Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
If you've looked at the Bodrum area, can I suggest Gumbet and the Serhan Hotel? It's a small friendly hotel which is really reasonable (try booking through H4U, somewhere2stay or Travel Republic. We used to stay there before we bought our house in Gumbet and still go back there to see the staff and have a drink or a meal. The Bodrum peninsula is lovely and gives a good opportunity for exploration.

You didn't say what you like in a holiday or your age group so it's difficult to recommend anywhere without knowing that but the above is just a suggestion. Another good thing is that Bodrum airport is only 35 minutes away so you've not got a long transfer time.

If you give us a bit more info, maybe we can suggest other places.
Thanks for your suggestions i will have a look at those. We're 21 and like a bit of everything really. Like to go sightseeing, walking, excursions and day trips. We enjoy a few alcoholic beverages in the evening along with local dishes :) but not too fussed for the party all night long atmosphere.
Thanks again
I would recommend Icmeler, lots of restaurants, only two night clubs, if you want to really party one night then Marmaris is only 5 miles down the road.

I will be going back with my wife and daughters for the 7th time in August, we always stay at the Moonlight Apartments (available through Thomas Cook), It ticks all our requirements so don't see anypoint in going elsewhere although I hear there are other wonderful resorts in Turkey.

Dave
I have been to all areas of Turkey apart from the Bodrum peninsular.I am going there this May but people are telling me its more expensive than Icmeler where I went last October.
I am going HB this year but last October I went B&B and was surprised at how cheap it was compared to other resorts I have visited in Turkey.
There are lots of excellent restaurant at reasonable prices and the local beer Efes was only 1 TL in some bars. :cheers
There are lots of places that do B&B from the sea front to the old village at the foot of the mountains.
If the cost of food and drink is important to you I would look at Icmeler as well as other resorts as I cant compare the prices to the Bodrum area until I have been.
There is a topic "Monies" on here ,if you find my post it will give you an idea of the prices we paid in Icmeler last October.
I would say Gumbet would suit you too. There is plenty to do there, lots of nice restaurants and bars and a few clubs if you do fancy staying up late. It is also close to Bodrum, just 10 minutes by bus so you can easily visit for a day or night out. I have always found it cheap to eat out in Bodrum and Gumbet but that is probably because we tend to go to local type of restaurants rather than touristy ones.

if you want to know anything else just ask.

Kedi
Have a look at Icmeler,the scenery is beautiful,nice restaurants and cheaper than Gumbet and Bodrum.We said we should try somewhere different one year so gave Gumbet a try,a big disappointment for us,brown ,dry looking around,not as friendly,miserable people not prepared to barter,food was the same every where,peas and sweetcorn with every steak,sorry to anyone who loves it there!!Have a look on icmeleronline for photos and forum.
Are you sure you went to the same place Crispy? I have never come across any miserable people in Gumbet, everyone I know there is very friendly. I also disagree about the food, we have had some lovely meals there with no peas or sweetcorn in site, there are some very good Turkish restaurants there, sometimes you have to try the less obvious places to eat. And as for brown - not quite sure what you mean there?

Obviously different people like different places and you didn't like Gumbet, fair enough but I don't think insulting the people there is very nice.
Kedi I didnt eat it Turkish food,I ate in many restaurants aroundand every place gave a free bottle of horrible wine,when I said brown,the scenery was just that!!Marmaris and Icmeler is so green.It was more expensive than Icmeler,boat trips,jeep safaris etc.If I had visited Gumbet for my 1st time to Turkey I probably wouldnt have gone back!But a lovely restaurant I can recommend is the Windmill,food and service was excellent.
having been all over turkey ,gumbet is 1 of my least favourite places and i agree with some of the things crispy said, we found this area a lot more expensive than other areas and not so scenic, icmeler is much nicer. have a read up on the resorts as what suits 1 person doesnt suit another
Our family did really enjoy the time we spent in Gumbet but have to say really wouldnt rush back there. We always enjoy every holiday we go on and the time away from the kitchen sink! My nephew and his pals (age 24+ ) on the other hand loved that resort and have been back again and again.

As said before on this forum many times different people have different likes/dislikes. Marmaris gets slated regularly and yet I really like Marmaris (though we dont say in the midst of things). My husband and I are in our 60s and are not really into Bar Street type places. We have family holidays which includes our daughters, son in laws , granddaughters so it is a mixed age group. We usually go out for dinner, have a stroll, and end up back having a few drinks with our hosts getting to know them and giving them a bit custom.

Back to the subject of Gumbet I do know people that absolutely love the resort and go back year after year. Just like others do with Marmaris/Icmeler but each to their own!
Crispy, Turkish wine isn't great at the best of times though is it ;)

I have never been to Icmeler so I can't compare, we did visit Marmaris and didn't like it there but I know many people do. I personally never visit bar street in Gumbet and I think I like it there because I lived there so it is like home to me. The main comment I disagreed with though was about the miserable people - I have never found Turkish people miserable in any tourist resort, especially not Gumbet.

