Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
why don't the shack owners get a licence? is there a reason why they don't?
there is obviously a need for lots of shacks and lots of sun beds because they are mostly fairly full every day!!
goa has become very popular and busy over the last few years and people want to use sunbeds.
so why do the authorities want to get rid of the beach shacks such a good income for the country???
I'M CONFUSED!!!!
BOB :!: :!: :? :bhead
sorry to disagree with you Bob but after 10 years of going to Candolim/Calungute/Baga if iall of Goa was like that -sunbed to sunbed I wouldnt go again, its the same with some shacks putting music on far too loud, a lot of tourists want peace which they cant always get in these areas.
Incidentally the Goans are a clever race and often don't buy a licence because
1. they didn't earn the right to one (a bit of a lottery I believe)
2. they can complain that it is too expensive to tourists who often have a whip around to help them out (not that I am a cynic you understand)
At the end of the day this is something the Indian Govt can make some money out of otherwise they wouldnt care how many shacks sprung up.
cheers
Lyn x
There is a limit to the licences, this year about 280 for N. Goa They are alloted by lottery, and as all the shacks appear at the same place each year regardless, one suspects it's not strictly above board!!
As far as the ammount of shacks and sunbeds if one strays from the hotspots around the central sections of Baga, Calangute Candolim you will find loads of empty or near empty shacks and sunbeds, it,s just that once they get off their scooters or taxis a lot of people just pack into the nearest shack and have the false idea that its like that everywhere, which is great for the likes of us, who like a bit of space and peace and quiet, without being hassled by the hoards of sellers and leering Indian tourist that cogregate round the crowded areas Alan
hi lyn
your centiments are the same as mine really, but its the old supply and demand thing isn't it.
as a peronnal preference, iwould like it all to go back the way it was just 10 years ago !! and have a bit of peace and quiet on the beach.
the shack that we use (saritas) used to be in thew middle of quite a long open part of the beach, but now the shacks have crept in from either side, and are very close, most dissapointing.
rEgards BOB :cry:
HI bobthebus, we go over Christmas when the overcrowding is at its worst thats why this year we are doing 2 North and 2 South and if things pan out as I suspect we will be going South from then on
cheers
Lyn
PS as you probably know if you get away from the Baga/Candolim stretch the beaches further North as well as South are more like the Goa we fell in love with
cheers
We spent most of our time at Frank Zappas shack, just turn right off the bottom of the main beach road in Candolim - just past
the car park by Silver Sands.
They do great meals and drinks are extremely reasonable. It was never particularly busy and they are quite happy for you to sit there all day if you wish. There is a huge expanse of empty beach before you reach the edge of the sea and the sunbeds so you do not feel overwhelmed by people all around you. Either side are similar shacks. The shacks near the River Princess are busier and the sunbeds a lot closer together - cant really understand why but each to their own.
There is still peace and quiet to be had amongst all the hustle and bustle of Candolim, majority of shacks have great menus, food freshly cooked and wonderful. I loved Goa and Zappas 10 years ago and love it as much now - my first port of call after the flight. I arrived this year 2nd February, during my two weeks didnt witness a single lager lout or unruly behaviour of any kind. To be thruthful I was amazed how many 'young at heart pensioners were there - many on long terms holidays from the UK.
When all said and done is still a great place to visitand I can't wait to go back again
What a lovely way to spend your retirement.
hi lyn
we went mandrem beach quite a few times this year, really nice. but it is a shame that when youv'e booked a hotel thats right on the beach, CSM, you find it nessacary to jump in a taxi and go to a different one. still thats life!!
next time we go to goa we will almost certainly be going south, been there before, much less busy. we stayed at varca beach that time. probably 2 years time cos we are going back to cuba for some snorkling next year.
regards BOB
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.