Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
I have used expedia a few times, no problems. They aren't always the cheapest though.
Just used them once last March to book an apartment in Tampa Bay, no problems at all. We normally book direct for everything after a bad experience in New York when we turned up to find the hotel had not been paid by the internet booking company (not Expedia LOL) but they just happened to have the property we were looking at on offer.

Graham
if you book direct though, ain't it got more chance of going wrong?

like if the flight gets cancelled, you will lose everything?

i don't know much about it though to be fair.
just checked my invoice for our Easter stay in Cape Town. If we had cancelled and given more than 24 hours notice we would have lost £11 and if we had cancelled on the day( but before checkin time) we would have lost one nights accomodation. So - pretty good really :) A few years ago the airline booked through expedia decided the day before our holiday that our return flight wasn't going to happen and we would have to fly back 2 days early. Expedia were brilliant- the woman who was dealing with it worked beyond her finish time to get it sorted it for us. Upshot was a slightly later flight which meant an overnight stay in Dubai( paid for by the airline). Brilliant service and I made sure her bosses knew what a good employee they had.
expedia sounds like the way to go, its just worrying when you are using a faceless internet company rather than a travel agent, if you've never doe it before.
have booked fligts,car hire and 3 Florida hotels with expedia for August, have previoulsy used them for Florida hotels and not had any problems at all with them. They also pay good cashback via quidco , we have recieved over £150 cashback from our expedia booking doing it this way.
In my opinion the big faceless internet companies including Expedia are miles better than your local travel agent, I've found them to be much better in all respects, and I go long haul holidays at least four times yearly, and hav'nt been near a travel shop for years Alan
We used Expedia earlier in the year for our trip to Dubai in which we booked flights and accommodation.

They were excellent, first class customer service and the real bonus they did not charge a surcharge for using your credit card which most other TAs seem to charge at least 2%.

After we had booked the flights and accommodation, I changed my mind about the hotel we had booked and was very pleasantly surprised to know that I could cancel the hotel for a small admin charge (about £17) however, we selected a different hotel than originally booked and as it was slightly more expensive I was not charged anything for the change.
Anyone booking with expedia be very carefull as after you have booked and paid for whatever watch out for a popup from a company called Shopping rewards which offers you 10% back for your purchase, If you read the terms and conditions of it your actually authorizing them to take between £8 and £10 from whatever payment method you used to make your innitial purchase on a monthly basis, Take care
Hiya All,

Does anyone have a direct number through to Expedia as the numbers ive used seem to always be on hold !
The number I used was 020 3024 8208. I got that from "saynoto0870" website. Think I did have to wait a few mins before being put through, but at least I wasn't paying for the call having free landline calls.
I had booked two nights in the new Marriot Sanibel ( Fort Myers Beach actually), hotel was due to open in July, got an email from expedia explaining thaht the opening had been delayed, could i ring them for alternative accomodation. We had paid £96 for four of us for 2 nights at the Marriot, we got a free upgrade to the Neptune Inn ( should have been £200+ for the 2 nights) plus a £50 voucher for our inconvenience. Result I'd say.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.