Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
It's a few years since I visited Puerto Mogan and it was fairly small & quiet - is it still the same?
We've been visiting PM for about five years now and it hasn't changed during that time. However, there is a tunnel opening shortly connecting it to the main road and a new hotel being built - so it may get busier then. Have been looking at Playa Blanca in Lanzarote, particularly Rubicon Marina - have you been there?
Sorry Helen have only visited Playa Blanca on a day trip. PM Bawbee who posts in the Lanzarote weather thread as he lives in Playa Blanca :tup
The resorts aren't really alike. Puerto Mogan is a much smaller resort than Playa Blanca. The marina in Playa Blanca is very attractive but purpose built and not at all like the marina in Mogan with it's pretty houses and flowers. Of the three main resorts in Lanzarote Playa Blanca is my favourite but it has grown at a huge rate and isn't small and compact like Mogan. The Papagayo beaches in PB though are lovely and well worth visiting.
Playa Blanca has much more of a resort feeling because of it's size whereas Mogan still retains a lot of a fishing village feel.
If you intend doing some Island sightseeing then Lanzarote is much easier to get around than Gran Canaria with not so many winding steep roads to navigate.

It was in April 5yrs ago when I last visited Playa Blanca, it was windy but a welcome wind. I don't know what it's like in October probably not as hot as Gran Canaria.
Thank you, Judith. That was how I thought it would be. Puerto Mogan is particularly pretty for a Spanish resort and very sheltered from the wind. I am very torn as to whether to try some where new or go back again for the umpteenth time!
It's a tough decision, it depends a lot on what you like to do. Playa Blanca is nice if you like going for walks as the promenade area stretches quite a long way and the beaches particularly the Papagayo ones a couple of miles out of the resort are lovely.
I think if you choose to go to Lanzarote the best thing is not to compare the resorts and just regard the holiday as somewhere different for a change.

Have a lovely holiday wherever you decide to go..
At least 10 years since I was in Mogan, so cannot directly compare. However, If you're going to Lanzarote then Playa Blanca is by far the nearest best thing. Lovely resort, best on the island IMHO.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.