Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Hi Ian
welcome to HT! I haven't stayed in the Bel Aire but it is a popular hotel. We stayed close by in Sukhumvit. Great area for restaurants. Just check that it is close to the sky train as you will use this all the time.
Take a look at our Thailand thread at the top of the page for loads on bangkok! I'm sure you will have a great time!
Ian, I've not stayed in either of the hotels you mention in Bangkok and KL, but stayed at the Rasa Ria last year and have just written a reply about it in another thread here -
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=49327
I have stayed in the Grand Plaza Park Royal in KL it is a good 4 star hotel,
go for a deluxe room (rather than superior) as they are good quality and rather large. I stayed in this hotel about 6 years ago and it was very average but went back this year and it has been totally referebished beyond all recognition and was very good. It is located right in the middle of the best shopping in KL (at least 5 shopping centres within a 5 minute walk) and is a 5 minute taxi ride from the twin towers, there is also a monorail stop about 1 minute away.
Many thanks all for you replies. I have made a few changes to trip so we're all ready for the off next year. I'm looking forward to it - although my girlfriend kindly informed me last night that apparently the foreign office is now issuing a warning against travelling in Asia due to Bird Flu. If you are planning on a trip to Asia, partcularly Vietnam, the advice is to stay clear of areas with live poultry!! Sound kinda of difficult to me if your visiting the markets!!

Thanks again
Ian
Ian,

This World Health Organization summary of bird flu cases may help to put your girlfriend's mind at ease -

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/country/cases_table_2005_08_05/en/index.html

According to their stats, Thailand and Malaysia seem pretty safe.

Also, I couldn't see any warnings against travelling to Asia on the Foreign Office website, just some general advice to exercise the following precautions when visiting regions affected by outbreaks:-

You should:

Avoid visiting live animal markets and poultry farms
Avoid contact with surfaces contaminated with animal faeces
Not eat or handle undercooked or raw poultry, egg or duck dishes
Not attempt to bring any live poultry products back to the UK

Quote from http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1115137377255

Hope this helps.
Thanks very much for the information....I have been to the links you hae provided and they proved extremely helpful. We will certainly heed the warnings and take precautions.

Thanks again
Ian
Hope you manage to heed the last one about not bringing back any live poultry - that should be a toughie!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.