Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
They may not have known when you booked, Susan - they are probably adapting their itineraries according to levels of bookings at each airport.

At least you're hopefully not having to fly to Burgas & then coach to the Varna area like their flights from some UK airports.

Baldur
Oh, I bet they did know Baldur. It would`nt stop me going but I wish they would be honest from the start. Every year we say we wont do it again, come October and I have to book. No patience me!
Forgot to say. Yes it could be worse about Bourgas.
They can hardly have known that they wouldn't fill the aircraft from your airport in October, so wouldn't have routed it via East Midlands until well after then, to combine the two flights.

Each landing/takeoff costs them extra in airport fees, so they aren't likely to do so unless it's economically necessary for their business, albeit frustrating for their customers.

They have been showing the Burgas landings for Varna area holidays from certain airports on their website since last year, so that was obviously planned & notified to customers well in advance.
I`ve been going to Drouzhba for 22 years. My best friend`s husband is a pilot. He worked for Balkan Air for many years till they went bums up. He now works for another Bulg airline. They know absolutely their summer programme in advance. I love Bulgaria so much and would never stop going. I just wish I knew they where going to do it. I hate flying! Two take offs is too many. Like you said Baldur, I could be getting bussed to Varna. I would hate that. Suppose I should be gratefull for small mercies. I was just letting off steam. Still glad to be going.
The last twice that I flew to Varna from Cardiff, we had to fly past Cardiff on the return leg, land at Belfast & sit on the tarmac for an hour or so, before flying back to Cardiff.

That's why I only fly with scheduled airlines (BA or Bulgaria Air - which was the former Balkan Airlines which became bankrupt in 2002, not Balkan Holidays Air ;) ) from Gatwick these days.
  • Edited by Baldur 2008-03-08 17:04:53
Oh I`m sorry for you. I would really have steam coming out of my ears. We can only grit our teeth and bear it. We are a captive audience are`nt we? I`m off next Thurs, Man-Sof-Var with Bulgaria Air. I cant wait but hate the travelling. Sue.
The Manchester Bulgaria Air flight is always routed via Sofia, because they can't fill it, isn't it? That would drive me wild too - at least if I travel from Wales to Gatwick, the flight is straight through to Varna (although there can be delays at times in the summer season).

Have a great time, despite the flights!

Baldur
I have`nt done it for ages. I`ve gone through Frankfurt, Munich, Heathrow, Gatwick. I have`nt been since Oct and went BA thro Gatwick. Man-Gat-Var. They lost my luggage. I`m sure its cos there was`nt time between connections. Anyway it came 1 day later all smashed up but all my stuff was still inside. I`ll let you know if all was ok when I`m back. Thanks for your good wishes. Sue.
Well, went and all was ok. We were delayed at Sofia for 1 hour. My cousin nearly died when she saw the plane to Varna. It looked like yobs had kicked it in! It was the old ATR that Balkan bought years ago from France. It was. I asked my friend and he confirmed it. Anyway,it got us there. Had a great time in Varna. Weather was ok. Arrived home 1 day late but it all adds to the excitement!
Glad to hear that you had a good time, despite the flights. ;)

Baldur
Thanks Baldur. Cant wait for June now. Hope the weather is ok. Sue.
Do you not think it funny that they inform you of changes so late that you cant write to complain i found out we have to bus it from bourgas to varna on tue which means i cant make a complaint because its within the 28 days writing notice.(nice one balkan) first and probably last time i use them. :que oh yes we have to make our own way to golden sands buy taxi and im traveling with a pensioner and a four year old. (nightmare)
oh yes we have to make our own way to golden sands buy taxi and im traveling with a pensioner and a four year old. (nightmare)

Not if you're on a package, according to their Booking Conditions, Paragraph 8, "It may also be necessary to change your arrival/departure airport in Bulgaria from Varna to Bourgas and vice versa. In all such cases, transportation between the airport and your holiday accommodation will be provided."

If you are on a package, rather than flight only, contact them ASAP, quoting the above.

Baldur
yea i know i booked through great choice holidays but they are passing the travel arrangements onto balkan because they changed the flight destination think i will try to contact balkan dont think it will matter though tiny bit peeeeed off.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.