Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Blondepuff

See you have been back onto the forum - did you see my post above and can you help with my query?

Thanks

Sian
Hi Sian, I've pm'd you but put it on here too. I'm really sorry I didn't spot the post on Friday.

Right, what can I tell you? We booked the Dona Alcina last year and originally it said on the confirmation that we could be in either the Dom Francisco or the Dona Alcina as they are next door to each other and owned by the same people. We then had another confirmation come through that said both resorts were now the Alor Grande as they had been taken over.

When we arrived we completely confused the poor Airtours rep as our tickets stated the Dona Alcina but I told her the Alor Grande! Anyhoo, we got a taxi from the airport to the Dona Alcina and sure enough, we were booked in at the Dona Alcina. I asked them about the refurbishments and the Alor Grande and they said that the Dom Francisco was the one that was in need of refurbishment the most and that was the one they were doing first.

We spoke to a couple of people who were staying there and they seemed quite happy. I think all rooms now have A/C but whether it is payable locally or not I'm not sure. They weren't aware of any building work going on but they may have been situated away from it.

I would recommend getting a taxi from the airport rather than a coach (if you are going package) to beat the rush. Have a look at your allocated room and if you are not happy ask to be moved. Another advantage to getting the taxi is you'll have more choice if needed before the others arrive!

We asked to move rooms at the Dona Alcina (nothing to do with the Hotel, there was a dog barking constantly in next doors garden and we didn't sleep for 3 nights) and they were more than accommodating and moved us to a fantastic suite at the front of the property.

If you don't like the room, keep sweet and smiling, asked to be moved and they will do everything to make sure you are happy. I wouldn't worry about it, they will move you if you are not happy. I don't know if you have been to Candolim before but the Alor Grande is in an excellent position. We wouldn't hesitate to go back to the Dona Alcina or recommend it, but we are looking for a private rental this time as we know exactly what we want.

Have a fantastic time, I'm really jealous. We can't wait to go back but have got to wait until December again.

If you need anymore info, or if you have any queries just let me know. Sorry again for the delay in getting back to you. Keep in touch!

Alex x
Hiya

Thanks so much for your help I feel much happier about it all now.

I have been to Candolim before so know how well located it is which is why I was so keen to book it when I heard it had been refurbed (that and we got quite a good price!). I know both hotels have had lots of previous bad/mixed reports in previous seasons. All the recent ones I had seen after refurb were good until I booked it and then I saw a bad one on another forum and got worried! Daft I know.

You are right I can always request a change if I do have any problem although I doubt I will.

Thanks again for your reply and I will let you know how I got on and what I thought when I get back on 19th Feb.

Am expecting to see many changes to Candolim since my last trip in Feb 2005 as I gather there has been lots of building work.

Only 20 more sleeps until I can watch my first sunset on the beach with rum and coke in hand - bliss!
No worries, glad to help. We had so much good advice on here before we went it's good to pass some on.

Have a great time!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.