Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Solobrummy

I don't want to point out the obvious, but have you read about this hotel on the Hotel Reviews. I know everyone has differing opnions on everything. Fair to some people is excellent to another. I tend to read the reviews and if there are more good reviews than bad I consider it, but more bad than good I wouldn't. The reviews on this place wouldn't make me consider it.
Thank for the obvious and yes I have read the Hotel Reviews,and on which travel and trip advisor.
But I also think reviews any older than 6 months old may not hold much clout as things can and do change for the worse and the better - The past 2 reviews (on here) are mixed I know - the noise is an issue yes but the other people who reviewed said it was good, thats why I was asking for comments on the hotel from people who have stayed there - as nice as it is to read a review, many people dont leave hotel reviews so I was hoping some of those people may have comments.
I know what you mean. It is difficult when there are only 2 or 3 reviews to look at.

Hope you get some feedback - When you're thinking of going to a hotel you've never been to before the do I or don't I -should I shouldn't I feeling can drive you mad !
It sounds like you have been to Goa before.If that is the case you will be aware that the hotels in the main tend to be average to poor depending if you are looking from a western point of view or a critical western point of view.

Reviews are always subjective but generally the more sites you visit the better idea you will have.

The problem you have as I see it is the expectations of your mother.If she has never been to Goa before then I am afraid whatever effort you put in to try to ensure she has a happy hotel experience can never quite prepare her as a first time visitor to just how different things are in Goa.

As many seasoned visitors know we just get on with the differences.New visitors are usually shocked until they find out the magic of Goa and then forget about the minor things like hotels and their standards.

I wish you luck.

Papa
The Alor Grande used to be the sister hotel of the Dona Alcina (they are next door to each other). I have never been in the Dona Alcina but I have been in the Alor Grande - never again. It looks very similar to the Alcina in terms of maintenance, i.e. none. If you are lucky enough to get a room around the pool area you will probably find it OK but if you get one of the back rooms (which are in the majority) you will not want to put your mother there, let alone you - they are akin to a run down army barracks - very shoddy with absolutely no view - just other back rooms. They are barely good enough just to use as a place to lay your head. Also I am not sure the back rooms have A/C.

Have you considered the Highland Beach. This is next to the Alcina/Grande complex but is a million per cent improvement. You get to it by walking down a short well lit side road full of shops. It will be more expensive than the other two but you do get what you pay for. It does have A/C and there are 4 pools to choose from. I cannot comment on the reception staff as I rent a private apartment, but the room and pool boys are lovely.
Papa you are right in part about mother being a 1st timer so she isn't totally prepared for the Goan accomodation, but she is realisitic and heard of my trips and seen the pics of where I have usually stayed. She isn't fussed about the trimmings so long as it is clean and has AC ....

Candybabe - when did you stay at the Alor Grande ?
Never thought of the Highland Beach will have a look around for the reviews. Do have a contact number or email ? and know what I should be expected to pay ?

Thanks all :)
solobrummy have you thought of a private apartment there are
some opp the Highland at Regal park,search owners direct,and holidays direct .
ann
We stayed at the Alor Grande when it was the Dom Francisco in Nov 2004.

Although our room was OK, it was very dark & dingy.
Lots of people complained and asked to be moved.
We stayed put, mainly because the room was clean and kept clean.
The pool area looked a bit 'tired' at that time.

I think it depends if it's been refurbished since it was taken over.
If I knew it hadn't, I wouldn't choose to stay there again, regardless of how good a deal it was.

I agree about reviews being subjective, it all depends on what people expect and what they get.
We can do 'basic but clean'.

I also think that a reveiw can depend on which block or even which room you stay in at a particular hotel.
We stayed at the Sunshine Park and had a really good room, some people we spoke to in another block said their room was dire, with the bathroom being 'alive' when they switched the light on - iyswim.
They looked at our room and said they'd have been over the moon to stay in there.

So, you'd have MY review which was good, their review would have been 'awful'.
Same hotel, same period, similar expectations - but totally different opinions.
aarond - thanks but as I am having the 2nd week on my own I was wanting a hotel to stay in so I have a bar and can have a drink on site if I fancy it.

Prettypollycat - I totally agree with you, a lot depends on so many variables on whether you enjoy it or not and 2 people in the same hotel at the same time could have a different experience depending on room boys, location of room etc etc.
Have to agree.The Highland beach may be a better bet.As far as Goan accomodation goes it is certainly one of the better ones and has at least 3 pools.Also very centrally located.

Papa
I last stayed in the Alor 3 years ago - the year they said they had "refurbished"it - this consisted of a new reception area which gives you a good first impression which soon deteriorates into disbelief. There are still many people who go there and find themselves in tears before they either get moved or get used to it. If you want to spend the majority of the time either around the pool or at the beach, it is one thing but any time spent in the room is depressing. Unless you get a pool room your balcony view will be other dingy apartments/back of the kitchens/area where they store the rubbish -please do not consider this hotel unless you can afford nothing else.

There are other hotels far better than this one, believe me.
Candybabe
thanks for that bit of information.
The Alor Grande is definitely off our list.

solobrummy
do let us know which hotel you finally decide on - and what your experience was like when you come back.
The Alor Grande used to be the sister hotel of the Dona Alcina (they are next door to each other). I have never been in the Dona Alcina but I have been in the Alor Grande - never again.

Avoid. Trust me, no explanation needed. Anything to do with the Donna A' is not worth it.
It would appear that Big Neil speaks for the majority.

Papa
Think your right papa.

I tried Highland - but got an awfully rude female receptionist when I phoned and asked for a price - she said 4000rs a night no budging for 14 nights, wasn't even inclined to spk to me - so feck em lol - think most the hotels are keeping prices up to try and recoupe for a poor season, but I'll not be bullied into paying over the odds.
SB, Have you had a look at Horizon View Guest House in Cadolim, on the main road a/c swimming pool near to Whispering Palms , good food English owned google it and you can get all details rates etc. even has a video clip. allan.
Yes I have and they were my 1st port of call - a friend stayed at Christmas. On the reservations form they ask you to state, single or double, ac or not - and I was given the same price for a single as my friend was priced for a double over Christmas week.

To me if the room just had a rate thats fine as a single I'd have paid it - but when they ask, single or double/twin then I would assume rightly I think that there would be a price difference, like when you say ac or non ac.

I did reply with my thoughts but they havent replied so dont need my custom
Know I am sticking my nose in when the decision has been made BUT we stayed at the Alor Grande 2 years ago aparently refurnished then. Love Goa had been before and will go again but never to the Alor Grande a Prison cell would have been cleaner and more cheerful than the first 2 rooms we were given. We finally got an acceptable room over looking the rubbish bins but hay ho at least the children didnt cry when we were shown it. Good choice dont go there!!!!!!!!!!!
no intention after hearing everyones report on it - thanks for reconfirming my decision
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.