Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
There is no way we would ever entertain A/I in Greece. The great variety of tavernas are a real treat on holiday and if you are on a budget its easy to self cater. We do not have to worry about children though. We did go A/I in Mexico, it was difficult to avoid, but expected to eat out quite a bit. We were mistaken, the food was fantastic and the choice was very good, especially the wine. The A/I in Greece tends to be in the large complexes in more touristy areas which we avoid but it must be popular or it wouldn't exist. I can see the attraction for children, with free drinks and ice cream available on tap its probably like paradise, at least until they get sick!
It's a sad state of affairs when AI becomes the only way to go on holidays. Having been SC, HB and AI many times before, in Greece SC or B& B is definitely the best way to appreciate the country and the lovely people. I appreciate however, that with the way the Euro is at the moment AI is your best bet. We have been going to Greece for years, but we have opted for the Dom Rep this year, as being far better value for our money.
It's a sad state of affairs when AI becomes the only way to go on holidays. Having been SC, HB and AI many times before, in Greece SC or B& B is definitely the best way to appreciate the country and the lovely people. I appreciate however, that with the way the Euro is at the moment AI is your best bet. We have been going to Greece for years, but we have opted for the Dom Rep this year, as being far better value for our money.

Agreed. I will never do AI in Greece. AI has it's pros- Food & drink virtually when you want it, good for the kids. (i supose) but it also has it's cons - If the food's not up to much, then the temptation to 'eat out' is very much there, therefore your spending extra money. AI hotels are usually big places with lots, and lots of guests, so in my opinion, your just a room number to them.
I could go on, but I think you get the jist that AI in Greece for me is no no!

AS for the Dom Rep being better value for money. Well, yes maybe it is. But we made that mistake last Sept. We wanted to go to Greece, but opted for Turkey as they are not in the Euro, and we wanted better value for our money. After the holiday, we came to the conclusion that, yes, the Turkey holiday was ok, be we wished we had gone to Greece.
I think youre right. I'm off to Santorini again in June/July and will eat out every night. I love it, it makes my holiday. A different restaurant every night is perfect for me.

If you have £700 spending money for last years holiday at Junes exchange rate (E1.26 to £1), then this year if you did exactly the same (todays current rate E1.11 to £1) then you will pay an extra £105 out in spending money.

Whilst I accept its a fair increase its not the end of the world and probably could be cut back on quite easily. Plus you dont have a queue for a plastic bowl of gruel! (only messing)
hi joeyc
I would never even contemplate A/I
If you go to another country (especially one as colourful as Greece) you have to venture out and explore the wonderful flavours of these foreign lands, that we must feel priveliged to be able to visit.
You will never get the full story of people and their history and culture staying in a hotel complex where the main feature of A/I is free ice cream for the kids and free cheaper versions of branded spirits which you've paid for in the package deal anyway (there's no such thing as a free lunch)
To all who read this, Consider : getting up when you want, lounging around a totally private pool, going wherever and whenever you want. And as for ice cream and cheap drinks, go to the supermarket and stock up for the duration.
You may be pleasantly surprised that S/C villa holidays aren't too expensive and not bad at all. :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.