Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific

Discussions regarding holidays in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific region.
australia
148 Posts
Hello, we are going to Australia in September and would like to know wether I need light clothing or thicker type of clothes? we are going to be staying in and around Sydney so any clues would be helpful...thanks

:)
well thats their winter season, so i would say make sure you've got your swimers and the likes with you, but you'll defo need sweaters, jeans and prehaps even a coat, it still does get cold there.. thing about going over a few seasons is that you'll need everything, so pack wisely.. you can always buy clothes when you get there
We were in Sydney end of November beginning December, the weather was very mixed, arrived to 30 degrees and rising but 2 days later it was down to 22 and quite wet cool in the evening too. A fleece would be a good idea as would a light rain jacket. I wish I was going again.
September is Spring in Sydney the weather should be mild with some really warm/hot days, probably cooling down in the evenings. Be prepared for showers.
I am going to Adelaide in September and have been told the temp. will be around 20-22°
Thanks for the info,I am much obliged...was watching a prog on tv last night and it said that Sydney boasts around 347 days osf sunshine a year...not bad eh??? with the luggage allowance not being very high,was just wondering what to take...clothes wise that is...but I will deffo take some heavier stuff...once again,thanks for all your help....booked this in January and thought it was along way off but this year is flying so it will be here soon...

bye for now
:D
We are also going to Sydney later this year, my cousin who lives there told us not to pack too many clothes as they are so much cheaper to buy over there.
What was the outcome of this?
Hi 4Jay
It all went well luckily. I had an application form faxed from the Aus Embassy which we completed. It asked about any convictions so we said fined for being D & D about 20 years ago,no more detail. Within a week or so hubby's passport came back complete with Visa.
As you can guess its been a weight off our minds, we can look forward to the holiday now :D
That is good news I am pleased to hear it must have been a great relief.
Where are you going to in Australia? I had my dream holiday last year, visited Sydney & Perth stopped in Dubai truly magical, and I just can't wait to go back. Hubby didn't go last time because of the long flights but I am working on him and maybe some day......
We are going to Sydney, Brisbane and Cairns. Like you its our dream holiday, i have wanted to go there since I was very little, probably due to having relatives there which triggered an interest.
We are a little concerned about the long flights, we won't be stopping off anywhere on the way and we've never travelled such a distance. i will try to sleep as much as I can on the plane!
What were the highlights of the holiday for you, 4Jay, any recommendations?
We had stopover in Dubai which broke up our journey a bit. When we were coming back from Perth to Dubai we travelled at night and it didn't seem so bad. We had good in flight entertainment which helps to pass the time, but it is well worth it, you will love Australia I am sure. We liked Perth but perhaps it was because we were with family there who were able to show us around a bit more. Hope your dreams are fulfilled, enjoy!
Hi
I am not sure if I am in the right place for this question but here goes anyway. Two Senior Citizen friends are going on a self catering holiday in Australia - their accommodation is already booked - and they are looking for advice on the cost of eating out. What would a meal of say meat and two veg, or a burgher or even fish and chips cost approximately. They will be living on a limited budget and would like as much information as possible on the cost of food. :thanks Myra
hi as i am new to this site can anyone help me where if anywhere do i find out things for australia and dubai, i have looked everywhere but come up with nothing, is there anything here or am i just looking in the wrong places
also a big think you to DOG for the repley about the shoes and the chemist, i have printed it off to keep and take with me
Thanks evryone
Ann
Hi Joshua :D

Try here....

CLICK HERE

Philippa :D
hi Myra
As you have not said what part of Australia your friends are going to if it is out back in the middle of Aus.it will be dear for eating and if they are staying in a resort away from a town it be more costly to .
If they are near towns you can get take away food that costs $ 5.00 to $8.00 for a hambugher or you can get the meat pie for $3.00 fish and chips about $8.00 the KFC and Macs type meals $6.00 to $10.00 we also have hotel meals in most towns that give you a meat or chicken or fish meals with vegs for $10.00 to $25.00 restaurant meals cost about $22.00 and go as high as you want these prices are in Aus dollars hope this helps if you want to ask more l will try and help you
____chubby____
Hi Joshua
As I live in Australia and have traveled over most of it in years
past if l can help you with any thing l will try .
_________chubby______
chubby that would be great if you have the time, myself, hubby and 11 yr old son will be going next year for 3 weeks, we start off in Tweed Heads for 6 days ,which is an hour south of Brisbane , we need things to do for a few of those days, we went to Oz for 4 weeks last year and did all the tourist things from Cairnes to Sydney, now we would like to do something else that the brouchues don't tell us, things and places and sights that only the locals to Oz would know about, we are open to all sugestions, after Tweed we go to Melbourne for 5 days, takeing an extra 2 days to do the GOR, then we are off to Perth for 5 days before we head off home via Dubai, it will be Feb - March when we will be there, so the weather will be good and we have worked it so we miss all the big events, like grand prix, commonwealth games, etc, anyway thank you for any help you can give us, we apperciate the time you will have taken
Thanks Ann (joshua is the son's name, didn't know what to put as a user name)
Hi chubby
Many thanks for all the info. I will be seeing my friends later in the week and will pass on your information to them and see if they have any further questions. I believe they will be spending some time near Brisbane but I am not too sure if they have a fixed itinerary. :thanks Myra
Hi
My friends who are going to Australia self-catering have been told there will be a 2 hour stopover in Dubai when they won't be leaving the Airport. They would like to know what currency they would need, what is the exchange rate likely to be with sterling and for a price comparison what would a cup of tea, a drink or some simple food cost? :thanks Myra
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.