Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
there are plenty ATMs. The only problem we had with them was that sometimes you were only able to withdraw a small amount. We have taken sterling and had no problems.
And just watch out for the money changers magic scam...offer good rates but then somehow when they are counting the notes out (you get wadfuls of rupiah) you end up short changed (by about a third).
That's because after they have counted it out on the counter in front of you they pick it all up tap it on top of the counter pretending to put it all together, they have a slot that when tapping the money the note's drop in nicely for them, very sly I must say OH came to blow's twice with them, don't ever use them as most of them do it and the police do know about it.
The hand is quicker than the eye!!
Just back from Bali... you certainly have to make sure that you are the last person to touch the money. Be wary if they only give you small notes... it's designed to confuse and they will also try and distract you and this is when the money disappears. We had an incident when this happened and my husband re counted and 100,000 short... there were other tourists in the shop and he didn't argue and handed the money over.
It's best to get 100,000 rup notes... easier to count and you don't end up with a thick wad. Also, don't except torn or ripped notes as often people won't except them and you will get stuck with them.
Cheers Geri
Thanks for the replies, with regard to the atm`s how much can you take out per day.
What kind of rates do the hotels give.

Thanks Mark
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.