Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
It depends where you want to stay really.

If you choose Vilamoura there are quite a few hotels on or very near the beach. The Ampalius, Dom Pedro Golf and the Tivoli Marinotel are right on the beach. The Dom Pedro Marina only a few steps away. Also Vilamoura has a really lovely marina which is ideal for those with walking difficulties. The area is mostly flat. Beautiful huge sandy beach too.

The further west you go it is more likely that the hotels will be on top of a cliff - dramatic scenery though. Praia da Rocha has a few sea front hotels but it is very built up - lots of high rise - we don't like it there.

Lagos and Alvor are both lovely places but not too sure if you will be able find a hotel that is on the beach.

Albufeira has lots of steps and can be quite busy - not too many hotels on the beach either - more apartments.

Pippa
For some one with walking difficulties Vilamoura would be a lovely resort with a beautiful Marina which is totally flat. Hope you have a great holiday.,
Monte Gordo near the Spanish border is very flat and accessible.
I agree with eviljock....Monte Gordo is great for people with walking difficulties as the beach and prom are so flat and there are lots of hotels close to the beach.
Just before Monte Gordo is Altura which is a smaller resort but is flat too with a lovely beach. The hotel Altura is almost right on the beach.
Pat
:glynis
Thanks so much for your advice

Pippa thanks for the detailed description it sounds just what we are looking for as we have never been before we didnt know where to start I will check out all the hotels you have mentioned.

Waterford it does sound a nice place

Eviljock & Pat I will have a look at this resort also.

Thanks for all your help :)
Hi Dawnlee, I would agree with the other posters, that Vilamoura would be one resort ideal for your requirements. My mother has walking difficulties, but has had no problems getting around Vilamoura, as it is very flat and everything is close at hand - beach and large marina with lots of restaurants & bars. I would recommend the Tivoli Marinotel and the Vila Gale Ampalius (book a sea-view room though, as they are the only rooms that have a balcony).

HTH
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.