Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Side is one of the most expensive resorts as its popular with other European guests.
The firsts time we went to Side we went B&B AND ate in the Soundwaves restaurant almost every night but this was several years ago.
3 years ago we stayed in the Hemera which was AI.
I am convinced Icmeler is the cheapest resort to go to SC or B&B because of the amount of excellent restaurants.
I think you may have read the post somewhere about someone paying £250 for a meal with wine for 4 people.This seems an extortionate amount as thats what we spent in one week and had 3 course meals every night,sometimes with a free bottle of wine.
We as a family stayed in Icemeler 4 years ago and it was loverly...and cheap!...........the only reason I didnt want to go back was the long transfer

As we are going without the kids for the first time, I wanted to go somewhere different, (have been to Tunisia AI for the last 3 years)

I have a week to change my mind about the holiday before the full payment is due....where do you suggest?

Nicnak
Side is a lovely old town but I dont think I would go there SC as there isnt the vast amount of restaurants that Icmeler have.
I am going to Gumbet for a change in 4 weeks time and staying at the Parkim Ayaz hotel HB which has great reviews and is was very reasonable.It was less than we paid for B&B last October.Its in Portland,Thomas Cook and Thomson brochure.The transfer is only about 45minutes from Bodrum airport.
I also found Olu Deniz more expensive than Icmeler and although we were AI I didnt particularly enjoy it there.
Hi
Having spoken to family members that have been to the gumbet region, I thought that it was like Marmaris!

As a couple on the wrong side of 30, the last thing we want is to be stuck with a load of 18-30's!

Am seriously worried now, am thinking either changing to Icemeler, or not bothering and going to Egypt or back to Tunisia

Nicnak
i have stayed over the last 27 years in most resorts in turkey, everyone has their favourite places for different reasons. have a look at olu deniz as its very scenic, theres a beautiful lagoon to visit. hisaronu and fethiye are close by with more shops, bars, restaurants to visit too, its a medium resort so smaller than icmeler but in my opinion more scenic. it really depends whats important to you, some of the resorts in turkey dont have a sandy beach, which is important to us, so if its important to you read carefully , my favourite place is akyaka, its very turkish ,prices are the cheapest ive come across to eat out as theres mainly only turkish tourists, it has a fab beach,its in a conservation area so no high rise apts etc and only a few packages go there. not sure if this will be too laid back for what you want, but transfer from dalaman only 50 mins

have a good read up on the resorts and look at the photo gallery too before you make up your mind, good luck
Although you do get a number of 18-30 types in Gumbet it certinaly isn't a 18-30 resort all over, the younger people tend to stick to a small area. Gumbet is also nowhere near as big as Marmaris, it is quite a small resort really. I lived there for a few years and my parents used to visit and they really enjoyed it there, they would eat at nice restaurants and have a few drinks in a quiet bar. There are also lots of other resorts around that are smaller and quieter too. All the resorts on the Bodrum peninsular are less than an hours transfer.

It really depends on where you eat as to the cost of things, if you choose more traditional Turkish restaurants it is still very reasonable to eat out.

Kedi
I found Gumbet to be a lovely place, early and late season. Peak time we went once and said never again in high summer. It was 18-30s then. We noticed the difference because we transferred to Icmeler for the third week and what a difference. Would not knock Gumbet if you go at the right time, for your particular age group that is. The weeks in question were last week July, first August.
Yes, that is the time it gets very busy. June is nice though.
Only my opinion mind, but I think Gumbet is nothing like Marmaris. We have been going to Gumbet for years and now have a house there. Last year, just for a change, we visited Marmaris and it didn't appeal to me at all. Now that is only my opinion and I know there's loads of Marmaris lovers out there as well. There are young ones going to Gumbet - but then again, there are loads of oldies as well (I class myself in the latter group!).

We travel as a family group ranging from 8 months to 64 years and Gumbet suits us all. There's loads of great restaurants - with prices to suit all pockets. We like it as it's only 35 minutes from the aiport, it's easy to explore the rest of the penisula and the people are reallt friendly.
You do not say what part of Side you are staying in. If it is the new Side to the rear of the west beach that has all the new all incl and half board hotels expect to pay more for evening meals. We stay every year in the old Side and find the restaurants to be be reasonably priced. (stay away from those on the harbour) Last Sept in restaurants in the area close to the town beach we were paying from 15 to 22 lira for a main meal. Beer was 4 lira average. The Soundwaves ,mentioned, is still very popular but is probably slightly dearer. Just around the corner is the Gul, very popular, and used by many repeat customers as is Emirs and Trios. Be aware it can quite a distance to travel from the new Side to the old town.
Hi
Thanks for all the advice...We are going to be staying in the Kentia Apartments...not sure whether these are in the old part or not?
We chose this apartment site as it was fairly cheap, looked clean and tidy, and had quite good reviews. Has anyone else had any experience of these apartments?

Nicnak1
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.