Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
We have just returned from New York and would like to let you all know that American Airlines were a really good company to fly with. We had plenty of leg room and tv screen in the back of the head rest in front etc.
I also am not long back from the States having used American Airlines.
We thought they were very good but would also agree with the cabin crew being "mature" not that this was in any way a problem.

Carol
Hi,
We flew with American this year from Glasgow to Chicago, and overall the flight was fine with no major problems. I must admit though the Boeing767/300 we flew in had seen better days, and I think that also applied to a few of the more mature FA's on board as well, only kidding!! I believe AA should look at retireing the older 767's and buying the Airbus A330 which would improve their service immesurably. :D
I believe AA should look at retireing the older 767's and buying the Airbus A330

That wouldn't go down well at the other side of the pond! Although AA do run some A300's, I can't see the American national carrier replacing their aging 767's with european manufactured aircraft, ie Airbus. That would go down like a lead balloon! It's likely they'll replace them with the Boeing 787, although no orders have been placed as yet as far as I know.

Darren
Just to advise anyone who is intending to travel that this morning American Airlines has announced due to tough economic conditions and poor trading for the US airline, that they have cancelled plans to expand routes into Europe and this includes the Newcastle-Newark service.

Passengers who have booked can get a refund on the helpLine which is 08457 789 789

The airport have said that other airlines are interested in the route. We'll see if anything develops
Just to advise anyone who is intending to travel that this morning American Airlines has announced due to tough economic conditions and poor trading for the US airline, that they have cancelled plans to expand routes into Europe and this includes the Newcastle-Newark service.

Passengers who have booked can get a refund on the helpLine which is 08457 789 789

The airport have said that other airlines are interested in the route. We'll see if anything develops

Think we may see Continental come in here and operate a Newark service, as from memory they were looking at this as a destination, but AA got in before them.
Pilot 'arrested for being drunk'

An American Airlines pilot has been arrested at Manchester Airport on suspicion of being drunk shortly before his flight was due to take off, police and the airline said .......click here for full story

With permission from The Scotsman - 12 February 2006
I am booked on the AA flight 55 from Manchester to Chicago 25th June and I have reserved seats 11 h and j as it looked a bit quieter in that smal cabin.

I now am wondering if there is a window to look out of and if not I will have to change seats as I need my window.

John
American axes Stansted route

American Airlines is pulling off the Stansted-New York route after just nine months.

The carrier is withdrawing daily flights launched last October on July 2.

The decision follows the collapse of US all business class airlines MAXjet and Eos which both flew from the Essex airport to New York.

It is the second time American has tried and failed to make a success of transatlantic flights from Stansted.

The withdrawal of the JFK service comes as part of a major retrenchment by American as it seeks to cut costs in the face of soaring oil prices and a slowing economy.

The decision is expected to be the first of a raft of further cutbacks by the airline.

A statement said that parent company AMR will continue to make additional schedule reductions in other markets.

The carrier aims to reduce overall capacity by as much as 12% by the fourth quarter of the year.

With permission from Travelmole
We are looking to book a last minute trip to Las Vegas from Glasgow and the flight appears to be with American Airlines. We have never flown with them before. Are they a low cost airline ie a bit like Easy Jet? This is putting us off a little bit as its a long haul flight? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Also the flight is Glasgow to Philadelphia then onward travel to Las Vegas, but reading others posts I believe we would clear immagration in Philadelphia and it all seems pretty painless.
If anyone can offer any help or advise it will be greatly appreciated, thanks :)
Gemma33,

AA are a little more upmarked than Easyjet!! American Airlines are the national flag carrier of America. They are a 'full fare' airline as oposed to a low cost carrier like Easyjet. I've never flown with them personally, but I know people that have who said they were fine. Punctuality is pretty good.

Have you got a few more details regarding your flight? If you are thinking of going via Philladelphia, it won't be with American Airlines, it'll be with US Airways (flight US769/8 operated by a Boeing 757-200). For opinions on US, refer to Airline Quality and Seat Guru.

Darren
Dazbo, thanks so much for the quick reply.
Yes you are 100% correct, I meant US Airways :duh
I think the outbound flight is Flight No 769 and returning Flight 750.
Thank you for sending me the link re peoples reviews of US Airways. They sound awful :yikes and I think I will give them a miss.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
AA shall start a new service to New York from Manchester for the summer season 2010, running from May to end of October 2010. Assume this service is the "replacement" service previously operated by Delta Airlines.

Nivsy
nivsy,
Yes this is replacing the old service Delta Operated. Its nice that an airline has covered the route normally it goes and we never see the route again. With Manchester being my local airport its nice to see more routes to the US.

Z.J.C
AA now have wifi on their domestic routes in the US.

luci :wave
American Airlines are set to have 'cashless cabins' as from 1st February 2010. Any purchases onboard will only be payable via credit / debit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover, Diners Club, and JCB). Cash will no longer be accepted. Cabins have been cashless on US Domestic and Canadian services since 1st June 2009, but this will be rolled out to all worldwide flights from 1st Feb 2010.

Darren
I think this is fairly standard with most USA carriers Darren,

United and Contintental are or will be the same. Shame they dont just goive free drink (and by that I mean beer and wine)

Nivsy
Hello! :) I'm brand new here and I have a few questions. This certainly seems like the place to ask, so I was wondering if anyone could help? Feel free to tell me that I'm posting in the wrong place or to just plain ol' go away! Here it is:

My partner and I are going on holiday to visit my folks over Christmas and are keen to get the best "bang for our buck." We often fly Virgin and it's nearly always fantastic (last trip, we were delayed 5+ hours and refused any compensation, but that's been the only hiccup). For this trip, Virgin's prices are a little steep on the day we want to leave, so I have had a look elsewhere. It seems that AA is the best runner-up direct flight, but I have reservations because I have only had negative experiences with them in the past! Any updated info on their (lack of) leg room and (lack of) in-flight entertainment? I am more than willing to give them another go, but I just don't know if it's worth it. Here are the details:

LHR > BOS - Flight: AA6176 (Operated by British Airways) and BOS > LHR - Flight: AA108

First question, and it may be a daft one, but does "(Operated by British Airways)" mean that if BA strike again that we would be affected? I should note that I have been affected or nearly affected by every strike or threat since Christmas last year (I really shouldn't fly with the luck I have). If so, is this really worth the risk?

Second question, has anyone taken these particular flights and are they worth it? To be honest, we can put up with some lacklustre service/amenities if need be. I'm just curious because we could sacrifice a day and take the standard Virgin flight for about the same price. Just wouldn't mind spending that extra day with the family...

Any feedback would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks so much!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.