Spain - Canary Islands - Fuerteventura Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Fuerteventura.
8) hi there, i have been running a 4x4 tour out to the wreck of the SS America( locally known as the american star) and in the storm we had in November the ship has suffered badly. That night the sea turned the ship on to it side as the rear collapsed inwards on itself, then the funnel fell off with some of the structure and sank. The ship is listing and low in the water now, broken away at the rear section and quite likely to dissapear soon as she disintegrates further. Some debris has been washed up on the beach over the past month, including light bulbs, wallpaper and other items from inside the ship.
She is now a shadow of her former "wreck glory" and doesnt look so proud anymore!
There are several artifacts on the island as tribute to the ship, including the bar/resturant in puerto Rosario that is completely fitted out with the interior of the ship. I have several art works and various other items collected over the years, and am in the process of opening a museum to the America, just outside Caleta. So look out for it!
Anyone wants any photos, or info up to date on sites hotels etc, then please ask! i live here and am very friendly english fella!!
regards
loz 8)
Thanks for the update Loz: As you state the ships was originally the SS America but has also been known as the Australis and was definitely The American Star on her demise in Fuerte.

Here is a link to one of the many websites devoted to her;

http://www.flare.net/users/e9ee52a/S.S.%20America.htm

nick :smokin
P. S. Where are your 4x4 tours based :?:
We're coming over to fuerte again on suday, can't wait!!

We've tried a few times to find the ship, can see it lovely from those winding roads but don't seem to be able to get down to it. As time is running out how do we find her??
Take this link and do a search on American Star there is a lot of info plus directions:

http://www.fuerteventura-forum.com/

8) Hi Nick, I have written a book on the history of the SS America, my father was a pilot during WW2 and travelled on her after being shot down in the Med. She was the uss westpoint during the war.
My photos of the wreck and my tours are in the new AA travel guide to the island, should be in the shops about now!

I run my tours from my place just outside Caleta, i own a little farm on the road between caleta and the montain road towards Pajara. I keep my dodge weapons carrier there for convienience and will be using it this summer to drive through Caleta seafront to advertise tours. She is a 1943 D Day veteran, and looks magnificent out on the island!. I also have a willys jeep that i use to take people around in. my vehicles are unique and no one else has anything like it on any of the canary islands! My prices are not cheap, but i am exclusive, and have plenty of trade.
Look us up when you come over again. The museum we are starting for the America will be open in July. best wishes
laurie
8)
If you have "Google Earth" on your PC you can find the wreck and see the tracks that lead to it.
Talking of which :)

EDIT: Sorry, but the image has been removed as it is protected by copyright and may not be reproduced without the written consent of Google Earth/DigitalGlobe.
David HT Mod
Hi Nick ... that is clearly a different and very specific copyright notice compared to the more general one which I was looking at on Google Earth and Digital Globe. Hopefully that may allow the image to be restored, but please bear with us for the moment while we just make sure, as the fact that you are not uploading it to your own personal webspace may make a difference.

David :wave
8) hi everyone, well google earth or not, you are all going to need a submarine to see the wreck in the next few weeks because she is going under!.
my friend is a surveyor for spanish gov and the general thinking is it will be gone within a month.
regards
laurie
Thanks for looking into the Google Earth thing David. I realise that copyright is a minefield :?

P.S. Laurie any chance of keepingus posted with photos if the end is imminent.
8) HI everyone, just posted a reply on the Atlantic Gardens post, so have included update on the ship also. bye for now.
laurie 8)
Doesnt look like theold girl will see another Winter or pos Summer :( The last few weeks have taken their toll.

Latest photos

http://www.fuerteventura-forum.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12399
Hi, am staying in Corralejo from 18th April-25th April. I would really like to see the American Star but hiring a car is not an option. Is there any public transport or excersions that will take us there or any idea how much a return cab would cost?

Thanks

Sally
Don't think you would get a cab it is quite a distance from Corra and down unmade tracks maybe there could be somebody running jeep safaris that go there.

Hi,

I got quite a shock when I saw the latest photos of the American Star... I only ever saw her from a distance along the coast (it just looked like a dark shape sitting just off the coastline in the haze, but I knew what it was) as the cars I've hired weren't appropriate for the journey down the dirt-track, but the scale of her deterioration has been massive over the winter... it certainly looks like it'll only be a matter of weeks or even days now - she'll probably be gone by the time I get there (13 days to go!)

GK :)
Can someone please confirm that the wreckage of the American star has finally sunk in the sea, arrive home from Fuerteventura on sunday and we spent hours drivin around, to see it but this old lady who didnt speak english made the hand signals that it had sunk is this true if so when

Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.