Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific

Discussions regarding holidays in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific region.
Australia- Q&As
148 Posts
Just south of Perth, about 150miles I think find a place called Busselton we visited there last year during our 3 week trip in Australia, it was the most beautiful place with a veeeery long jetty the surrounding areas have some lovely beaches too, it was the highlight of my holiday. Trying to persuade someone to go back there with me. Incidentally we flew from Glasgow with Emirates via Dubai, can recommend it.
4jay,

Did you do a stop in Dubai then??
Yes Lesley we stopped over in Dubai in both directions. If you intend to do this I would suggest you do lots of research and find out where you want to go in Dubai before you get there. I found it very difficult to get my bearings there but we were fortunate that we have some friends living there who took us out in the evening both times. It also breaks your journey very nicely, approx 8hrs to Dubai and 10ish to Perth which is quite bearable. Having accommodation in Dubai saves hanging around the airport waiting for connections too. If you want to ask anything about it feel free.
Thanks for that 4jay. I did buy a map, as I was looking at stuff on the net and found it very confusing! So I now have an idea of the areas, and some hotels are marked on the map too!

We're looking at Metropolitan City hotel on Sheihk Zayed Road, it had free connection and entry to their beach resort. I can't get any prices yet for November, aparently the hotels don't release their rates for November onwards until April/May. So we have to wait!
Got your PM 4jay.

Still looking at hotels, Emirates themselves do stopover packages, but not available for those dates until at least April they said. I think their packages may be competitive.
Hi Lesley74, we stayed at Metropolitan City in 2002, it is a fantastic hotel, you will be met at the airport, shown some of the sites enroute to the Hotel, it has its own Pub the Red Lion, you can get food in there, the breakfast is selfservice, dont know about the evening meal as we went to the Irish Village at night, but taxis are very cheap, and the coutesy bus to the Metropolitan Beach Hotel is good, the rooms are fantastic all in all you should have a great time whilst you are there, hope you enjoy it as much as we did, we are hoping to go again next year enroute to Australia
Regards
Margaret(Madmum) :wave
Margaret,

Thanks for that. Now all I need to do is get a good price on it! Rates still don't seem to be out properly yet, and anyone who can offer the hotel is doing so at over £100 per room per night. Who did you book through?

Emirates tell me I'll be able to get a stopover package through them at around £35 pppn, which is a bit more like it. The also do transfers included.
lesley74 we booked through Jetstream Travel in Preston Lancs, the ladies name is Pat Bamber we booked for Australia with a 2day stop in Dubai,they are part of Gold Medal Travel. If you can I would give Pat a ring she will help you all she can. If you are interested let me know and I will find the phone number for you.
Margaret(Madmum) :wave
I'm trying to hold out till the emirates packages come out, which should be cheap....but I may get that number from you then.

Thanks again for all your help.
We have booked a once in a lifetime holiday to Australia. I then realised that we would need visas so I looked into obtaining one and that's where we hit a problem. My husband was convicted of being drunk and disorderly 20 years ago when he was young and was fined. It was said that anyone with a criminal record would not be able to apply for a visa on the Internet but had to send off an application to the Australian Embassy. This we have done but does anyone know if he is likely to be refused one because of this?
Also, if we have to cancel our holiday due to this will we have to pay all the flight charges? The small print on our brochure says that the airlines can charge up to 100% for flights cancelled. This alone would cost us £2200 which we can't afford to pay for a holiday we won't have!

Any useful information would be appreciated.
We have booked a once in a lifetime holiday to Australia. I then realised that we would need visas so I looked into obtaining one and that's where we hit a problem. My husband was convicted of being drunk and disorderly 20 years ago when he was young and was fined. It was said that anyone with a criminal record would not be able to apply for a visa on the Internet but had to send off an application to the Australian Embassy. This we have done but does anyone know if he is likely to be refused one because of this?
Also, if we have to cancel our holiday due to this will we have to pay all the flight charges? The small print on our brochure says that the airlines can charge up to 100% for flights cancelled. This alone would cost us £2200 which we can't afford to pay for a holiday we won't have!

Any useful information would be appreciated.
I do hope you let us know the outcome of this Sandbee.
Yes I will 4Jay, it doesn't look like anyone else knows does it?!

We have checked with our travel agent though and as long as we cancel before 56 days before departure we will only lose our deposit, I say only, its £310 but it could be a lot worse. We will know whether the visa will be granted before the 56 days as we're not going for a while luckily.

I've read similar problems in the American visa section and I'm so glad we didn't book to go there!
Hi Sandbee, When you say 20 years ago, does that mean your husband was under 18 then ????? If it does then it won't count.

My best friend is emigrating to Australia in 3 weeks, her husband had a similar thing when he was 17. But it hasn't stopped them being accepted. So I doubt you will have any problems visiting.

Anyway the very best of luck

Regards
Lesley Jane.
Hi Lesley Jane

I don't think he was under 18, rather 18 or 19 years old, it was so long ago he can't remember.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see.........
I'm sure you will be fine.
You will love Australia, I spent a year out there, in my miss spent youth. It's an amazing country. I'm sure they are not going to refuse you a visit over something so small, such a long time ago.
Let us know how you get on

Lesley Jane :D
hi
ive spent approx 25yrs living in perth (now in sunny london)so if anyone wants any info/q's answered please ask & i'll do my best to help :D
Hi Tracey Travel,we are going to Sydney, Australia in September and going with Japan Airlines...we have a short stopover on the way there and an overnight stop in Tokyo on the way back...yippee......I found this site very helpful indeed and they also have a phineline (freecall)that you can ring ... you can also choose which airline you wish to use too...so if you would like to look up http://www.skydeals.com and see what you come up with...I will also post my reviews on Sydney when I get back in October....happy hunting :D
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.