Anyway Gemd21 I don't think any resort is "nicer" than another it's just people's personal opinions so have a good read and come back and ask as many questions as you want and I'm sure you will find yourself a great holiday.

Kedi
Thanks for all your opinions and ideas. I am currently looking through all the hotels and apartments. There are many nice ones. Ones that have caught my eye are the Bonjour hotel in Icmeler and the Elif hotel also in Icmeler. Has anybody visited these?

Gemd21
another resort to check out and is lovely with fabulous scenery and a gorgeous lagoon is olu deniz, there are lots of lovely b&bs there with good reviews

i dont know the hotels in icmeler you are referring to but check the reviews out before booking anywhere
Gemd21.I believe the Bonjour Hotel in Icmeler has had a big refurbishment this winter.Olu deniz is the next place I would like to try,looks nice.
Crispy, Olu Deniz is not nice. It is absolutely beautiful. A little bit of paradise in my opinion. Go and enjoy! :tup
I agree with Kedi that you shouldn't really slate any place if you don't like it as everybody likes something different. We went to Marmaris last year and I really didn't care for it at all. We also visited Icmeler and same again - found it not to our taste. But I can see the attraction for some people - everybody is different.

As for the comments about Gumbet - we have a house there and visit about 5 times a year. I'm not sure where Crispy who said peas and sweetcorn with every steak ate, but I've never had peas or sweetcorn with my steak in the hundreds of times I've eaten out in Gumbet! We've had some fantastic combinations of vegetables with our steaks - the tomatoes are to die for, the aubergines are great, as are the onions and everything else you get with them. I suppose it depends where you eat but we've tried loads of restaurants and still never had peas or sweetcorn. Our favourite restaurants are Chinatown, Cheers/Mascot, Seray Zetas and the Serhan Hotel (where we always get our starters on the house 'cos we regulars there). And I like the Turkish rose wine - maybe just my weird taste but I enjoy it!!

As for the people being miserable - the main thing that persuaded us to buy a house in Gumbet was the friendliness of everybody there. We have made some great friends and keep in touch with them all year round. When I get back to Gumbet each time, I feel as though I've come home. We were out there for new year and got invited to our friend's restaurant for a fantastic night with just his family and friends. Our house is in a Turkish area and the people couldn't be nicer - we've had some great barbecues in the garden, with their good English, our very poor Turkish and a lot of sign languages and laughing! Every time we get back to Gumbet, it takes us ages to walk down the street 'cos everybody stops us and wants to catch up with our news and tell us theirs.

And as for bartering - I've had some great fun bartering and got some great bargains. Also some of the scenery is great - it depends on where you look. The peninsula is fantastic to tour round and some of the scenery is breathtaking.

Anyway, I know this maybe sounds like a defensive post but I didn't want anybody to get the wrong idea - it simply is a matter if different people having different tastes. It's like some people who rave about Egypt, Benidorm or wherever - I've tried them all and wouldn't knock them but wouldn't return either.

Anyway, wherever you choose - I hope you have a great time. I just hope that you love Turkey as much as we do. :wave:
I agree,Every one likes different places.I have been to all the main tourist areas except Bodrum.I am going here in May and I will enjoy it but my hubby will be upset if he has to pay 5TL for an Efes,after paying 1TL and 2 TL in Icmeler in October :rofl The resort I disliked the most was Olu Deniz!The scenery is beautiful ,especially on photos but as I drove down that hill on the way to the hotel I had a sinking feeling.
When the coach came to pick me up 2 weeks later I cheered!
Its the only place in Turkey where I have been insulted by a shop keeper,but I gave him an answer he didnt expect.
We have Turkish friends who we met in Side in 1994 but they now live in Antalya,and the Turkish people are the most friendly on earth.
Imagine if we all liked the same resort and all went there it would be awful.
The Bonjour has had a refurbishment and there are photos on Icmeler on Line.It is in the main square and has a lovely retaurant.
The Elfi is next to the beach and all rooms overlook the sea,but the staff are not very happy if you eat and drink elsewhere.
The best thing is to research the hotel and company you are travelling with as if you get a bad hotel it will put you off Turkey forever.
Just ask one of the Mods. :rofl
totally agree that different people have a different opinion on various resorts. have been to turkey on numerous holidays and really love the place and people. have been to icmeler on dolmus a few times during some holidays in marmaris,liked it a lot. so last year we had a fortnight in icmeler, it was our least enjoyable holiday ever in turkey. did not think much of the beach and the sea was filthy. to much hassle,numerous bars closed because of it. so it is a miss for turkey this year,maybe next year but deffinately not icmeler.

all the best to eveyone. percy123.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.