Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Try the Singel Hotel. Nice hotel, close to everything, and we had a triple. friendly staff as well
http://www.singelhotel.nl
Were off to Amsterdam for 4 nights from 1st January and have just booked The Estherea hotel which is right on the Singel canal near to everything. Get's excellent reviews and they do triple rooms.

http://www.estherea.nl/
going to amsterdam where is the best place to have sommat to eat
Brownetts, hey thats a good question! having not been in Amsterdam for a few years now and going next weekend - where is kool in the city these days to have a goos bit of nosh and a few local beers?. Also does anyone remember tram numbers from Centraal Station down to Damm Sq and Ann Franks house? Staying close to Ann Franks house. Also is the say 3 day travel pass from Schipol valeu for money? Dont want the Amsterdam Card etc....one it and seen it all....jsut good to travel around and have good food and a few beers!!

Nivsy
Hi all,

Im thinking of going to Amsterdam with my boyfriend at the beginning of April and would like to rent out a boathouse for the weekend.

I really like the look of the Lucky Piper boathouse but their website is not working (I found out about this boathouse through bedandbreakfast.com)

Has anyone else stayed in a boathouse? Any recommendations?

Anyone stayed at the Lucky Piper?

Thanks in advance,
Michelle.
I'm off to Amsterdam in 2 weeks, staying near the Jordaan beside the Prinsengracht/Leidesegracht canals. It's 25 years since I've been in this city & was wondering is this walkable to Dam Sq or is there enough going on here restaurant-wise in the evenings that we wouldn't need to head in that direction?
Any restaurant recommendations in the vicinity would be appreciated.
In fact any info/ recommendations at all most welcome!
:)
I love the Jordaan (I used to live there); you will find it's full of little (and not solittle) bars & restaurants, but some om my favourites are:

Balthazar's Keuken, at Elandsgracht 108. A small place, with a fixed price menu (€27.50)which changes weekly.

Bordewijk, at Noordermarkt 7 is a slightly upscale place, with excellent seafood. The fixed price menu offers 3 courses, including dessert, for €39.

Cafe de Doffer, Runstraat 12, is excellent for a quick lunch, or an informal dinner.

and for that special touch, try Restaurant Claes Claesz, at Egelantiersstraat 24, a traditional Dutch restaurant, booking advisable.
Thanks Doonhammer, :thanks I'll print out those recommendations & bring them with me. Sounds great!
We've just been to Amsterdam for the weekend and stayed at the Hotel Eden. We really enjoyed our stay here it was close the Leidesplein square. This to me is a much nicer area of Amsterdam than those closer to the centre. The square was always lively with street theatre and loads of bars and restaurants to choose from.

adam
That's great Adam.
I think our apartment is in the Leidesplein area so that sounds absolutely perfect! :)
Toatedmallow, if you're in the Leidseplein, try visiting De Blauwe Hollander restaurant on Leidsekruisstraat 28 - it's a traditional Dutch restaurant, very good for a light lunch, or a more substantial dinner - have a look at:
http://www.deblauwehollander.nl/eng/home.html
Too Late.........Been & back!
Had a great time and had forgotten (25years since last visit!) how lovely Amsterdam is. So quiet with so little traffic due to all the bikes. Mind you almost got run down a couple of times! :) Also the Dutch people are so helpful & courteous which added to the feel-good weekend!
Loved strolling alongside the canals and soaking up the atmosphere. We were on the Prisengracht canal & thought this area perfect as we could walk everywhere we wanted to go in about 10 - 15 mins & of course a wonderful selection of restaurants.
Thanks again for all your advice! :wave:
Hi all, could do with a bit of help.

We won some flights through Jet2, got the confirmation through today and they're booked for 10th-12th oct.

We only decided on Amsterdam because we know a few people that have been there, I'm not actually sure what there is to do there (apart from the obvious :rofl ) so I'll look through this thread after i've posted.

Anyway, we need a clean but basic hotel for the weekend, cheap as possible. We need to make this trip as cheap as we can because it's on top of our normal holiday, and my bf could be made redundant at anytime.

We're a young couple (19 yrs old) so want to be around a few bars/restaurants/shops.

I better go get some research done now :que

Thanks
Hi

Try Frisco Inn (INVALID URL (more photos of hotel on http://www.amsterdamby.com/friscoinn/). We have stayed here twice and it is cheap and cheerful. basic but clean, nice bar downstairs with friendly bar staff and resident cat called Rocky. It is just a few minutes walk from the station and is close to bars, restaurants etc. There are alot of very steep stairs to the rooms but we did not find these a problem (even after a few drinks!!). Book directly with the hotel, no actual prices on the website but they will get back to you very quickly with a price once you contact them either by phone or email. If you need any more info, please do not hesitate to ask.

Polly ;)
Hi Laura. I would suggest you try the Singel Hotel, (INVALID URL which is quite near Centraal Station, and a short walk from lots of bars & restaurants. The hotel itself is clean & simple, with friendly staff, and a nice little breakfast room. It also has a (small) lift, and you can rent a safe-box if you wish. A nice, simple little hotel.
Hi,

We're looking at going to Amsterdam for a weekend at the end of April, I've found cheap flights but am struggling with cheapish accomodation - can anyone recommend any hotels/guest houses or any websites I could have a look at.

Thanks in advance
Max
Read in one of the posts that someone had payed only £75 for a break to amsterdam, including ferrie crossing and one night in hotel, how do you come by special offers like this, seems an excellent price.
Hi

We want to send my parents to Amsterdam for their 50th wedding anniversary in August, via Eurostar.
Does anyone know if there are any deals about?
I could only find £300, without hotel.
And can you not get there direct, do you have to change in Belgium?

Thanks

Karen
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.