Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Good question shirleyv, i would also love a genuine Indian carpet or rug.

PS If you cant fold it up small you could always fly home on it!! :wink:
I bought a Kashmiri one about 6 x 4 years ago. Although I couldn't afford the silk, and got a wool one. It's backed and it folded up neatly into my case, no problem. Can't even remember where I bought it (a stall, rather than a shop), but if you want a more expensive one, ask a taxi driver. I remember a taxi driver diverting us to a huge barn of a place with tons of carpets, right up to room size, whilst out viewing temples. They get commission from the owners (?the effect this has on your price), and will be happy to take you to one or two, I'm sure. In fact...just ask anyone one and I'm sure they'll be able to point you in the right direction. Be prepared for a hard sell. And a long time viewing.

Most will come from Kashmir, and their art originated in Persia. The higher the knot count, the greater the intricacy and clarity of design.

Learn a little of the craft and quality before you go looking/bargaining, and check the materials used and the knots per square inch of different ones. Therein lies your quality..ask them the price on their highest knots per square inch in silk, and work down from there. There will be carpets/rugs in between the highest price silk and the cheapest woollen ones
http://jammukashmir.nic.in/culture/occutn.htm#1

Good luck...my visit to the big carpet shop lasted 3 hours!
Shirley,
We have bought carpets about 4 years ago ours are silk on cotton.
We asked about prices as we are thinking of getting some more this season.
Carpets are priced per square foot.
Current prices for silk on cotton is £23 per square foot from the place we buy from. Wool will be about £14 and all silk about £34.
They fold up very small, we bought a small holdall and had them packed into it.
If you want the name of the shop we use PM us.
Steve
Thanks very much all of you for the advice, Lisa good idea , at least I won't get stung with excess baggage charges :lol:
Good thinking shirley :wink:Would be brilliant wouldnt it? :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.