine).
take some of the good whiskey with you the hotel boss will chase you to buy it off you. :rofl
Yeah I'd definitely say bring a bottle, it's nice to have a few drinks in your room before you go down for dinner, drinking spirits works out expensive in hotels, so it's worth adding to them with your own!
Hi Aslemma...do you drink the cedratine on its own or with coke or lemonade, sounds quite a nice refreshing drink lemon based.
Also do you know of any drink that may be similar to Tia Maria. I also like the anise drink and lemonade its like pernod.
Carriejayne...x
I like it neat Carriejayne though I suppose you can mix it as it's quite strong. You can get it in the American bar at the Riadh Palms. I had a problem getting a bottle to bring home but managed to find one in Magazin General in PEK - the one in Sousse didn't have it. I don't know of anything like Tia Maria though I believe they do a pernod tpe drink but I'm not sure. Any imported drinks are very dear - have a look at the price for a bottle of whisky in the bar. :roll:
Hi Aslemma,

I found some Cedratine in the duty free at Tunis. If I remember correctly it was about EUR6.00 for a bottle. I definitely plan to buy some more next time I go over.

Casben - You could try boukha (a fig brandy) mixed with coke. As it's a Tunisian drink it's cheaper than imported spirits. I wouldn't recommend drinking it on it's own, but with plenty of coke it's ok!

A. :glynis
Bless you Sunstruck. :kiss I've never seen Cedratine at Monastir but am going to Tunis next month so will certainly look out for it - at that price I'll see if I'm allowed a couple of bottles as the family have got a liking for it as well.
A litre bottle of Boukha Soleil will cost you about 19 Dinar at Monastir airport just after passport control. In the supermarket it will cost about 23 Dinar. Quite tasty with coke or you can also drink it straight (chilled though) as an EAU DE VIE.
I've tried Boukha at Matmata some years ago Gert-Jan but can't stand the stuff, probably because I don't like figs, though I know it is almost sacrilege to say that in Tunisia, so I'll stick to Magon or Cedratine, both of which I love.
Bought Boukha just to have on our bar, but tried at hotel :yikes yukkk. will try and find the lemon one though. We buy a couple of bottles duty free to take over as all inc. drinks are very boring and I tend only to drink liqures anyway. :cheers
Brought back a couple of bottles of Cedratine from the Duty Free at Tunis yesterday - 8 euros a bottle. Read the 'allowances' on the plane and saw I was only supposed to bring back 1 litre so stuffed one bottle in my hand luggage and got away with it!!!
Hi Aslemma,

Glad to hear you found your Cedratine!! :cheers. Good to hear I'm not the only one who tries to be cheeky with the duty free allowances! ;) Just got back from Dubai yesterday and got away with a little extra! Am hoping to get to Tunisia sometime soon and plan to stock up on Cedratine and Vieux Magon.

Cheers! :glynis

A.
Hi Sunstruck, You and I seem to have the same taste. :wink: I usually bring back Magon as well, but this time I was only out in Borj Cedria for a weekend for a wedding and though the hotel was fine there was nowhere around to buy anything like that. I thought I might really be pushing my luck if I tried to bring back Vieux Magon as well as the Cedratine from the Duty Free. I also only had hand luggage and thanks to BA's generous allowance I nearly had a heart attack trying to carry my holdall at Gatwick. :roll: I hope to go back to Sousse towards the end of September if I can get a decent priced flight so will stock up then all being well.
Hi Aslemma,

We certainly do seem to have similar taste. I also agree re handluggage! At least from Heathrow we can now take a piece extra to our handbag. I used to keep my mini trolley case half empty, squish my handbag inside and as soon as I was airside remove it and pack all my duty free in the case!! Strangely this was perfectly acceptable! :scratch: But I've usually bought a bottle of spirits / liqueur (eg Cedratine!) and a bottle of Vieux Magon. I must remember to check the duty free allowance as I always get confused. Am tentatively planning my next trip for July and hopefully will get to Carrefour to stock up on the wine. And harissa. And tunisian sweets....!

Hope you find your cheap flight for September.

A.
Hi Aslemma

We just got back and found that they are now selling Cedratine at Monastir for 8.40 Euros :cheers

We bought 2 bottles along with the usual bottle of Boukha and Thibarine. :tongue

Customs at Manchester seem to be asleep when we walk through good job they didn't see the several bottles we had hidden in main luggage too :rofl
hopefully customs wont be reading this then......... :cheers
I guess one of the reasons so many of us don't use our real names on here is so that Customs and other snoopers can't trace us. :D

I've never been stopped by customs at either end but always try to buy alcohol in the supermarket so I can put it in my hold luggage - apart from anything else it saves a lot of weight (and the clinking of bottles) as I struggles through. :lol: Nice to know you can now get Cedratine at Monastir Ormmoth. though I'll pass on the Boukha and Thibarine.

Still watching flight prices for September but may just go for a last minute a.o.a. and book into another hotel when I get there if I don't like what's been allocated - I've got the phone nuimber of quite a few hotels in Sousse on my Tunisian sim card so that won't be a problem.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.