Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Balkan Holidays
15 Posts
Hi we flew with Balkan two years ago and are flying with them again next week. The flight was fine, one of the best landings I have had (as I am scared of flying). The meal was basically a roll with ham cheese, biscuits, tea coffee. It was fine as we knew that we were getting that. There was no alcohol on the flight just free tea, cofee juice. Although my sister flew with them last year and she had a proper meal and alcoholic drinks were served. The Balkan rep at our hotel was great as well. We went to book an excursion with him and he told me it wasn't far from the hotel and we would be better just going in and booking a table for the show which worked out much cheaper. So all in all Balkan were fine. Hope you have a good holiday.

Moira
We have been to Bulgaria many times, and have always travelled with Balkan - we've never had any problems with them, in the air or in resort.
I travelled with Balkan Holidays this time last year with no problems. Am going with them again this year. If you search on this site you will probably find mixed comments - good and bad - but that's probably true of all tour operators.
We have travelled with Balkan for the last 3 years without any problems. Would go with them again this year but we found First Choice offering the same hotel ( Iberostar Sunny Beach Resort ) for £60 a head cheaper.

8) The Toonman
Sorry to burst everyones bubble .........I have flew with them 3 times before & will be flying this weekend too.

1st time from Prestwick no problems. :D

2nd time Prestwick (cancelled) bussed to Manchester, hotel not fully finished. :evil:

3rd time no problems. :D

4th time this coming Sunday flight day changed, hotel changed just today infact . :evil:

Balkan Holidays = ****
Have travelled with Balkan since 1989 with only one problem about six years ago.

Changed flights and the occasional problem of an unfinished hotel are not exclusive to Balkan.

No travel company is perfect, but overall we have found them to be very good and getting better.

Peter
I have done two holidays with Balkan
The first one we had no problems.
The second one to S/B we were delayed on departure. The hotel we stayed at was next to a unfinished hotel despite Balkan denying this on the phone at least 3 times before we left. We were lucky that the unfinished hotel didn't really have any more work done on it while we were there. However it wasn't a very attractive view.
Mind Balkan did write to us while we were away on our holiday with them to tell us there was building work close to our hotel :roll:
The rep basically lied that the Bulgarian village/night (can't remember which one) I had paid to visit was accessible for a double buggy, when I spoke to other guests they said I would never get there with a buggy. The rep did eventually give me my money back after I managed to get her to admit that you couldn't do the trip with a double buggy.
We got off on time on the way home but had to sit on the plane for over an hour at Birmingham airport waiting for them to get the stairs.
We went with Balkan 2 years ago and would have to say the whole holiday was the worst experience we have ever had,on return we spent nearly a year trying to get compensation from Balkan and finally won our case againest them through the courts ,where the judge awarded us almost all of our money back and stated that he had never dealt with such a clear case of complete negligence and lies from a tour operator before.Be very wary before travelling with them and if you have any problems with them ensure you obtain every piece of evidence you can because they will not admit to their faults.
Be very wary before travelling with them

Sorry Shazzacat, but I can't agree. We've had only one problem since 1989, and that's traveling with them twice a year on some occasions. All travel companies have their moments, but many thousands travel with Balkan every year, and have no complaints.

if you have any problems with them ensure you obtain every piece of evidence you can because they will not admit to their faults.

All travel companies are the same, you have to collect the evidence and prove your case.

Peter
been 3 times with balkan and had no problem.went with first choice last year and got ripped off.the holiday was fine though :roll:
Hi Seahunt, How did you get ripped off by First Choice? Asking because we are going with them this year.

8) Toonman
Peter of york-I have no doubt there are many delighted customers who travel with Balkan,however only having booked one holiday with them which turned out to be a nightmare experience,i can only go by my own experience amd can only give my honest opinion of them.
With regards to the evidence needed if you have a problem with them is that we were able to prove our case in court as we had almost 50 pages of photos,writtern statements from other holidaymakers and even Balkans own rep at the hotel,even with all this Balkan refused to look at the evidence or our claim for compensation at all and left us with no alternative but to take legal action.In court the judge told them that it was clear they had broken various tour and package regs and that they even had statements and photos in their brochure that were of other hotels not our hotel giving the impression that the hotel was completely different to the one it actually was.Most other tour operators would at least consider the evidence we sent them and advise the customer of what if any compensation they think would be appropriate.
Most other tour operators would at least consider the evidence we sent them and advise the customer of what if any compensation they think would be appropriate.

Not necessarily so, in the past I've taken on other companies and it's fight fight fight all the way.

I'm glad you won, I'm a great believer in not letting any travel company get away with it, and the one problem I had with Balkan cost them a lot of money. Far more than the cost of the holiday, it was a hefty fine.

But, I know they learn from mistakes, and that my case is now cited for training purposes!

Peter
ref BALKAN HOLIDAYS.
I have had an ongoing problem with the company which I will not go into, however like many thousands of travellers with them I have always filled in the Questionaire on return journey. In my last letter dated 28th June I asked when and where are the results printed of the lucky winner of Travel vouchers, my reply to day signed by Customers Service Executive reads"we are currently awaiting an answer from our PR Department and this is for the result of 2005 holidays which finished Oct. Tonyt
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.