Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Just love the 2 restaurant menus and will definately try both of them, I am 40 whilst there and was wanting a really nice restaurant for the eve of my birthday so think may do the Kantijl & de tijger that night.
May do Madame Tussards and Ripleys etc do you know if it is better to book in uk and are there any voucher codes etc for discounts...plus want to do the cheese and wine boat trip if you can recomend please.
Lastly the 2 restaurants you have wrote about how far are they from the Hotel CC? is the Hotel in a safe area?

Never touched space cakes or any other substances but lots of people saying the cakes are ok ... prob won't anyway as I am a bit of a chicken but any do's dont's in regards to which coffee shop to go to or not?

Thanks for all your advice I really appreciate it.
Liz
de Blauwe Hollander is about 20 minute walk from Warmoesstraat, de kantijl about 5 minutes less, but both are easily reached by tram from Centraal Station, which is only a couple of minutes away from your hotel.
I've never done the cheese & wine cruise, only the daytime one; I persoanally prefer the boats moored up by de Munt Toren, at the top of Rokin, but most of the boats are moored on Damrak, one street over from your hotel - either Reederij Kooi or Lovers will be fine.
As for coffee shops, remember the law has now changed, and it is illegal to mix tobacco with your dope, so it is much stronger than it used to be - be very careful if you do decide to indulge. Space cakes should be OK, if you want to try something without risking too much.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my quiestions I really appreciate it, I take on board all you have said and I will try out both restaurants whilst there.
Are there any good bars especially ones that may have live music on?
If we was to try a coffee shop which would you recomend?
Would you recomend a guided or d.i.y tour around Amsterdam we have 3 nights booked?

Thanks again

Liz
If I had to visit a coffee shop, it would probably be one of the Bulldog ones, there are 2 or 3 around the city.
As for a tour, if you've never been before, visit the Lindbergh offices at Damrak 26 (opposite the boat moorings); they offer a number of trips, one of which is a city tour, which will give you a good taste of the city, and you can always go back to somewhere that looks interesting.
Their website is http://www.lindbergh.nl/index.aspx

Live music venues are a bit hit & miss, other than concerts. There are bars that offer music, usually in the Jordaan area of the city, but best just to keep your eyes open for posters, flyers, etc.
Thanks very much, I may have some more quiestions near the time but think you have covered a lot of what I needed to know.

Cheers

Liz ;)
Hi,

Have just got back from a few days in Amsterdam. The area around your hotel is likely to be quite lively in the evening, but as you're going for a celebration that's probably a good thing. There's a coffeeshop near (if not next door to your hotel) - Coffeeshop 36. I didn't visit this time, but was there 18 years ago! Though doubtless much has changed, my guess is that if it's survived that long it's probably doing something right. If you prefer to stick to the Bulldog recommendation (and this is also a name that's been around for many years) there's one a few minutes walk from your hotel, on Oudezijds Voorburgwaal.

Something that may be worth considering is the IAmsterdam card http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visiting/iamsterdamcard

You can buy one for 24, 48 or 72 hours and it gives you a public transport pass, free entry into many museums and attractions, discounts on several others and discounts at some restaurants. (Though not at either of those mentioned above). We got one of these and easily made back the money spent very quickly and saved a good deal more besides. It depends on what you're planning on doing if this will suit you, but it may be worth having a look at.

Have a great time and a great birthday :glynis
Thanks Sunstruck I am glad we are in a busy location as it is the deserted streets where there tends to be trouble, I not one to complain of noise anyways as people are only enjoying themselves afterall.

Thanks for advice on transport around the area, I will look into that.

Cheers

Liz
Does anyone know if there is much in the way of (relatively) cheap places to eat/drink/use the loo close to the Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam please?

Myself and a group of friends will be spending a good few hours queueing outside the venue for a gig in March (armed with foil blankets and cushions, we're old-hands at this lark!) and will be going off in pairs during the day but ideally, we don't want to leave the queue for more than half an hour or so.

Don't mind what we eat, fast food is fine!
Does anyone know if there is much in the way of (relatively) cheap places to eat/drink/use the loo close to the Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam please?

Myself and a group of friends will be spending a good few hours queueing outside the venue for a gig in March (armed with foil blankets and cushions, we're old-hands at this lark!) and will be going off in pairs during the day but ideally, we don't want to leave the queue for more than half an hour or so.

Don't mind what we eat, fast food is fine!

Question answered elsewhere :tup
Hi :wave:

I've looked on many websites but am just tying myself in knots trying to find an answer!

I will be in Amsterdam next Monday, for a gig at the Amsterdam ArenA next Tuesday.

I'm staying at the Citizen M, Schiphol, with my daughter. We'd like to arrive at the stadium by 04.00 (yes, really!) to ensure a spot on the barrier for the gig. The last train is at about 01.00, the first at about 05.00, neither of which will work time-wise.

So, is anyone able to advise me if there is a night bus I can catch from Schiphol to Bijlmer ArenA, in the early hours of next Tuesday morning, which will get us there for about 04.00.

If so, I'd be extremely grateful if you could also advise where I buy the ticket (we only need a single as will be able to catch the train back after the gig), what number bus I'm looking for and where the bus stops at Schiphol.

Any help appreciated!

Is this any good Pippy - just done a dummy run and seemed to work but I've not gone in depth with it http://9292.nl/en/station-amsterdam-bijlmer-arena#
Glynis HT Admin wrote:
Is this any good Pippy - just done a dummy run and seemed to work but I've not gone in depth with it http://9292.nl/en/station-amsterdam-bijlmer-arena#

Thanks, Glynis! :tup

That is exactly the website someone else has just given me, don't know why it didn't come up in any of my searches, it's so helpful!

Seems I need to catch the N30 night bus :tup
Ah so I did post the link :rofl

I only put bijlmer arena amsterdam in google and it was 4th done on the list :think
Ok dokie folks some info required please.

Mrs. Kiltie is off with the girls (I use the term loosely :D ) for a week in April 2015, so I thought I might go to Amsterdam myself.
I have never been before and would love info on :think well everything really.

Getting from the airport.
What particular area to stay.
Getting around.
What to see.
Some places to eat.
Etc etc.

I would like a moderately priced hotel that is handy for most things that I already know I would like to see / do.

So far my plans would include -
Keukenhof Park and bulb fields.
Anne Frank House.
The Rijksmuseum
Cycling around the city - suggestions for scenic areas to visit if possible.

Any more ideas or an itinerary would be appreciated.

Thanks
Graham
Hi Graham

We were there 2 weeks ago - I haven't started my trip report yet but hope to get it done in the next few weeks. Great city, with lots to do but also rather chaotic at times!
Could try Quentin Hotel. Non pretetentious, wonderful location, clean and tidy with vibrant air. Train to centraal station from the AMS airport takes about 20 -25 minutes. Costs about 9 euros return. From Centraal either take the number 1 or number 2 tram or walk to Quentin Ledseplein Area....within walking distance you have loads of different eating establishments, Van Gough Museum, street shows, bars.There are other hotels in this areas that coul also be what you are looking for.

Nivsy
Thanks for all the info folks, I probably will take a canal cruise Groovee, are they all pretty similar or should I choose any particular one?

Looking forward to reading your trip report Corrine it will be good to get some recent reports and info.

Glynis you have confused me, easily done but Chicken Satay! is that some kind of speciality in Amsterdam?

Nivsy thank you for the recommendation and advice, would you say that Quentin Ledseplein Area is the best location to stay in?

How easy is it to get to Keukenhof Park and also bulb fields via public transport? or would I be better boing with a tour company?

Thanks again to you all, much appreciated :tup
Graham
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.