Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
I personally would never consider AI in a hotel unless the resort it is situated in had little or nothing to offer. But in a resort such as Benidorm which has so much to offer and at reasonable prices too, then it would seem a shame to be tied to the hotel too much. But that's just my personal opinion, I fully respect that of others who prefer AI to any other board basis, whether it is for convenience, financial or any other reason.

If you do pursue the AI option, you may want to check out this topic, which highlights the fact that some AI accommodation is actually self catering apartments, with your meals and drinks being provided in a hotel which could be some distance away:
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=140035

David :wave
I'm with David on this...Beni has so much choice, particularily on Food, Drink & Entertainment that it would seem a shame to feel tied to a hotel because you'd paid in advance for the drinks!...If you were a family with young kiddies then maybe worth considering, but in your circumstances then i really wouldn't. Some of the smaller bars are offering 2 for 1 deals with beer as little as 1€ a pint, the Cabaret bars its nearer 3€ a pint. Dont forget you have already had your holiday "loaded" with the price for AI, but for comparison put a search in on Travel Republic...when you compare the prices for AI with what you were quoted for other meal options at The Mont Park you'll notice a big difference! As a mentioned on the other thread...check out the Los Dalmatus if thats what you would like...or maybe The Regente too...they would be 2 of the more resonably priced AI options, and in decent locations, quiet enough at night!....The Los Dalmatus is just down in front of the Mont Park!

Best Regards - Taggy
Thanks for the advice, I'll print out and show my mate.
I would go bed and breakfast or self-catering. There's so much to do and so many places to eat and drink at, it would be a shame to be tied to your hotel.
All inclusive is for rat-hole places where you wouldn't set foot in town at night (I won't mention the places that come to mind) not somewhere with as much nightlife as Benidorm. I wouldn't even go half board as it means being tied to breakfast times. Get an apartment and have some room to move, there are thousands of bars selling breakfast for £2-£3!

PS. On reflection "thousands" may be a slight exaggeration, but there are LITERALLY hundreds!
I guess its Horses for Courses, all depends what you want from your Hols, how many are going, and what your Budget is really! For the 2 of you going for 5 days, you would be looking at around £200 for the cheapest apartments in Beni, and these would probably not be in as good a location as say The Calypso or Mont Park Hotels, which are coming in around £300/£350 Full Board. You'll pay more for better located apartments i think! So your looking at the cost of your food based on those comparisons as around £50/£75 each for the 5 days based in a Hotel Full Board....you'll pay a good bit more than that self catering if you have 3 meals out each day! There are times i must admit, that i would like the freedom that Self Catering would give me, but as i'm going on my own, Apartments work out very expensive for me!

Best Regards - Taggy
If I was taking kids under about 14 I'd go AI,

just 2 adults I'd go self catering,

The last twice I've been to Benidorm we went S/C

you really can eat and drink cheaply if you want to,

we had breakfast and evening meal out every day
wherever we fancied.

there's so much more freedom S/C.

It's each to their own really, you won't go far wrong in Benidorm
whatever you decide :D
I am going to go against the grain and say yes if I got a good deal I would go AI in Benidorm only because the magic of Benidorm is that as it's so cheap to eat and drink I would never feel tied to the hotel anyway and at least it's there if you want it.

For the last three years we have been self catering but next time we visit I am looking at AI accomodation.
The old argument again A/I, half board or self catering. Why go self catering when you can pay the same price for A/I ? I have stayed in the Dynastic, Crystal Park,and the Flamingo Benidorm and every visit has cost the same (or been cheaper) than self catering, and every day and night we are out and about,just because you are A/I doesn't mean you have to stay in hotel all day. The most I have paid is £199 for a week which means I have enough money to eat out with a few drinks
I have to say, this came from a Benidorm resident and a tourism employee. That's two different sources, not the same person. They are both good friend of mine, and most of their info works out 100%. I hope this isn't the exception, since I decided to post it.

They both heard that Rio Park has had it's AI application rejected. In addition to that, there are "several" hotels that currently offer AI that will not have their AI licence renewed. I don't know if any of this is gospel, but for people booking AI at some hotels, it may be worthwhile confirming what you are getting.
I have heard the same thing, although I didn't realise that the AI application for Rio Park had been rejected. I assumed it was their decision but having it rejected makes sense because why would a hotel promote the new AI so heavily then change it's mind?

A couple of years ago the previous town hall administration was put under pressure to restrict AI in the town and it looks like they are now making a effort to restrict it. I know people's opinions differ, but I think AI is a waste of money in a resort like Benidorm.
I agree with you about AI in Benidorm. It's the last place I'd want to go AI.
I have booked AI for next year in Benidorm after a few years of going self catering WHY because I have a young family, we are on a budget, and I am sick of spending time in supermarkets when I'm supposed to be on holiday.

I personally think that the beauty of AL in Benidorm is that I am not trapped in the hotel at all as I knows that it's so cheap to eat and drink out and about but I also know that everythings on hand if I want it to be.

Loads of people are on really tight budgets and like to know that worst case scenario everythings paid for before they go, it's all about choice and cutting AI hotels in Benidorm won't make any difference to what people can afford to spend.
I absolutely agree! If I was taking kids I'd want AI. :sun2
I heard exactly the same thing when i was over Pebbles, i heard that it was The Mayor who has decided to clamp down on the number of AI Hotels and eventually restrict it to 2 or 3 Hotels!

For me its a good idea, people may not alter the amount of money they can afford to spend, but at least they will be more likely to spend it in the Cafes, Bars and Restaurants and so benefit the smaller businesses rather than keep lining the pockets of the larger hotels and travel companies!

Best Regards - Taggy
On the other hand though Taggy with limited options they could give Benidorm a miss altogether and choose another destination with an AI package. Every other year I book well ahead do DIY and self cater but next year I really need the financial security of paying as much upfront as I can.
Stardust2000 wrote:
On the other hand though Taggy with limited options they could give Benidorm a miss altogether and choose another destination with an AI package. Every other year I book well ahead do DIY and self cater but next year I really need the financial security of paying as much upfront as I can.

Well yes indeed, but they could choose to do that in any case! Benidorm is probably the Cheapest Place in Spain to Holiday. Certainly once you are outside of your Hotel anyway. More money needs to filter into the local ecconomy otherwise places close down and holidaymakers have less & less choice & choose to move elsewhere. The situation in Benidorm was getting out of hand, and the Mayor has realised that. Yes by all means have some AI hotels, but far too many hotels, including even the smaller ones, have started going down the AI line, in some cases completely altering the type of clientel which used to visit some hotels, meaning people were actually being put off booking hotels they had used for years! AI Hotels have been attracting an increasing number of Stag & Hen groups, and this has not gone down well with a lot of people.

Theres also the thought that some hotels are actually out of pocket because of the amount of Alcohol consumed by British guests who intend getting their moneys worth! In resorsts that dont offer the quantity, quality & diversity that Benidorm offers then theres perhaps more of a case for AI, but with all that Benidorm offers, and with so many businesses tourist dependent, then AI needs to be closely monitored and indeed restricted, so that everyone gets a slice of the cake...not just the Richest & Biggest!

Best Regards - Taggy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.